Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,273 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to this area, I have read so many different things, we are tired of SW Florida, and want to make a change we are in are mid 40's and very active, we are Harley riders, need to work not retired, we are not looking to make millions, just a nice life and new people.Any input would be nice! Also what are the better places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 PM

10 posts, read 34,560 times
My husband and I are also from SW FLorida. We made our choice of future home, in Dunlap. Very quaint, small town. People and views are absolutely wonderful.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
What kind of work do you and your spouse do?

There are lots of parks around for hiking, swimming, boating, etc. There is still some land available for reasonable prices. I have heard of a few bike clubs but don't know any specifics.

What would define a "good place to live" to you? It can be different for different folks. Might help us point you in the right direction.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM

Hi, we like the city but not all the time, looking to rent first we have two small dogs, maybe a small house with a yard and fireplace. I have been in sales for 16 yrs ( building supply) would like to make a change, my wife has her own commercial cleaning business, we both have been in the restaurant/bar business also.We just need a change are kids are older and its time for us. I'm new to this site, so if can help me learn more on how it works i would appreciate it

Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brat34287 View Post
My husband and I are also from SW FLorida. We made our choice of future home, in Dunlap. Very quaint, small town. People and views are absolutely wonderful.
Are there jobs ? ( the OP said they needed work)

You can't eat the absolutely wonderfull views.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 PM

your right cant it the views, what is the job market like up there?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:01 PM

10 posts, read 34,560 times
Many people in the area travel to Chattanooga. If you like the "city", then Dunlap is not for you. My husband and I both need to work also, but we are willing to travel the 45 minutes.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Cool Site info

HELLO GREG & WELCOME: We travel back to Ft Myers to visit good friends. Prior East Coast Melbourne, Space center area.
. DIRECT MESSAGE mail : If one clicks on a blue Screen nickname, you can send a Private Direct mail to that person . Enter your mailbox at upper right corner of this screen . Some people aslo put link to these regular E-mail .
Advertising not really allowed here as getting FREE publicity , like real estate agents, etc.
.. Can add pictures here if creative . Summer Friday night is BIKE night in city with Music Sunset series . Sure one more will Fit In .
.... ....
SEARCH: One can use the Search mode on top of this screen tool bar . Enter KEY words for prior posts.. Like BIKE NIGHT.
.. New BMW cycle dealership just in newspaper to open soon . Employment here. Other posts below will also have the City job Career Center LINK . Question comes up very very often . The city newspaper can be read on line & Job postings. Chattanooga Times Free Press | Home Page also C.L. for Chattanooga & jobs.
. NOrth direction from city center may be a starting point for your Better Places.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:10 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
You're correct in that you can't eat a "view" and Harley's are no fun if you can't afford gas. So you'll need a job where ever you live. Luckily, in general, jobs are more plentiful along the I-75 corridor between Chattanooga and Knoxville than they are in the Sequatchie valley (Dunlap). The new Volkswagen plant is hiring, and lots of other firms are expanding.

Location... you like the city, but not all the time. If your work requires living fairly close to a small city (Chatt), then I recommend looking around Ooltewah area... except the housing market in the area won't be as "buyer friendly" once the Volkswagen relocatees start to move in. You can be in the country without straying too far from town. Cleveland is a largish town farther out. It has its own industrial base so you'd live and work there; it's really too far out for commuting to Chattanooga.

Ultimately, however, if your job needs are flexible, you should live in a location that makes you happy. You mentioned you were "active". There are hundreds of miles of hiking/bicycling/horseback riding trails in the nearby Cherokee Nat. Forest and Great Smoky Mts Nat Park. Don't be worried about large elevation changes while hiking... one of the toughest hikes I've ever been on was in Florida over loose sand dunes while carrying a 3-year-old plus a light pack. An 800-ft climb up a mountain is a picnic after that.

Whitewater rivers range from the family-friendly Hiwassee (Class I-II, I took my 4-year-old son this summer), to the Ocoee (Class III-IV, '96 Olympics were here), to the Cheoah (Class III-V, you go over a a 12ft waterfall) and lots of others. Most commercial rafting rivers are dam-controlled, so you don't have to worry about rainfall. There's also flat-water boating on Chickamauga Lake (TN River) and lots of other smaller lakes. If fishing is your thing, then explore some of the stocked trout rivers with crystal-clear water.

Since you're Harley riders, I recommend living on the eastern side of Chattanooga for better access to the mountains and the excellent riding roads (Google search for "Deals Gap", "Cherhala Skyway", and "Tail of the Dragon"). The local riding rag is "Road Rash" magazine, and frequently details trips up in the nearby mountains. My parents used to travel up from Mississippi on their Ultra Glide once a year for vacation there, and are planing a trip for next year. Unfortunately, I had to sell my Honda when my first son arrived, but as soon as the booster seats are no longer needed...

If you have time, I recommend taking a week or more to come up and tour the area. Actually, if you can leave RIGHT NOW, the fall leaves are at peak color along the riding roads I mentioned earlier. Bring a coat, because it's a bit chilly up in the mountains. A few days up there and you may never make it back to Florida.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 10-27-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
Agreed - now is a good time to see the beauty of SE TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga