Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 41,549 times

Advertisements

Well all, I went to visit Chattanooga and I can tell you, it EXCEEDED my expectations! You have a beautiful city and the people are truly friendly and open! You should all be very proud of where you live, and now I want to live there too! I loved the community of Lookout Mtn and the school is utterly charming. Thanks for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,880,360 times
Smile Great News

R: This is nice news to read . Weather is really cold this week to really do anything outside. As mentioned in another post below, one can mouse CLICK on the upper left WHITE City-DATA logo above , & it opens up city statical info / charts for any city . With a collection of pictures accepted ...
https://www.city-data.com/city/Chatta...Tennessee.html .
.Also can read the daily newspaper online , Home Page | Chattanooga Times Free Press

. There are also many other OUtdoor Chattanooga websites, relocation sites, places to play , etc. City of Chattanooga
. Early March when the flower trees start to bloom is very colorful in this region.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 AM

222 posts, read 753,915 times
If you have the $$$ to live on Lookout, you will have one of the best places I can imagine to live. It's awesome...

However, for that same reason, I must hate you! For me, it's only in my dreams...

Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,252,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
If you have the $$$ to live on Lookout, you will have one of the best places I can imagine to live. It's awesome...

However, for that same reason, I must hate you! For me, it's only in my dreams...
The view up there is amazing on a normal day.

But just to throw out one of the downsides... right now we're under a mostly overcast sky (a few patches of blue) in the valley and I can see an occasional snow flurry float past my office window. I cannot currently see the top of Signal Mt because it's hidden by clouds, and I'd bet that if I walked to the other side of the building I wouldn't be able to see the top of LO Mt either. Reports from my co-workers imply that there's currently snow on the ground up top.

Right now those folks with the uber-expensive brow lots can't see anything but pea-soup-thick fog, and even the people in interior lots (the "mountain" is really what's left of a "plateau") have to deal with the fog and snowy/icy/twisty roads.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM

91 posts, read 282,577 times
If you for sure just want to be on a mountain and don't want private schools I would go to Signal Mtn. But they are both pretty.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 17,913 times
Lookout Mountain is the ideal place to live in Chattanooga. This is a great time to buy a house up there, too. Lots for sale, last time I drove around the mountain. However, the issue with middle & high school is something one has to consider. Personally, if I had children...I'd just figure out a way to live there...it truly is idyllic.

Follow your dreams, "ulver", and go take a look up there.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,908,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouge111 View Post
Thank you Blue! When you say "lots of traffic" do you mean so much that it would be unsafe for children riding bikes?

Our older son goes to private school now, and we really want him to experience public school - meaning that his schoolchums are also neighbors and he can ride his bike to a friends house after school or whenever. Thats not possible where we live - his school friends are spread out all over LA, and everything has to be scheduled. I want him to have a more "normal" childhood.

I love the houses on Missionary Ridge, and the views are incredible, but just don't want to keep doing private school. That makes me lean towards Lookout Mountain, houses are more expensive but it seems to be a bit more kid friendly, ie; sidewalks and neighborhoods.

Would you mind defining "country club" type? I am curious what that means to you, as we aren't what I would consider "country club" (snobby) but we do socialize and do benefits, etc... I don't even play tennis...

Again I so appreciate your response - my husband and I are very excited about the possibility of moving, and I am coming for a visit in 2 weeks to check it all out.
consider Brentwood outside of nashville?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,716,743 times
Most of Lookout Mtn is in GA with stunning homes. You can even see the lights of Atlanta on a clear night. The more affluent suburbs are in GA. Flintstone, Rossville Ringgold. Rock City is in GA along with the beautiful Covenant college.

Lookout Mountain, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home - Lookout Mountain Fairyland Club

Old 04-23-2011, 04:59 PM

48 posts, read 111,718 times
We have lived in the Chattanooga area for 3.5 years. Check out greatschools.org to see the school rankings for Hamilton County. There are only a few schools that I would recommend. Signal Mountain (all their schools), Soddy Daisy schools, and then: Westview Elementary, Apison Elementary, and East Hamilton Middle/High School.

I would avoid Ooltewah High School, due to gangs, and the school is very old. Believe me, we almost moved into the Ooltewah High School zone and so glad we did not. My kids went to Ooltewah Middle school before they built East Hamilton. While Ooltewah Middle was a good school (but the building is old as well), we heard a lot of gossip about Ooltewah gangs.

I would check the registered sex offender database on familywatchdog.us, because there was a registered sex offender living within 2 miles of Thrasher Elementary last time I checked.

We live in Apison and feel very safe here. And love, love, love East Hamilton Middle/High School.

As for Lookout Mountain. Most people that live on Lookout send their kids to private school, is what I have heard.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM

8 posts, read 17,913 times
Actually, most Lookout Mountain residents send their kids to the excellent public elementary schools they are zoned for - either Fairyland School (GA side) or Lookout Mountain School (TN side.) It is true, however, that most LM residents opt for private middle and high school for their children. Some examples of the private schools are Chattanooga Christian School, Girls Preparatory School, McCallie, Baylor School, St. Jude, Notre Dame. (For those of you who wish to google middle & high school options for this town...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga