Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

The "Jesus Saves" signs fate is being decided right now. Hoping to see that it is able to be saved just like the other historic signs around Charlotte lately. Charlotte has lost too much of its history to "progress" already!

A grassroots group, Save our Signs, is doing a great job at helping Charlotte to preserve these historical signs.

Historic Charlotte: News and Events

Last Ditch Effort to Save “Jesus Saves” Sign | FOX Charlotte | Local News

http://savejesussaves.wordpress.com/...-80-1930-2010/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
That sign atop the old church off of W.Trade past Bojangle's? They should set aside a district of town dedicated to history , and avoid demolishing anything older than 1990 in other parts of the city.Needless to say , they will continue upon the neverending quest to destroy Charlotte and replace it with a facsimile of every other 'chic , sexy , hip , urban' place on Earth. That , IMO , is a true lack of civic pride.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,109 times
Gretzky shoots..........Jesus Saves!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,059 times
I saw footage of that place on TV and it looked like an eyesore to me. If the sign were "Joe's Tavern" instead of "Jesus Saves", would anybody be concerned about bulldozing the place?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I saw footage of that place on TV and it looked like an eyesore to me. If the sign were "Joe's Tavern" instead of "Jesus Saves", would anybody be concerned about bulldozing the place?
Spoiler
They'd be screaming to get it demolished, if that were the case.

Well, you know how it is with all these religious people. And it's certainly not exclusive to Christians.

All of these people of all of these religions. They're always the first one's screaming about how their Freedom of Religion is being violated or oppressed.

But it's funny how they never percieve it a problem when they're pubically advertising, pubically imposing and pubically infusing their religion upon everyone else and into every aspect of everyone else's lives.

Apparently people's rights and freedoms end when it comes to them bullying and insisting their " God " of choice be thrust into our landscape and daily lives.

I'm not so sure Jesus himself would approve of their marketing campaigns and their methods, in general.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
Where is Marvin Beach and/or Seversville?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
You COMPLETELY miss the point

It is the SIGN people are trying to save, not the eyesore dilapidated building. The SIGN is iconic, not the building.

And yes, if the sign said, "Joe's Tavern" and had been a beacon standing in one neighborhood for 80 years, it would be just as valuable. Did you even look at the link I provided for the kinds of signs the group Historic Charlotte has saved???

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 AM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
They'd be screaming to get it demolished, if that were the case.

Well, you know how it is with all these religious people. And it's certainly not exclusive to Christians.

All of these people of all of these religions. They're always the first one's screaming about how their Freedom of Religion is being violated or oppressed.

But it's funny how they never percieve it a problem when they're pubically advertising, pubically imposing and pubically infusing their religion upon everyone else and into every aspect of everyone else's lives.

Apparently people's rights and freedoms end when it comes to them bullying and insisting their " God " of choice be thrust into our landscape and daily lives.

I'm not so sure Jesus himself would approve of their marketing campaigns and their methods, in general.

How rude. And shame on you. This is a thread about HISTORIC PRESERVATION and you take it as an opportunity to malign southerners and Christians - great. Feel big in your britches now?

You guys really disappoint me

Please, at least read the links I provided before you spout off at the mouth

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Where is Marvin Beach and/or Seversville?
Seversville is an old historic neighborhood north of Tuckaseegee Rd just past Wesley Heights.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 AM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
How rude. And shame on you. This is a thread about HISTORIC PRESERVATION and you take it as an opportunity to malign southerners and Christians - great....

Oh give me a break

And here I thought I was "maligning" pushy, intrusive, bullying religious people of all walks of life, not just Christians.

And here I thought I was responding to DaddySpice's comments

Yes, poor christians and southerners....they're so maligned and so non-judgemental

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte