Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
The JFG Coffee sign may be coming back:
JFG sign may perk up the skyline again - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/25/1785323/jfg-sign-may-perk-up-the-skyline.html - broken link)

That's great! Thanks for posting the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,023,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Knoxville has a JFG sign, too and I wish we could figure out how to ours and all the other delightful reminders of the history of this region.

I love the old Krispy Kreme signs, too.

I would be THRILLED to find a "Joe's Tavern" type sign and would definitely want to save it.

LOVES: You mentioned that folks come here and their attitudes seem "soul-less." That is also reflected in how this city has quickly lost its "soul." Everyone agrees - Charlotte hardly has an identity any longer. Nice place to live - wouldn't want to visit there . . . some say. But lately, it seems to me that the things that make it a "nice place to live" are also vanishing.

Our city is quick to throw away its past - mainly b/c too many folks have moved here who would just as soon raze the whole of MECK and recreate it into some northeast city. PRETTY SAD. I have lived other places and I worked hard at fitting in, not trying to re-do, while all the time disparaging what was there when I arrived.

It is disrespectful to do otherwise.

I know that folks have all sorts of misconceptions about the South and about Southerners. But one of the reasons the South has always been known as a charming place is that Southerners revere the past and what our forefathers sacrificed so we would have the quality of life we enjoy now.

Charlotte's history goes back to pre-Revolutionary War days, yet few people even acknowledge that any longer. Everytime anyone refers to our city as the Queen City, that is acknowledgement of our past - but most people have never even taken the time to find out who Queen Charlotte was, or who founded this region of the state.

Pretty sad.

I want to preserve as much as we can at this point in time. Heck, so much has been lost already. Those of us willing to put some time and effort and $$ into preservation often scratch our heads in disbelief at the callous and dismissive attitude we get from newcomers.

Here's the down and dirty, folks: The natives here DO NOT CARE what twisted ideas you are attaching to such things as historic preservation of a sign that says "JESUS SAVES." That sign was there looooong b/f you came and it is part of the quirkiness of the region. When we see it, we may smile b/c someone wanted to send out a message so badly, they created that sign, and it lit up the night for decades, whether any of the folks SEEING IT were inclined to agree with the message or not.

That is the thing about the South. We CELEBRATE eccentricities here, whether it is eccentric people or eccentric architecture (or eccentric lifestyle). We don't care if you are a "character" (i.e. Richard Petty). Just as long as you are having a good time and enjoying your life, we are right there with ya. We CELEBRATE your success (i.e. Billy Graham) even if we are not into your message. Hometown boy makes good! We don't merely tolerate, we pat you on the back, even if we are not part of your cause. As long as what you profess or embrace is sincere, we are there with you. We may not participate (NASCAR) and we may not spend our dollars on it (Civil War Re-enactments) but we GET IT. You are doing YOUR THING and you are sincere so we are gonna smile even if we have no interest in your pursuit at all. Live and let live.

It seems too many folks who have moved here are combative - that is the CULTURE of the areas where they grew up. Just look at sports in the Northeast! Look at the rivalries with sports teams that lead to actual RIOTS. Good grief. I think some of the most intolerant areas of this country are found in the Northeast.

I am a Christian, but if there were a big lighted Menorah sign to save, I would be there for the cause. I don't have to espouse the sentiment behind the sign. That is what some of you are missing! It is the history of the region - good (agrarian life), bad (poverty) and ugly (slavery). It is what it is. We celebrate it here.
I know this is an older thread, and I'm glad in the end they were able to save the sign.

After reading this thread, (And living in Charlotte for a couple years.) I have to say the attitudes displayed here IMHO are not regional in basis so much as the state of our nation.

My home city of Waterbury CT, (Which I no longer live) was once a proud, hard working conservative and religous manufacturing city. We had/have similar issues. Most of the people who built the city have moved on, and the backflow has come in from NYC and for the most part they had no intention of following in the footsteps of those they replaced.

Instead as was said here, they moved there to get what they could for themselves and not much more. It's sad.

We used to have a 56 foot tall illuminated cross on a hilltop overlooking the city for 40 years. It was an ICON that millions passing by on the interstate and those who lived in the city saw as a reminder of who the people of the city were at one time and what made them who they were. It was actually part of a local project called "Holy Land USA" and it's gone into ruin. Even if people didn't agree with "Christianity" (I know there was a Jewish population in the city) they at least still respected things that were "good", "right" and did not look to demonize, trash or dismantle such things.

Our country has walked away from it's foundation. So when you hear or see people lashing out at a Jesus sign, it's only that which is going to come in a larger degree and IMO what will ultimately cause the collapse of this nation. (As we are already seeing)

Watch this video about the cross and Holy Land to see what happened to a once proud city with principles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZWCyq4HcY

I hope Charlotte "gets it" before it turns into another "boom city" with problems like Atlanta, Dallas etc.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,019,316 times
The Observer reports today that the JFG sign has found a new home at the N.C. Music Factory:

JFG sign finds new home in Charlotte - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/22/2082855/jfg-sign-finds-new-home-in-charlotte.html - broken link)#

Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,755,852 times
Quote:
The Observer reports today that the JFG sign has found a new home at the N.C. Music Factory:

JFG sign finds new home in Charlotte - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/22/2082855/jfg-sign-finds-new-home-in-charlotte.html - broken link)#
I would think that sign is too big to be in that location. I got to think it’s going to be awfully bright. Those buildings in the NC Music Factory aren’t that tall. They’re basically taking a billboard and putting it at street level. Maybe the sign is smaller than I'm thinking. We’ll see.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for bumping my old thread back up with some new info

Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM

49 posts, read 102,489 times
Just received an email literally 8 minutes ago talking about the JFG sign. My company is doing something there and they are keeping real quiet about it. All I can say is "..during the month of March there will be a transformation of ... the JFG coffee billboard. Tell your people to watch what happens between now and the first week of April"

Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong2gs View Post
Just received an email literally 8 minutes ago talking about the JFG sign. My company is doing something there and they are keeping real quiet about it. All I can say is "..during the month of March there will be a transformation of ... the JFG coffee billboard. Tell your people to watch what happens between now and the first week of April"

COOL! Thanks

Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong2gs View Post
JFG Sign Returns (in) Style to Charlotte this Saturday « Mark Does Charlotte

Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,025,359 times

Anyone know what happened to the Ratcliff's sign on the Green? It's been taken down and a new restaurant is opening there but I haven't heard what happened to the sign.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:49 PM

763 posts, read 822,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Seversville is an old historic neighborhood north of Tuckaseegee Rd just past Wesley Heights.
I went to Seversville Elementary School that was on the corner of State Street near five points. The "Jesus Saves" sign was on top of my childhood church, Garr's Memorial Church. The church had a history. It was founded by Doctor Garr in the 1920s and was called Garr's Tabernacle. He was buried inside the building that was recently torn down. Dr. Garr's son, Alfred was from Hollywood, Ca. and was a professional singer out there and was aired daily on the radio. He was quite well known.

The Garrs were missionaries and the first whites to visit many parts of darkest Africa. I used to enjoy as a kid the movies that he would tape which showed the "platelip" tribes, pigmies, etc. It was a facinating place to visit when my mom could bribe me into going to church with her.

I used to joke about the "Jesus Saves" sign and comment that they should add on the bottom "at Wachovia".

Seversville bordored Wesley Heights and was once upon a time a walkable area where one could walk to downtown, five points, and shopping on West Trade Street in safety. Like other good things, that ended.

Lovesmountains, I know that you know much of this info.and I am using your posting to ride your shirt tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte