Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 04:03 AM

8 posts, read 35,685 times

Advertisements

Can someone advice me a good private school near Chattanooga (preferable the south) that is not linked with a religion? Or in the north of Georgia?

Thx, Veerle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:05 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,099 times
Baylor, McCallie (boys), and GPS (Girls) are 3 of the most highly regarded schools in the southeast U.S. or even U.S., but nearly as pricey as the Ivy League. Montessori and Bright are pretty much the only secular feeder schools to those 3.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
But none of those are south of Chattanooga. McCallie (boys only) is east of downtown, nestled under Missionary Ridge near the McCallie tunnels (Lee Highway/Brainerd Rd.). Girls Preparatory School (GPS) (girls only) is just across the river from downtown, east of the North Shore area. GPS and McCallie are considered sister/brother schools, and lots of activities are linked (dances, co-ed athletics, etc.). Also, while they aren't considered parochial schools, they were both founded on "Christian principles".

Baylor (boys and girls) is even farther north, and is at the toe of Signal Mountain. There's a pretty big rivalry between Baylor and McCallie, especially each year when they play each other in football.

But I agree that these are three of the best college prep schools in the southeastern US, both academically and physically (excellent sports programs). Tuition at all three is in the $20,000 range for day students. I know McCallie and Baylor have boarding students; I think GPS is day-school only.

Unfortunately, I can't directly answer the OP's question because I'm not familiar with any non-parochial schools in north Georgia. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 AM

Default elementary school

These look like very good schools but I am really looking for an elementary school, sorry for the confusion.

Thx, Veerle

Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvbelleg View Post
These look like very good schools but I am really looking for an elementary school, sorry for the confusion.
Hmmm... most of the better elementary schools around are parochial... It's hard to find a non-religious private elementary school because the money just isn't there. People are willing to drop much $$$ investing in a good high-school college prep education for the people responsible for picking out their future nursing home. But paying $12,000 a year for their kid to learn that 2+2=4 and how to cut a triangle out of construction paper?

As VolDude mentioned, there's the Bright school (north of downtown) and Montessori (east of downtown). Bright is one of the most exclusive private schools in the region, and they charge accordingly (about $12k/year for K-5). Montessori uses a non-traditional teaching style where each child learns at his/her own pace, and the results vary considerably from child to child. Some children excel, some fall way behind. Their rates range from $4.5k to $6k for K-8.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:28 AM

Default Other question

Thanks for your anwser. I am still trying to learn about the school system in the US and the various options we have.

What about the magnet schools?
e.g. Normal Park Museum Magnet Schools in Chattanooga, Tennessee

Is that something people would advice me?

Maybe I have to ask the more general question: suppose my kids don't speak english (3 and 5 years) but both are smarter than average, what is the best option near Chattanooga?

What is a nice area to live (were it is likely to find a house/appartment for rent)?

Thx

Old 11-12-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvbelleg View Post
What about the magnet schools?
e.g. Normal Park Museum Magnet Schools in Chattanooga, Tennessee
Is that something people would advice me?

Maybe I have to ask the more general question: suppose my kids don't speak english (3 and 5 years) but both are smarter than average, what is the best option near Chattanooga?

What is a nice area to live (were it is likely to find a house/appartment for rent)?
Magnet schools in the US are public schools that follow a specific themed teaching style. They use public tax money and are administered through the local school board. Hamilton County, TN, has several magnet schools. Click HERE (http://www.hcde.org/site/schools/magnet_schools/default.aspx - broken link), then click the "Hamilton County Magnet School Program" link to download a pdf file describing them. Normal is a "Museum Magnet", and uses partnerships with and field trips to several local museums to aid in teaching. Other themes include performing arts, creative arts, and math and science.

Admissions to most local magnet schools are a combination of zoned students and lottery. If you want a specific school, your best bet is to move into the zone for that school. HERE is a link to the Hamilton County zoning maps. Normal Park is in the northshore area, across the river from downtown. It's actually one of the better zones for local magnet schools. The zoned/lottery schools also allocate a specific number of student slots for lottery placement. Anyone living in Hamilton county can apply for any magnet school and they have a random chance of getting in.

Several zones for magnet schools are in the worst economic areas. This was done with the admirable goal of giving the most economically disadvantaged people (ones with little to no chance of affording expensive private schooling) with the best shot at a good education. Unfortunately, some of the kids and their parents from those areas don't care about education, and the attitudes of these few hurts the rest of the school. I don't know about the rest of the zoned/lottery magnets, but I do know that I was specifically warned away from the Lakeside and Tyner Academies for Math and Science by a former teacher.

Two magnet schools (CSAS and CSLA) have admissions on a first-come-first-served basis, and they are considered the best public schools in the county. Unfortunately, you've already missed the application day for your 5-year old (you can still apply, but your chances of getting in are fairly slim). Your 3-year old can still get in if you're willing to work for it come next October.

The best non-magnet zoned elementary schools are Westview Elementary (East Brainerd Area) and the Signal Mountain Schools (Thrasher and Nolan Elementary). I also have it on good authority that the Dade County, GA, schools on top of Lookout Mt. are very good.

Non-English speaking... What is their native language? I know Chattanooga has Spanish and German-speaking communities, so living near them could help with the transition. Your 3-yr-old has time to learn English before Kindergarten, but your 5-year may have to struggle a bit. I don't know what the options are for non-English speakers in local schools, but I'm sure things will work out.

Good luck, and welcome to the US!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 AM

5 posts, read 30,755 times
where in Chattanooga is there a German speaking community. I and my husband along with our 2 sons are moving there in jau. We are coming from Germany. I think it would be nice for my family to be around people that speak the German language so they want lose it. And is there any schools that offer German. My sons are 10 and 18yrs.

thank u for any kind of information
late

Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,099 times
From what I've read, Brown Academy and Signal Mountain Middle High School are where the county will be sending German kids who move here. Both schools have International Baccalaureate programs which means the German students would not have to worry about lost credits. They're doing some special thing where the German kids take a "German curriculum" for half the day, while the other half they'll be in the standard U.S. classes, I believe until they are fully integrated into the schools. This special curriculum will only be extended to the German kids who have family at the plant, though, as part of the agreement between Chattanooga and VW.

Currently the county's sending them Brown Academy and Normal Park, but the Normal Park one will be eliminated. I assume Hamilton County plans to place the German kids first in Brown for elementary then Signal for middle and high school.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 18,968 times
Default Neighborhood Options

My family lives in Highland Park. There is a family down the street who recently moved here that is German and another family a few blocks over. Highland Park is a historic neighborhood with a wide range of diversity. We are in downtown and close to just about everything. I hope that you find what you are looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga