Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,290,704 times

Advertisements

Next week I have to set up either one of these companies for my TV service. I'm leaning towards Direct TV but is it a good choice compared to the other two companies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,738,618 times
No one can give you a true answer w/o learning more information from you...each service has their positives and negatives...many people have very strong feelings about the topic...lol

What are your preferences? Do you like a certain sports team? Do you like premium channels? How much do you watch? Is DVR/Tivo important?

See what I mean? There are a bunch of questions people need to know to at least guide you in the right direction

Old 03-06-2010, 06:26 AM

414 posts, read 1,278,582 times
I'd rather use rabbit ears than TWC again....

Old 03-06-2010, 09:46 AM

109 posts, read 346,111 times
We just kicked TWC to the curb for good! Woohoo!! Now, we just use Netflix (dvd and on demand through the PS3), and we have our Mac hooked up to output to the TV. Most shows we were dvr'ing are available online free.

If you must have a service, I would go with DirecTV - we don't have that option in our home (too many trees).

Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,290,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
Next week I have to set up either one of these companies for my TV service. I'm leaning towards Direct TV but is it a good choice compared to the other two companies
I do love my Boston Red Sox but I could live without watching every game lol!! Premium channels aren't extremely important maybe HBO but that's it. We don't need Tivo either. I know Dish Network is cheaper than Direct TV but I've heard many negative things about them

Old 03-06-2010, 10:11 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,396,508 times
I've DirecTV for 5 yrs and have no complaints. I am always able to get discounts on programing-gotta ask for them. They try very hard to keep you a customer. I have had very few outages and they have lots of HD channels.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 AM

314 posts, read 486,801 times
I have used Directv for the last 10 years and love it. I love sports and Directv is the way to go if that is what you enjoy.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,647,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I've DirecTV for 5 yrs and have no complaints. I am always able to get discounts on programing-gotta ask for them. They try very hard to keep you a customer. I have had very few outages and they have lots of HD channels.
We had DirectTV for years. Our only issue with them was when we wanted to upgrade to HD they told us they would have drill another hole in the house to add more wiring. My husband wasn't thrilled with that. We called Dish and they came out and they could do the upgrade without adding another line. Plus they were cheaper so we went with them. No problems at all with Dish.

So it's not much help but we liked both Direct and Dish. Never would go back to cable.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 AM

673 posts, read 2,682,203 times
Default Dish vs. Direct TV

I have DISH Network right now and want to upgrade to HD. They want to charge me an arm and a leg to do this! They seem to not care about customer retention. If I switch to Direct TV, I can get a lot of what I want for free at a better rate for a promotional time period. Is it worth it to switch just for this reason? Other than that, I am happy with DISH Network.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:31 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,647,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I have DISH Network right now and want to upgrade to HD. They want to charge me an arm and a leg to do this! They seem to not care about customer retention. If I switch to Direct TV, I can get a lot of what I want for free at a better rate for a promotional time period. Is it worth it to switch just for this reason? Other than that, I am happy with DISH Network.
When we had Direct and want to upgrade (before we found out about the extra wiring), they wanted to charge a huge amount too. My husband said thanks, but no thanks we'll switch to Dish or cable. They lowered the fees because they didn't want to lose us. Again the only reason we left was because of the added wiring. Try telling Dish the same thing and see if they will lower it. Otherwise I would go with Direct unless the fees after the promotion are too high. JMO.

Did Direct come out and tell you what you needed to do to upgrade? What happened with us was ovr a year ago, but a neighbor had the same issue with them just six months ago about drilling for another wire. Just make sure they can do what you want the way you want before you switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte