Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,798 times

Advertisements

This city is so adept at taking money without providing services!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
Um, so you are saying you are not getting any water or sewer and still paying for it?

The property tax thing is total BS because the money rarely goes where needed-- but all day long all we hear on this site is from thousands of people who are moving to Charlotte. So the infrastructure to provide water and sewer needs to come from somewhere, right?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 AM

157 posts, read 530,015 times
Default Mecklenburg County seems to dictate everything

I am a Charlottean but I'm starting to see that this area is more of a dictatorship than anything. The goverment will let the people vote just to see their opinion then they will make a decision regardless of the votes. Examples: Charlotte Arena, annexation, light rail, tax rise, water rise latest. Whats next??? I like this place but I may more to a smaller place with less growth in the future. Too much growth, too much development. I got an idea. Make the existing forest around charlotte a national protected forest.LOL That will keep development out

Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
If you move to a place, you are contributing to its growth, unless you buy move into an existing home and the others have moved out of the place.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I am a Charlottean but I'm starting to see that this area is more of a dictatorship than anything.
Look, this forum is an example of people moving here in DROVES. It is very difficult for the city to accomodate all these people. At least the city did not raise property taxes since the county already did.

So we should vote on every budget decision that is made, such as this water increase? It does not work that way. That's why we elect officials. Yet 3/4 of Meck Co citizens won't turn out on election day to vote, much less know the voting record of the officials on matters such as this.

Increases stink, period. But unless people stop descending on the county like crazy, it's going to continue.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
If you move to a place, you are contributing to its growth, unless you buy move into an existing home and the others have moved out of the place.
thats exactly what i did. I brought an exisiting home. I'm not gonna cater to the new development. I stay away from mew strip malls as well, continuing to shop at established business.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Look, this forum is an example of people moving here in DROVES. It is very difficult for the city to accomodate all these people. At least the city did not raise property taxes since the county already did.

So we should vote on every budget decision that is made, such as this water increase? It does not work that way. That's why we elect officials. Yet 3/4 of Meck Co citizens won't turn out on election day to vote, much less know the voting record of the officials on matters such as this.

Increases stink, period. But unless people stop descending on the county like crazy, it's going to continue.
I see what youre saying. You are right. Sad but true to say is that we have too many newcommers moving here period and they are making it bad for the natives. The more people, higher taxes, cost increase, another Atlanta, NY, DC; the places they came from. If I offended anybody, I'm just speaking reality. The local goverment don't care either. As long as the cash flow continues. They dont care about value and traditions anymore. See if a 40 story building will be build in Charleston, SC. They wont destory their history!!LOL

Old 06-12-2007, 08:26 AM

I know what, the newcommers from upnorth can populate some of the SC cities like Columbia from 130k to 200k. Charleston fron 125K to 180, or Greenville-Sparkle City. Distribution is needed

Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 AM

138 posts, read 413,190 times
First, let's try making the Mayor's elected position FULL-TIME instead of part time. He is an employee of Duke power, and sorry to say, but that simply-put is and can be a conflict of interest. Also, the Mayor seems to lack any power vs the city commissioner's. (where's the balance?)

Second, this city is growing. It will continue to grow. When the city's elected officials chose to make the uptown area appear like a major city, and attract more and more business (banking industry, etc.) the seeds were planted for growth - which inevitably would attract people from ALL OVER.

I have met people here from Ohio, New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Arizona, Florida, Massachusets, Pennsylvania, California and way more. They come for new or better opportunities, a better standard of living, and in large part because of the nice and friendly nature of the people who live here. I scarcely think that their intent when they move here is to detract from Charlotte's initial appeal or change its pleasant atmosphere.

Increases in population and growth of industry go hand in hand. Opportunity attracts people. A natural byproduct is eventual higher taxes to help meet rising demand for services, roads, schools, etc. This however, does not mean that Charlotte will eventually come to look or be like NYC or Detroit, etc. I imagine that crime existed here long before the influx of people from other states. I watch the news every evening, and personally do not see that the crimes reported are being comitted by transplants - most look and sound like locals. Also, crime in NYC is relatively low when measured per capita.

I am an attorney who moved here from Long Island. I made a very good living there, and did not move for financial reasons. I will make MUCH less $$$ here. I moved for a change of pace and a better Quality of life. Which, I guess is relative. For me, this city is great! Much better pace, friendly people, etc. I believe that I have been just as friendly to those I have met as they have been to me.

I do feel for those natives or folks who have lived here for a long time and who feel somewhat displaced. It is unfortunate that they are compelled to feel that way. Transplants are not the end of this city, although their presence may transform Charlotte and its surrounding areas from what they once were. This does not mean it will be worse, just different. And, I hope not so different that it causes nice, friendly, hard-working families to leave.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 AM

Ok, nice dissertation
Let's not turn this into a thread about "Transplants vs. Natives."

I am a transplant from a long time ago who stayed here for college and a career, so I understand growth. Growth is what has made this city what it is today, which is why I was trying to explain to the OP why the raise in city water and sewer was necessary.

But to be fair, in response to your last paragraph, this area WILL be worse for the growth if the infrastructure, development and planning is not appropriate to handle the influx. That's really what this increase, and this thread, is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte