Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM

235 posts, read 730,038 times

Advertisements

I was not impressed with the time warner package it seemed very expensive to me. I was wondering if anyone has either Direct TV or the Dish Network. I would like to hear all the pros and cons on either or both. Also hubby wants to know if any of them offer a channel where he can watch his dear METS... Thanks for any info.

Talia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 PM

167 posts, read 689,671 times
I live in NJ and have Directv. I want to watch my Yanks. As it is a local we get it as a local sports. But, if we move to NC. I think the only way to get them or the Mets (wife's team) we would have to get the Baseball package.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,014 times
I have DISH..love it..they have changed packages though but still also DISH has dual receivers ..meaning theywork 2 tv's so if you have 4 tvs you just have to pay for one extra vs 3 extra like with DirecTV.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM

49 posts, read 175,908 times
The worst thing about Direct TV (aside from the ugly dish in your backyard) is the fact that reception goes out in any kind of bad weather. Even in heavy clouds you will get distortions. There also tend to be a lot of hidden fees. I definitely know Time Warner can get expensive, but the quality and features make it worth it. VOD rocks, of course. The DVRs work great. They have a bunch of HD. There are some new things coming too. If you have digital phone, your caller ID will appear on your TV to let you know who's calling without getting up. There's Startover that will let you start any program on any channel over again from the beginning without having recorded it manually. There are also eBay apps coming that will flash a message up on your TV if somebody outbids you on an item. Basically lots more than just the basic TV...Dish can't touch it.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 PM

167 posts, read 689,671 times
You might want to look in to Verizon Fios. I have heard good things about it. The problem is that they are not in every location.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 PM

478 posts, read 959,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
I was not impressed with the time warner package it seemed very expensive to me. I was wondering if anyone has either Direct TV or the Dish Network. I would like to hear all the pros and cons on either or both. Also hubby wants to know if any of them offer a channel where he can watch his dear METS... Thanks for any info.

Talia
The only way he will be able to watch the Mets if you decided to go to satellite is if you get Direct TV. The Dish Network was not able to come to an agreement with MLB to carry the baseball package this year. Lucky me, I just ordered the Dish Network over the winter, before I knew this to be the case. Being able to watch a little baseball last summer... was one of the saving graces of being stuck in N. Carolina. Now I just tape NASCAR and televangelist programming, and watch both simultaneously on two 50'' TV screens in my living room. What a rush.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,772 times
I have DirectTV and love it. I experience very minor disruptions due to weather and I live in the shadow of a big mountain. There has never been a moment when I wish I did not have it. I was listening to the radio the other day and a Time Warner rep was talking about all the new stuff in the pipeline. I just laughed because its already available on DirectTV. The DVR service is awesome. Plus Time Warner owns AOL and we know how bad AOL is!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
We have had direct Tv for years we only had a few outages and it came back within a few minutes when we lived in NJ...WE are getting direct Tv here as well...

Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 AM

49 posts, read 175,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Plus Time Warner owns AOL and we know how bad AOL is!!!
Actually AOL bought a majority share into Time Warner and just about every Time Warner employee was pissed off about it. I was working at HBO (a TW company) at the time and everybody was just fuming watching their stock go down.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
We have had direct Tv for years we only had a few outages and it came back within a few minutes when we lived in NJ...WE are getting direct Tv here as well...
That's true! Only a few outages that came back quickly. We have Directv because it's the only one that carries the YES network...got to watch the Yankees in our house. BUT...you must purchase the MLB package to get all the games & even with that, some can be blacked out. It's not a problem caused by Directv either. It has to do with marketing & since we are not in the NY market area, the local MLB teams have the right (given to them by the FCC) to block any game if their team is playing. My husband is a HUGE baseball fan...he gets annoyed but he just goes to the MLB directory channel & it has 8 screens of the games currently being played & he just picks whatever one he wants! Give him a bag of peanuts & he's set!! LOL!!

BxRosie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte