Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times

Advertisements

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...GM%20Sales.jpg

Overall, sales of the Volt are down 3% for the year so far. This comes as GM has increased its total car sales by just over 9% for the year. The Volt, which has played a central role in the company's rebranding since its government takeover, is badly trailing the rest of the automaker's fleet. The sales disappointment comes even as the company offers special leasing terms and zero-downpayment for the Volt.
Despite nearly constant media promotion, there simply is little mass market demand for electric vehicles. Even if a consumer were shopping for an electric vehicle as an extra car, several battery fires in Volt vehicles doesn't do much to recommend the car.

Chevy Volt Sales Plunge 32% in October
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...GM%20Sales.jpg

Overall, sales of the Volt are down 3% for the year so far. This comes as GM has increased its total car sales by just over 9% for the year. The Volt, which has played a central role in the company's rebranding since its government takeover, is badly trailing the rest of the automaker's fleet. The sales disappointment comes even as the company offers special leasing terms and zero-downpayment for the Volt.
Despite nearly constant media promotion, there simply is little mass market demand for electric vehicles. Even if a consumer were shopping for an electric vehicle as an extra car, several battery fires in Volt vehicles doesn't do much to recommend the car.

Chevy Volt Sales Plunge 32% in October

Don't Worry About the Volt's Reported Battery Woes - Popular Mechanics

Old 12-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
With the fall in gas prices to just above $3 and remaining there for so long that's not a surprise. Electric vehicle sales depend on sustained high gas prices to justify the additional cost and inconvenience.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
How is Tesla doing?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:48 PM

The Volt is the best-selling PHEV ever built. I agree that lower gas prices will equal lower adoption of alt fuel vehicles.

We've had Volts for 3 years now. Anyone who is driving an ICE auto and freaking out over the remote possibility of a battery-related fire is right up there with the flat Earth crowd.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 AM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
How is Tesla doing?

Tesla is status vehicle. Green and Wealthy. Volt is GM parody of Nissan Leaf. No one in sane mind will believe, company which such chitted reputation as GM can produce anything more reliable than a half way decent pick up truck. But for even that, simply go to any GM or Chevy truck forum and read endless rants.

Btw, OP.

Chevy Volt Sales down 1/3 in October yr/yr

1/3 is THIRTY THREE%, not 3%.
Oh, what a nice surprise. So $3 a gallon is a new "gas is cheap" standard? Didn't take long for sheeple to get brainwashed and go back to buying expensive gas hogs. Shinjirarei.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
all these cars are too expensive for me,,,but i do believe their is a reason for this,,,

the u.s. can cut gas consumption in half within a year,,,

make it so a consumer can purchase a volt for under 10k

thats it,,plain and simple,,

why dont they do this??
because state and federal government depends on the gas tax of every gallon of gas,,,if that was cut in half,, billions of tax dollars wouldnt be coming in..

Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Battery technology still hasn't managed the energy density of gasoline, and are still expensive compared to the well proven and still improving ICE technology. The Volt is an attempt to address the lack of range issue, and at this point the people who really want one have one. Add to that the redesigned 2014 model and Chevy would have a hard time selling them.

If the Volt and say the Malibu were the same price GM could sell more Volts. With the Volt the same price as a Cadillac ATS it's a much tougher sell. I know what I'd buy

Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
all these cars are too expensive for me,,,but i do believe their is a reason for this,,,

the u.s. can cut gas consumption in half within a year,,,

make it so a consumer can purchase a volt for under 10k

thats it,,plain and simple,,

why dont they do this??
because state and federal government depends on the gas tax of every gallon of gas,,,if that was cut in half,, billions of tax dollars wouldnt be coming in..
This.

And this is why we're going to see a complete change in transportation taxes. You've got to have money to have roads, so we're going to see a move to a "charge per mile" as opposed to the current state & federal gas tax. It's only a matter of time.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Tesla is status vehicle. Green and Wealthy. Volt is GM parody of Nissan Leaf. No one in sane mind will believe, company which such chitted reputation as GM can produce anything more reliable than a half way decent pick up truck. But for even that, simply go to any GM or Chevy truck forum and read endless rants.

Btw, OP.

Chevy Volt Sales down 1/3 in October yr/yr

1/3 is THIRTY THREE%, not 3%.
Oh, what a nice surprise. So $3 a gallon is a new "gas is cheap" standard? Didn't take long for sheeple to get brainwashed and go back to buying expensive gas hogs. Shinjirarei.
They're great cars. Having driven a 2011 for 3 years and a 2014 for a week now, it's safe to say my knowledge of these cars exceeds your vague ramblings.

You can't make people choose highly efficient cars. That's the only problem.

Also? Volt predates Leaf. Leaf is EV. Volt is PHEV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC