Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

VMAX - nice to see I am not alone in my feeling that Charlotte has been floundering b/c the "powers that be" keep promoting a schizoid image of the region. We ain't ATL or NYC and all the "second largest banking center" promotion in the 2000s seemed silly to me. I mean . . . yeah, this happened but it occurred by total happenstance - and that designation may have been true for a few years, but I found it terribly terribly disingenous b/c you can't promote a city based on 10 years, when the foundation of the city's culture and development is rooted in 250 years of history.

You wouldn't see Boston throwing out its "patriot" status just cause some other phenomena suddenly brought money into the city.

Back in the 70s, we were promoting Charlotte as the Queen City. Well, heck yes - that is what we are! And we were a "hornet's nest" in the 18th Century. So promoting CLT as a pre-Rev city was the right thing to do. Trying to re-do CLT into the sixth borough was ridiculous - I don't care HOW MANY folks moved here from NYC or how connected the banking industry is to NYC. Banking is/was simply an "industry" here - and not for that long, either, lol.

Our roots are Scottish here in Charlotte, and north of this region, Scots and Germans - and then there is the history of native Americans throughout the country and particular history right here in our region.

That's who we are and that is what should be built upon - that historic context. And it could make for a really interesting draw for international businesses, if it is done correctly.

I fully recognize that we have had literally hundreds of thousands of new residents move here in less than a decade. Most are not even aware of the history of this region but I have found they are interested and would appreciate finding out about the way MECK (and surrounding areas) developed. In addition, there are MANY stereotypes that need to be overcome b/f newcomers can understand the region they have moved to.

I have said it before and will say it again: this region survived for hundreds of years b/f banking was big here and it will survive into the future. And our identity doesn't need to be diluted or even re-worked in order to survive and grow.

We need to look towards Boston, Williamsburg, Charleston, and Philadelphia as to how to incorporate our "patriot" roots - and then add our own UNIQUE contemporary image to the mix - and build on that.

To me, the HOF is a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
IT aint gonna happen thats the thing it is going to be a HUGE revenue maker for the city
It going to bring loads of people from all over the United States.
There going to be loads of tourist Uptown sporting there favorite driver shirts from all
over the United States. It going to have the largest daily attendance than any other museum.
It going to create more tours of local race shops that employee skillful local employees
The Speedway is going to sell more seats as people now have something to do during Speed Street
besides hanging at Concord Mills.
Local produced memorabilia sales are going to go up.
Sit back and relax.

More of our celebrities in Nascar are going to open more bars. Dale Earnhart Jr owns Whiskey River
It going to get more visitor as people attempt to Bull Ride. I think Ill take Pookie
there for his 40th birthday.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM

Default NASCAR hall attracted 10,000 during first week

The NASCAR Hall of Fame attracted 10,000 visitors during its first week of operation,
with nearly half coming for opening day May 11.
The Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority has projected
that the hall will attract about 800,000 visitors during its first year.

NASCAR hall's 1st week drew 10,000 | www.thatsracin.com

Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 AM

COUPONJACK: Your concerns are valid. Just wanted to say that.

My feeling is we need new leadership at the county and city level. I am not impressed with folks who think the best way to manage CHARMECK's budget shortfall is to slash jobs. If jobs can be slashed that easily, then perhaps they weren't needed to begin with.

We need to look at social programs FIRST - entitlements - and how these are affecting our budget. And we need to cut out duplication of services. And we need to be making decisions based on budget realities OF THE FUTURE. Now was NOT the time to invest money in recycling bins, lol. That was just ignorant. Great idea - FOR LATER.

And our school system needs to be whacked up into a totally different configuration and milliions of dollars needs to be CUT OUT with services/building projects. Sorry! It is what it is. This stuff of "no child left behind" is ludicrous. Of course children are gonna be left behind when their own parents have left them behind.

The budget here isn't wrecked because of the HOF or (as we have all discussed in the past) the light rail. The budget here is out of control b/c of money poured down a hole with CMS and with other social programs this city/county is underwriting.

Until we all GET REAL with those facts and quit boo hooing that we can't change the world by throwing money at dysfunctional families . . . and until we get leaders who don't consider the prime responsibility here to hand out the $$$ to folks who aren't willing to help themselves . . . this city is gonna flounder and more services that are needed for the majority of TAX PAYING citizens are gonna be cut so we can pander to the folks with their hands out. <I am not referring to the elderly and disabled - they need our help>

You don't see other industrialized countries begging kids to go to school and behave and learn. Why are we? Nor do you see cities/local governments (internationally) spending millions to teach immigrants to speak another language. Yet, that is what we are doing here.

There is enough revenue coming in; the problem is with how it is being distributed. Take a look at which departments literally SUCK UP the money here, in both services and personnel to administer those services.

Harry Jones needs to move on. Now, that would be a start. And Mayor Foxx needs to quit pandering to GIMME folks who are not even generating the tax dollars in this city.

And we need MORE revenue generating projects, such as the HOF. They just need to be planned out realistically and the folks in charge need to be flexible (and innovative) enough to figure out how to deal with the present economic conditions.

ETA: I am in no way saying all the blame is on the shoulders of the PRESENT city/county leaders. Folks like Parks Helms made incredibly stupid/short-sighted/self-serving decisions in years past. But we are where we are right now and building on the MISTAKES of the past ain't gonna get us where we need to be if this city is gonna move forward.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-19-2010 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: added more

Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
If this was so big, then what was the excuse for the biggest drivers in NASCAR today not even being there?

(ie Jimmy Johnson, Tony Stewart, Dale Jr., and Jeff Gordon)

That's right, they had more important things to do than pay tribute to the people that led them down the road to make tons of money....)

Again, no one should confuse the loyalty that many in this area have for Nascar vs. whether it will be a success in the future or a taxpayer's boondoggle. (like Whitewater or even time warner cable arena)

All I'm pointing out is the direction its heading which people are very uneasy about discussing....

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If this was so big, then what was the excuse for the biggest drivers in NASCAR today not even being there?

That's right, they had more important things to do than pay tribute to the people that led them down the road to make tons of money....)

Again, no one should confuse the loyalty that many in this area have for Nascar vs. whether it will be a success in the future or a taxpayer's boondoggle. (like Whitewater or even time warner cable arena)

All I'm pointing out is the direction its heading which people are very uneasy about discussing....
I am not uneasy about discussing it at all. We have it; I want it to be successful and I am sure you do, too. I know your concerns are from a fiscal standpoint and are based in wondering if this is going to be an expensive albatross here in Charlotte.

Here is the way I see it: it is not important if the majority of folks in Charlotte are gungho about the HOF. What is important is that it is a quality facility and draws in folks from across the USA as well as internationally. Local support will be there, if from folks outside MECK more than those living in MECK.

Our demographics in this city have changed tremendously over the last 8 years. What was once a rather sleepy Southern town w/ a majority of natives and Southerners from other nearby states living here is now a city made of transplants. That is a fact and that is what we are dealing with here. I think if we had a vote, more people who live here right now would rather see the Steelers here than the HOF, lol. But the fact that new folks have moved in doesn't change the HISTORY of the region.

The HOF will be supported by folks living in the region as well as by visitors, and this will bring tourist dollars into the city/county. I suspect it is going to be a big success, especially when one considers that all leisure and vacation dollars are down across the board in every city (look at Las Vegas!)

Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Being a Naysayer of something positive that going to happen to the city crazy
Us Rednecks are going to always come out in droves
The Nascar Hall of Fame is something we should be proud about and support.
It is up to the residents to unite come together and come out view and enter one
of the most beautiful buildings in Uptown.

NASCAR is the longest running sport these celebrities
have to work every weekend for 10 months
Practice during the week, spend the little time they have in their home during the week
Last weekend they entertain fans in the Northeast.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Jack, you’re all across the board with this...it’s a boondoogle of tax payer money...and it’s of such minuscule appeal that “the biggest drivers in NASCAR today not even being there?” Maybe those other drivers didn’t come because a) they had races to prepare for, and b) they’re all going to be here for a whole week starting this weekend through Memorial Day. Jack if you’re seriously trying to suggest drivers don’t support this thing then I’m sorry to say you are, just being a negative ninny. You sound like that Lobomdo poster, it’s all bad…bad, bad, bad...everything about it. Give it a break.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Wow. Seriously? Since jobs have been lost at all levels of employment, who exactly are you referring to? Or are you suggesting that Nascar fans are more likely to be jobless? Here's a hint-Nascar fans come from all walks of life.

The problem is that many people assume Nascar is a bunch of rednecks driving around in circles, when they know nothing about the sport. Well, there aren't any circular tracks in the top three series of Nascar. And if people took the time to learn a bit about racing and Nascar, there would probably be even more fans. If you have no appreciation for what it takes to be competitive at the top levels, and the talent required by the entire team to get there, well, you're missing out. If you're just not a fan of racing, that's fine. It's not for everyone.

I wonder what race week will do to the attendance.

Point 1: Sure, but the majority of them are blue collar, manufacture industry workers and can't afford it anymore. Your perspective might be skewed from living in Charlotte where "everyone" is a Nascar fan. Outside of here, it's only a certain demographic.

Point 2: Are you kidding? Have you actually been to a race? I guess I'm one that doesn't have any appreciation for the "sport", and knowing the history is interesting, but like I said, the only thing it does is confirm what I already thought.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM

There is a lot of blue collar workers out in this community who honor and worship
the celebrities of the past & present that are displayed at the Nascar Hall Of Fame.
They may be on lower income level but the diehard fans will budget the money to
check out one of the coolest interactive museums
How snobby to think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte