Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Cars get broken into at Southpark, Concord Mills, and Northlake as well... Kids steal and pull pranks at those malls as well... I'm not seeing anything that was said in this thread to be a specific epidemic at Carolina Place.

Boston - this one was mentioned above.. I'd like to say, there is plenty of crime and even more assaults there but crimes are committed by a different demographic and I think that is playing into this discussion. I've seen more fights in one weekend in Boston then in any other weekend in my life.
Didn't you hear? Northlake is the next Eastland Mall and way too dangerous for decent folks to frequent. ;-)

Boston. Seriously?? Someone thinks Boston is safer than Charlotte???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 AM

604 posts, read 1,307,845 times
The outdoor mall like Blakney is taking over the indoor mall. I read a while back that Blakney was 5 years ahead of schedule. Just look at all of the stores that Blakney has that Carolina Place mall does not.

There are at least a dozen stores at CP mall that sells exclusively ball caps and panthers jerseys. Most definitely a teen hangout!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 AM

530 posts, read 1,182,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
The outdoor mall like Blakney is taking over the indoor mall. I read a while back that Blakney was 5 years ahead of schedule. Just look at all of the stores that Blakney has that Carolina Place mall does not.

There are at least a dozen stores at CP mall that sells exclusively ball caps and panthers jerseys. Most definitely a teen hangout!
I'd say, at most... And there are plenty of those type stores in most malls..

But I don't think anyone here is "afraid" of a sporting apparel store..

What is it that people go to the mall for?... Clothing, shoes, department stores right? Is Carolina Place mall at a deficit when it comes to any of that? Still has the same basic department stores, the same clothing stores... A book store... Spencers... what do you want that you aren't getting?

What is it you are saying?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Didn't you hear? Northlake is the next Eastland Mall and way too dangerous for decent folks to frequent. ;-)

Boston. Seriously?? Someone thinks Boston is safer than Charlotte???
Yes. According to FBI stats, Charlotte-Mecklenburg has a MUCH higher property crime (6.2% in charlotte, 3.7% in Boston), burglary (1.57% Char-Meck, .58% Boston), theft (3.9% Charlotte, 2.7% Boston) and motor vehicle theft rate (.69% Charlotte; .49% Boston).

The only area in which Boston has a considerably higher crime rate is aggravated assaults(.65% in Boston as opposed to .49% in Charlotte), but assaults usually aren't random as property crime. So, yeah, in a very general sense, you're probably safer from random crime in Boston proper than in Char-Meck.

Table 8 (Massachusetts) - Crime in the United States 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_08_ma.html - broken link)

Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 AM

186 posts, read 604,434 times
Wow, I didn't know that, but I believe it. Charlotte needs to reign in crime and as always, put criminals away (and that's a different thread entirely)...

Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Yes. According to FBI stats, Charlotte-Mecklenburg has a MUCH higher property crime (6.2% in charlotte, 3.7% in Boston), burglary (1.57% Char-Meck, .58% Boston), theft (3.9% Charlotte, 2.7% Boston) and motor vehicle theft rate (.69% Charlotte; .49% Boston).

The only area in which Boston has a considerably higher crime rate is aggravated assaults(.65% in Boston as opposed to .49% in Charlotte), but assaults usually aren't random as property crime. So, yeah, in a very general sense, you're probably safer from random crime in Boston proper than in Char-Meck.

Table 8 (Massachusetts) - Crime in the United States 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_08_ma.html - broken link)
Across the board, Charlotte was better than boston based on violent crimes, robbery, assult, rape...

Isn't that what we were talking about? Things that make you fear... for your life? I think I'd choose to live in fear to be stolen from over fear to be attacked with a knife or gun any day...

Boston is a more violent place then Charlotte

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Across the board, Charlotte was better than boston based on violent crimes, robbery, assult, rape...

Isn't that what we were talking about? Things that make you fear... for your life? I think I'd choose to live in fear to be stolen from over fear to be attacked with a knife or gun any day...

Boston is a more violent place then Charlotte
Maybe. The stats I looked at include only Boston proper and not the suburbs but char-meck covers the entire county -- suburbs and all, so that is a factor.

I think what we're really talking about is the PERCEPTION of crime. I think violent crime in general tends to be less random than non-violent crime. So, in a place where there is more non-violent crime, there are probably more innocent victims, which in turn stokes perception of crime and fear. So, while Boston might be a more violent place, Char-Meck residents probably perceive more danger in everyday life because they know more innocent victims.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Maybe. The stats I looked at include only Boston proper and not the suburbs but char-meck covers the entire county -- suburbs and all, so that is a factor.
Could be a factor that makes the numbers look worse for Boston. You never know. Don't automaticly assume that when you add people in from those surrounding communities, you won't also be adding to the crime #'s... If you've lived in that area, you'll know the demographics are different. The surrounding areas up there are just as likely to have violent crimes as the city... maybe more likely... More people hang out in corner/neighborhood bars then trek into the city every night. So I would guess the violent crime #'s would be worse...

Quote:
I think what we're really talking about is the PERCEPTION of crime. I think violent crime in general tends to be less random than non-violent crime. So, in a place where there is more non-violent crime, there are probably more innocent victims, which in turn stokes perception of crime and fear. So, while Boston might be a more violent place, Char-Meck residents probably perceive more danger in everyday life because they know more innocent victims.
I think the perception of danger is higher in Boston.. seems like several others here agree.. I think ^this^ is a bit of a stretch...

Most people will feel safer going out in Charlotte at night then in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte