Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:42 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am surprised that folks are so turned off by TV nooks. Just fill it in and frame it out nicely with molding and hang a picture or mirror if it is in the living room. If it is in the family room, library or bedroom, hang your tv on the filled in wall.

The house I just bought has one but I loved the house too much to let it go because of something that is an easy fix. We are planning on filling it in and hanging the flat screen there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
The house I just bought has one but I loved the house too much to let it go because of something that is an easy fix. We are planning on filling it in and hanging the flat screen there
YES!

Now, what you ought to do is take photos every step of the process and then publish it! I would love to publish it on my blog if you don't have a blog of your own.

I think a lot of people would be inspired to see that it is a very manageable process.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
While we were house hunting my fiance was also turned off by the rooms being all different colors. I also agree that it is very distracting.
You know, it used to not matter to me. I would always think - oh well, big deal - I will just paint over it all.

But these days - it is hard work to paint and expensive to hire someone to do it . . . and I want things ready to move in even if I intend to redecorate every room in the house (and I doubtless would - decorating is one of my favorite things to do!)

It is more of a turn off to me than it used to be, cause now I see it and start adding up the dollars . . .

Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,224 times
Ani's blog is great, and she has some mouth-watering recipes there.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:20 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
YES!

Now, what you ought to do is take photos every step of the process and then publish it! I would love to publish it on my blog if you don't have a blog of your own.

I think a lot of people would be inspired to see that it is a very manageable process.

I will. We are actually getting someone to do because we are not that handy. If you still want pics then I will get some for you I will also check out your blog and the recipes mentioned there by the other poster.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:59 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyxx View Post

Unlike many on this thread, I actually prefer linoleum in the kitchen provided it looks like tile because it's easier to clean (in my opinion).
When I built this house years ago, i paid a good deal to upgrade to a premium linoleum in the kitchen. It's held up well, I don't have any issues with it, and people remark on how nice it looks. I've been thinking about tearing out this kitchen and redoing it, but for the floor while I've considered other flooring, I still keep coming back to linoleum for all the advantages it has.

I do think one of the more stupid trends to come along in the past few years is that of putting hardwoods in a kitchen. The kitchen, especially if it is actually used for cooking, is the most abused floor in the house and the relatively soft oak hardwoods put in most new construction these days simply isn't suitable for this type of environment. I would say that either go with linoleum, tile (but do your homework), polished concrete or if you have the cash, terrazzo. If one simply has to have hardwood, then I recommend that enough money is spent to get a good quality hard hardwood species, and then get it finished in place with a waterproof finish that is meant to be mopped. The absolute worst flooring for a kitchen is prefinished red oak.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I will. We are actually getting someone to do because we are not that handy. If you still want pics then I will get some for you I will also check out your blog and the recipes mentioned there by the other poster.
I think folks would love to see the steps in this process (closing in tv niche). I will DM you so as not to take this wonderful thread off topic, lol!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyxx View Post
One thing I noticed when looking at houses was that sellers had painted many rooms in the houses with an entire rainbow of colors. I walked away from many houses because I'd have to repaint every single room. It's difficult to fall in love with a house when you are distracted by the colors. I prefer buying a house that has neutral wall colors - it's a blank canvas for me.
We like to have some color in the house. We know our tastes may not be for everyone...but when we finally move, we'll just have someone come in and repaint them all back to a neutral color.

But I would not let the colors in a home be a deal-breaker, at least for me. I always grumble when I paint, but it is the easiest fix in a house.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I do think one of the more stupid trends to come along in the past few years is that of putting hardwoods in a kitchen.
Rugs in the DR and Master Bath are worse, but I guess those aren't trends.
heh

I really dislike the look of ceramic tile (or similar) in the kitchen. With concrete - Look wise is nice, but the issue I have is that type flooring is hard to be standing and working on for extended periods of time. It kills your back.

Wood looks great and provides some "bounce" when standing on it. My wife cleans it with a vinegar / water mix... which seems to work very well.

In all honesty I really like a nice grade wood flooring on the entire 1st floor.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
In all honesty I really like a nice grade wood flooring on the entire 1st floor.
Oh don't get me wrong. I highly recommend spending extra to get hardwoods put throughout the house. I simply detest wall to wall carpeting as no matter how much you spend on it, it's going to look tatty in a few years. It's also a breeding ground for filthy things and the first time you get it cleaned, the pad starts growing mold from then on.

The only places you don't want hardwood is in the kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry or anywhere else that needs a lot of cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: