Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,148 times

Advertisements

My family and I may be moving to the Chicago area in the near future for a work opportunity in Downers Grove. We would like to live in an area that's more urban or at least established suburban with decent transport links to the city of Chicago. Walkability to stores, restaurants, parks, etc. would be preferable.

We have a 6-year old daughter, so good public schools are our top priority. Safe neighborhoods are also a top priority. We would be looking to rent initially but eventually purchase. New and big houses or lots are not as big of a concern as the characteristics I mention above.

Based on these criteria, I imagine some of the established inner western/northern suburbs might be preferable, although I'd still like to keep the commute to Downers Grove under 30min each way if possible.

Budget for a rental would be $1200-1700 per month.

Am looking forward to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Mod: please move this thread to the Chicago Suburb forum

Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
How about Downers Grove itself? It has a nice, walkable downtown area. And several blocks near the downtown are traditional tree-lined streets with older homes, front porches, etc. The schools are good, it's a safe community, and it has really great Metra express trains to the city. Some blocks even have brick streets. The most charming blocks are north and west of the downtown strip. Though I will warn you that once you get away from the downtown area it really becomes a typical post-war suburb pretty quickly.

Other towns like this along the BNSF Metra route include downtown Naperville, Hinsdale, Western Springs, and La Grange.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default More details on budget needed...

...you can find one or two bed room apartments in the area within your budget. A bigger apartment or house is going to be tougher to find at that price point. Depending on your needs / wants it may make sense to do the leg work and track down something that works.

DG has excellent Metra service, plenty of rush hour expresses make the trip to DG Mainstreet among the swiftest on he whole system.

If your job is office related it may be located close to the interchanges at I-88 or I-355, so driving from points along the EastWest or NorthSouth tollways might be an option, though frankly most any savings in rent would come at a trade off of the amenities / schools in DG.

The downtown core of DG is very walkable, with a great library, many shops, some nice restaurants , spots to stop for a beverage, etc.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Yeah, that budget is a bit problematic.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
I'm not familiar with the going rates for rentals, but I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
How about Downers Grove itself?

Other towns like this along the BNSF Metra route include downtown Naperville, Hinsdale, Western Springs, and La Grange.
All great towns with great schools and walkable neighborhoods with Metra access.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone.

I didn't realize how well the Metra system extends into the suburbs. It definitely makes living there more attractive. I'd be the one working in DG and could easily take my car, but my wife might find better employment opportunities closer into the city, so good transport links would be important for her (she's not terribly comfortable driving in big city environments).

The rents in these communities seem much more reasonable than the better neighborhoods in the city. Although we could probably push $2000, I really would like to stay under $1700 if possible.

Should find out in the next few weeks or so about a visit and potential move.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:23 PM

PS - Are good public schools pretty much a given in all of these communities along the BNSF line, including Downers Grove itself. Any communities to avoid?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
You really can't go wrong with LaGrange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, or Downers Grove. They all have good schools with very slight differences. Hinsdale's schools are probably the best of the bunch, followed by Western Springs, then LaGrange and Downers Grove but all are good. I wouldn't get too hung up on subtle differences, nor would I avoid any of them. You basically can't go wrong.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Generally...

...the towns in DuPage along the BNSF have some real differences in cost. The more affordable towns attract a different mix of people than the more expensive towns, and in Illinois the best predictor of school performance is housing cost...

That said there are not really any towns to avoid, the only school district anywhere near the BNSF that you want to steer clear of is East Aurora, though it lies west of the Rt 59 stop and east of the Aurora terminus.

The more affordable towns ( like Lisle and Westmont) still have lots of desirable spots, though the sections that are denser with apartment complexes tend to be least desirable among all options along the DuPage portion of the BNSF....Clear?

The thing I want to convey is that where rents are lower and units more plentiful the wiser choice, when considering schools, may be to do more leg / avoid the easy choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs