Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,052 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
So.
We are moving to Chattanooga ("The Nooga"?) July 1. Yay!!!
Here's the deal...
We are in love with the charm, older homes, community feel, commute downtown, elementary school, Mother's Day Out programs, current real estate market, etc of Lookout Mountain. It seems idyllic, Norman-Rockwell-esque, beautiful, charming, safe, secure, settled and perfect for us. We are homebodies who just turned 30 with three little (currently preschool-aged)boys.
~However.
There is, like four times more for sale on Signal. And thought you don't hear about the "community" of Signal it seems to be there as well. Thrasher seems great, like Lookout Mtn Elem. And you can get more for your $ there, too it seems.
We are interested in Calvary Chapel Chattanooga and North Shore Fellowship and they both have small groups in these areas. We are not suburbanites. No cookie-cutter homes, please.
So. Questions:

~1: Which do you prefer, Lookout or Signal? Why?
~2: What's the commute downtown from Signal vs. Lookout?
~3: What's the drive like down each mountain? (ie: Will I always feel I
am going to plunge to my death while driving?)
~4: Can you get more home for your $$$ on Signal?
~5: Which is better (safer) for raising a few little boys?

Thanks, guys. We can't wait to get there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times
As a parent who can't afford private school yet want's the best for my child Signal Mtn would be my choice. Before the schools on the mtn only went through middle school so after that, the children went every which way. Alot of those children attend private schools but I believe this new one will offer a wonderful alternative as well as keep students together, for better or worse, all through school. Lookout Mtn has just an elementary school, after that they come off the mtn to Lookout Valley or private school.

That drive! Whew I much prefer Signal but I suppose if you drive it every day you can become used to any mtn drive. Lkt Mtn almost gave me a panic attack a couple of weeks ago lol

As far as safety, they are both an area where a parent would feel secure.

The charm and feel of Lkt Mtn is appealing to me but because of the schools I vote Signal.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,681,562 times
I'm not really qualified to answer most of the questions, but this what I know:

Calvary Chapel new location will be on S. Broad Street which is close to the base of Lookout Mountain in St. Elmo.

Here's what I've heard from some long time locals: Lookout is where the old money lives...Signal is where the new money lives.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 PM

82 posts, read 244,628 times
New shoes,
Great question! I was looking forward to the opinions. Once again, I was not dissapointed by the quality of the responses! We too are leaning toward the lure of mountain living. Signal seems to be our first choice. I bet Wish bone would have an educated and informative opinion!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,734 times
I believe Riverview could also chime in as he lives on Signal and lived in the area awhile. He also has his finger on the pulse.

Sorry about your Packers...you were supposed to carry the NFC Central flag into the Superbowl, you know! Establish us as the conference. Next year, the Bears take back the crown.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:44 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,911 times
Smile Mtn Sunrise View

WELCOME CAT: If you were here this morning, could see into North Carolina from all locations along Walden Ridge. Look for what ever value house will appeal to family. Just get nice neighbors, or shady lot for summer sun, etc.
Bluff views are desirable, but can get expensive as deep waterFront property. Again Welcome from Soddy, (could be Soggy by Sat am) but rain needed to bloom out the flowering trees for mid-March.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 25,230 times
Awwww, you guys are just great!
Thanks, all.
(Thecatthatateyournewshoes and I are the two of us.)

We are headed up there next weekend and will be doing a little more househunting and just could not be more thrilled. I know that alot of people have things to say about the job market, old money, etc (I read that whole hilarious thread about why you should NOT moving to Chattanooga and slab vs crawl spaces, etc...ha! That was too good for a laugh. I loved people picking a city based on available grocery stores and building materials. That's rich!) I know that you get the life you make. I'm ready to make a sweet one in Chattanooga.

(Hence the name "Thecatthatateyournewshoes" as in "Pardon me Roy, is that the cat that ate your new shoes?" Sounds alot like another familiar tune, eh?

Old 02-02-2008, 08:28 PM

82 posts, read 244,628 times
Grizz,
Thanks for the Packer encouragement! That is no small feat coming from a Bears fan! Yes, next year you may take the NFC North by storm...but you may have a fight on your hand, and I don't mean from the hapless Lions!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 20,174 times
I too am looking to move to Chattanooga in a few months from Knoxville. Signal Mountain seems to have more to choose from than Lookout (at least in the $$ I was searching). Does anyone know of a Mother's Day Out program on Signal, that is a deal breaker for me since my 3 year old is currently in one here in Knoxville and I will not give that up.
Paula

Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 9,584 times
We moved to Chattanooga 5 years ago... to North Chattanooga and two years ago, happily moved to Missionary Ridge. It has the best views of what people come here for, is incredibly close to everything, has a diverse group of people and the prices are right. Because Chattanooga is a city that is being re-created, some people don't realize how safe Missionary Ridge is. I for one, love the community that is growing here... the schools on the ridge are new, though they do pale in comparison to others (due to that lovely diverse group). My son, a fourth grader, is homeschooled after going to the top magnate school in the country, so I think his education is far ahead of all public schools here. Anyway, welcome to Chattanooga, the city I am proud to call home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga