Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times

Advertisements

My family and I currently live in the Phoenix Arizona area and are planning on relocating this Summer. The Arizona heat gets to me and makes me feel on the verge of a heat stroke some days. We want to live where it is cooler, but not with harsh winters that we are not used to. We have lived in the Albany Oregon area before and have thought about going back there. I miss the greenery and cool weather there. My husband is a garbage man and transfers with his job, so luckily we can move lots of places around the U.S. In Oregon we had to deal with the rain, but I loved it. My husband didn't like working in it everyday. I was always soaked. Yes, even with appropriate rain gear. We have considered other places back east like Chattanooga Tennessee, but are worried it would be too hot and humid in the Summer. We want somewhere green, with beautiful trees, but not so pricey that we would be house poor. We would like to stay under 250,000 for a home with at least 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Are there any suggestions or ideas on towns that might make a great home for us? My husband and son love to fish, hunt and go camping. My daughter and I love going to flea markets, thrift stores and craft stores as well as book stores (new and used). I really want cooler, greener, but not too expensive. I actually love the rain and my husband does too as long as it's not everyday for 8 months out of the year. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 04:11 PM

89 posts, read 112,635 times
Chattanooga does get pretty hot and humid in the summer, and the summers are long. It will be cooler than Phoenix, but it's all relative, so the question will be if it's cool enough for you. It was too hot for us, and too conservative, so we moved away after 16 years there. We wanted our kids to have better choices for in-state colleges, too.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Sorry I missed this post earlier. Yes, it is much cooler in Chattanooga with regards to actual temperature, but it is also more humid. A temp of 95°F with 90% RH and no wind will feel just as hot as 110°F with 10% RH and a slight breeze.

But that condition is only during the heat waves. It is better here than Arizona. And much, much, greener.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:30 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,216 times
Why not consider Johnson City? Another concern you may want to consider is allergies. Yes the heat is tough in Arizona but the HUGE mountains and non humidity are nice too. I remember being there and the temp was in the 80's. I couldn't believe it. That was my first experience out west.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 8,932 times
I too am in the Phoenix area and I will be moving to the Chattanooga area (in the next few months,) for work. Having lived in the south not long ago and in Phoenix now, I can tell you that ANYWHERE will have more humidity than what you are used to in Phx. Part of the reason things are green in Tn is all that lovely year-round moisture. (Be it snow, rain, or humidity.) What you have to figure out is do you prefer dry or wet heat. Personally I'd rather have the humidity. The Phoenix sun feels like its pounding you into the ground and with how easily I get heat exhaustion, it just doesn't work well for me. Yes it feels hotter at a low temp due to humidity in TN, but the sun doesn't feel like it's beating you into the earth in quite the same way.
In North Ga (where I lived in the past,) I never had heat stroke or Heat exhaustion. In PHX Ive had it 2x this year. I find that I feel cooped up & housebound all summer in Phx just trying to escape the heat, and though humid in the south, I still feel like I can go enjoy the outdoors. I know that I get a lot more year round exercise out of PHX. I think that you will find it the same way.
Fair warning though... The first few weeks of living in that humidity coming from PHX will be a bear. But you can get used to it pretty quickly.

Hope it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga