Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 AM

20 posts, read 40,686 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

This summer I'm moving to the Chattanooga area from the Albany, NY area. My job will have me working between 2 locations, in Brainerd and Hixson.

I plan on visiting in June to look for an apartment as I will moving in July or August. I've tried researching online to find the best neighborhod for me, but numbers don't give you a feel for the people and the culture, so I thought I'd ask those who know best

A little about me, I'm a divorced female, mid thirties and I have a teenage son. I currently attend a non-denominational Christian church here in NY, but I'm not "super" religious, I believe in doing the right thing and treating others like I wish to be treated, but I'm moderately liberal and accepting of all people regardless of their background. I like independent films and live music, like walking and hiking, and eat healthy unprocessed food. My son is 16, he's a good kid, no trouble in school or with law. I come from an area of about 90,000 people, the Capital District area of NY is largely suburbia with Albany itself being the "city", the surrounding areas range from bedroom commuities to farms and everything in between. Not to be confused with the big city NYC transplants.

I'm trying to figure out what neighborhoods are closest to Brainerd/Hixson, that are friendly enough to welcome an outsider, but aren't ultra conservative, and are relatively accessible commute wise so that I'm not sitting in traffic for an hour every day. Maybe a suburb of Chattanooga, but with somewheat easy access to downtown for the weekends but also acessible to Brainerd and Hixson for work? Also, I'll be renting. I've read about the various neighborhoods, but just don't know geographically where they fall (a map can only tell you so much), I'm thinking more in terms of infrastructure and convenience of getting around.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 AM

59 posts, read 200,470 times
Default Where to live?

I moved to Chattanooga and hail from upstate NY also. I currently am back in upstate NY taking care of parents but own a house at the border of Hixson and Chattanooga and plan on moving back when I can. I would say to look in the North Chatt area for an apt or house to rent. There is a great health food grocery store in N. Chatt and it is about a 5 minute drive to downtown. N. Chatt is more liberal, artsy, eclectic with a great little downtown area with art galleries, restaurants, shops, etc. You won't be sitting in traffic anywhere for an hour..Chattanooga just isn't that big.

I would say to stay west of Market/Hamilton St in N. Chatt. over to Barton Ave and a little north in between. There are houses for rent in that area with some duplexes.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM

Thank you! I'll definitely check out those areas. I was worried about getting there and wandering aimlessly around not knowing where to start!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:15 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,881,732 times
Default Prior TROY

R.T.T. : WELCOME , Original TROY ny here.. I think you will be fine once you visit Hamilton county.
There are good "PIKE " road that run North & South to get around.. Lots of stores in Hixson. Less than 15 minutes to be downtown City of Chattanooga. ENJOY. . LOTS of churches here. sure you will find good Family values.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM

249 posts, read 661,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalteetee View Post
Thank you! I'll definitely check out those areas. I was worried about getting there and wandering aimlessly around not knowing where to start!
Interestingly enough, Brainerd and Hixson *ARE* suburbs of Chattanooga. North Chattanooga is the "hip" area of town, but is also rather expensive. It's about a 10 minute drive to hixson, 15-20 to Brainerd. If you're looking for more of a typical suburban area, then I would look at the Hixson area. Then you'd be very close to work, since you'd be 10 minutes from Brainerd.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies! Hey SPLIT, I live in Green Island, small world huh? I'm glad to hear you like it there, I've never lived away from this area so I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous. But Chattanooga sounds lovely :-)

Old 03-07-2013, 02:35 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,881,732 times
Default City new visit WEB

..R.T.T, : You will see a piece of nature paradise here . Bring a bike or borrow one of mine. Here
is the newest city visitor / relocate website. Lots of color here.
Chattanooga, Tennessee Visitors Bureau - Official Chattanooga TN Site . Trees will start to bloom this weekend, mid 60's temps.
. Free electric bus service up & down the citystreet.. Friday night free music "Night Fall" series
on Miller Plaza.. Minor league baseball stadium, down along the waterfront.
. You are TOO Young to remember the baseball stadium in south Menands. below the old multi level Montgomery WARDS.! had lots of releatives all over north TROY, Lansingburgh . Father worked at Watervielt Arsenal.
. Oh Yes , did someone else mention the NINE day RIVERBEND music festival in mid June. ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga