Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times

Advertisements

Am on my iPhone so posting a link to Motor Trend would only be the mobile site. They're reporting that a dealership used a loophole to sell police undercover editions of the Aussie born Chevy Caprice with the SS label. It comes with a 6L V8 and rear wheel drive. Soon as Government Motors found out what the dealership had done, they closed the loophole but not before several were bought by civilians for personal use, lucky SOBs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,022,504 times
I seen the article. Truth is, it's an ugly car with a V8. Not enough reason to pay what they got for them I'm sure.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Am on my iPhone so posting a link to Motor Trend would only be the mobile site. They're reporting that a dealership used a loophole to sell police undercover editions of the Aussie born Chevy Caprice with the SS label. It comes with a 6L V8 and rear wheel drive. Soon as Government Motors found out what the dealership had done, they closed the loophole but not before several were bought by civilians for personal use, lucky SOBs.
Yeah, I had heard several dealers had been selling them, but it could have been a rumor about the others? I would love to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I seen the article. Truth is, it's an ugly car with a V8. Not enough reason to pay what they got for them I'm sure.
Imo, I love them. America needs to start selling large RWD V8 powered American cars again... I would buy one in any fashion. They are probably bland looking as they are police models.... civilian models would have some styling tweaks. I still think it looks better than the ugly and aging 2006-2012 Impala that is WAY overdue for a redesign! When that car came out as an all-new model in 2006, it was already outdated... crazy me wanted one, but glad now I didnt get one... by 2007, I was tired of the looks of it... here it is late 2011, still making them for 2012 models. They are underpowered gas-hogs (considering they are V6 cars and only mid-sized) and do not have a traditional smooth American car ride. I think the ride is harsh for a big American car and handling is only so-so. I have ended up with about 10 of these as rental cars since 2006 and barely average 27-30 mpg highway, this is what my 95 Lincoln gets and its a V8 and weighs about 1000 lbs more.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,249 times
Yes, this is true. I saw the article. I wish I were one of the lucky few to get one as well. I think it's a good-looking car myself. It's not as aggressive and cool as the Pontiac G8, but it has a sort of reserved attractiveness that just looks good. When you put the car in civilian garb with something besides white or black and with some nice, civilian alloy wheels, it just looks good.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
I would love one.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,312 times
Here is a link to the article

Chevy Caprice Reports for Civic Duty - Motor Trend

Why didn't they replace the current Impala with this vehicle? It certainly is better then the getting really long in the tooth Impala.

Why is it that regular guys (and gals) can't have cars like this anymore? I don't want to have to spend $50,000- $300,000 to get a rear drive V-8 car, but that's largely what you have to do. I know my dad would love this car too.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Well, if you REALLY REALLY want that car, just go buy it. There are plenty of G8 GT's still out there on the market, which is the same Holden vehicle seen there, just with a Pontiac Badge on it. If GM hadn't killed Pontiac, the G8 would still be in production for mass consumption, it was touted by many as one of the best vehicles in GM's arsenal...unfortunately, the Chevy version looks bland by comparison, if not a tad ugly.

(edit) stand totally corrected, G8 and caprice don't have nearly as much in common as i had originally thought. I'd still skip the caprice for a used G8 though

Last edited by flynavyj; 09-09-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
I'd love a G8, but out of my pricerange for a bit, and I have a feeling it will be one of those cars I can never justify the price for because it will hold its value well.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:18 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,022,504 times
The G8 and this crap caprice look nothing alike. This car looks like something from Suzuki.

Case and point.

Caprice

G8

Caprice

Suzuki

Talk about bland.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
The car is called the Chevrolet Caprice. The Caprice is not a performance sedan. It was an affordable large RWD sedan used by police, taxi, corporate fleets, and private sales. It had a smooth ride and accelerated with plenty of torque. Not flatten you in your seat acceleration, but not slug slow. That's what this Caprice could have been. They then could have taken a page from a successful past and converted some into an Impala SS. Chevy designers took a very bland sedan and turned it into a large touring sedan that is sought after even today, 15 years later. They could make the base sedan with GM's V6 used in the Camaro or even the 3.6L V6 used as the base engine in the CTS. The optional engine could be the entry level V8 used in the Camaro. Save the more powerful engine and suspension set up for the Impala SS. Even the dull Caprice of the 80s could be dressed up to be a near luxurious sedan for it's time. This current Caprice could also be dressed up as well. It has the added benefit of four wheel independent suspension for a better handling ride. If CAFE standards are a problem they could offer a turbo diesel. This, like the Caprice of the past, could be a great highway cruiser that would effortlessly get up to speed and hold that speed at low RPMs for a smooth comfortable ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
The G8 and this crap caprice look nothing alike. This car looks like something from Suzuki.

Case and point.

Caprice

G8

Caprice

Suzuki

Talk about bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC