Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
It was an opinion vote, not a legally binding vote. Lots of people have an opinion...only city council voted.
Then only the City Council should be 'bound' to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Everyone realized the "vote" for the arena was a Non-Binding vote right?

It was an opinion vote, not a legally binding vote. Lots of people have an opinion...only city council voted.

the point here being?

city council went against the people of this community for the own selfish
reasons........ the citizens were not interested in this arena. What we had over on Tyvola served the purposes just fine !

Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
The point being that it was non binding and council did not 'overturn' an issue decided by election.

Also, I thought rental car and hotel taxes were being used to pay for the arena, not property taxes as another poster suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
the point here being?

city council went against the people of this community for the own selfish
reasons........ the citizens were not interested in this arena. What we had over on Tyvola served the purposes just fine !

Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I love Micheal Jordan but it scares me he went into debt over this TW arena
He just put on the pressure he has got to make the Bobcats successful sale
alot of seats or maybe face Bankruptcy and if that happens well Im not going
to go there.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
The point being that it was non binding and council did not 'overturn' an issue decided by election.

Also, I thought rental car and hotel taxes were being used to pay for the arena, not property taxes as another poster suggested.

non-binding has nothing to do with it.
The people said NO! And those who hold office work for the citizens of
this city/county. Period !

Old 03-22-2010, 07:24 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
non-binding has nothing to do with it.
The people said NO! And those who hold office work for the citizens of
this city/county. Period !

Yes, actually it does. That's why it was non binding. One doesn't get to change the terms because one disagrees with the final outcome.

There are other elections that are binding. City Council is one. I hope all the folks that continue to have this issue with the arena have voted in new coucil representatives.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Yes, actually it does. That's why it was non binding. One doesn't get to change the terms because one disagrees with the final outcome.

There are other elections that are binding. City Council is one. I hope all the folks that continue to have this issue with the arena have voted in new coucil representatives.

once again you are missing the point.........

Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
....Yeah on the business topic, I highly agree: I have a great resume and I was passed on positions I knew I was qualified for, so I would ask myself, Is it cuz im latin or cuz im from another world? who knows...
Just becuase you were qualified for the job doesn't mean you were the *most* qualified applicant, right?

I've been passed over for jobs that I'm qualified for, as well, is it because I'm a white male?

I'm not saying there is no way your race played a role, I'm just saying there is no way for anyone outside of the hiring organization to know. I AM glad you found a job that you enjoy though!

Sunny - don't worry about Jordan going bankrupt, there are lots of people out there still buying his shoes/clothes, etc. Besides that, it looks like the Bobcats are on the upswing, so let's hope ticket sales reflect their improvement.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times
Exclamation Give Me A Break With This, Already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I love it when people pull out the race card when things
aren't handed to them.
Look, I'm black, and I think Mr Johnson comes off like an ungrateful lower bodily orifice, but this 'here comes the race card!' junk gets on my last nerve...

There are a LOT of things in this life that I may have been 'passed over' for, or didn't get 'handed' to me...but did I look at my pigmentation level and then cry like a beeyatch because of it? NO---I got up off my a** and did what I needed to do to get to the next level...and I still adhere to those principles today...

Too many people seem to buy into that tired old equation---you know the one goes like this:

Sharpton-Jackson (whiners/parasites)= ALL black people (whiners/parasites) +1 black person pulls 'race card' = ALL black people pull race card when denied

I have news for you...there are black folk on City-Data---in the city of Charlotte---and in America proper, who don't, haven't, and NEVER WILL pull the race card, because they know hard work and determination trumps crying like a preschooler 'cause he can't have an extra cookie...maybe some folk DO go the race card route, but I don't, and if my Dad could rise from his grave and stand next to me, he'd tell you he did NOT raise his kids to live their lives like that...as always, you're entitled to your opinion in the matter, but be prepared to deal with people like me who are examples of the opposite of your opinion

Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
I agree with some aspects of what he says. Charlotte is a tougher town than others, but that isn't anything new. And if I am running a business, I don't whine about not being able to run it in a huge city.

To BOB: You have to work on your marketing. You finally started this year with Brown and the right players. And low and behold, attendence is going up, even in a bad economy. People are talking about them. It takes a while and many cities are struggling to support an NBA team. It's actually a struggling business market right now. Stop whining and move on. Let's see what Jordan can do. But don't come back to charlotte expecting anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte