Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 14,769 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
First of all thank you for the tons of useful information in these forums. I have been poring through the posts the last few days.

Here is my situation
I am relocating to Chicago from Columbus for work reasons.
My office is directly across the Union Station downtown.
For this reason I want to live near a station on the BNSF Metra RAIL line.
I know zilch about Chicago. Therefore I am looking to rent for 6-12 months
before I buy a home.
I am used to having a commute of less than 10 mins in Columbus and I
realize that this won't be possible in Chicago unless I shell out a bunch of
moola for living in the city. That is a different post in the Chicago forum
however

I have been looking at living in Naperville and at an apartment complex called Railway Plaza. Again, the reason is that I want to live as close as possible to a station on the BNSF line to minimize commute time.
I have been told that the commute time from Naperville to Union station is 45 mins which is unacceptable to me.
I don't want the commute to be more than 20 mins.

So, can you recommend a city closer to Union station on the BNSF line?
Also can you recommend a good apartment complex?
I am looking for a 2 bedrrom and a 1 or 2 bath apartment and not looking to pay more than $1300-$1400/month.

Thank You for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
You seem determined to be on the BNSF line. There are a few other lines that go into Union Station. On the BNSF line, Brookfield or LaGrange might be within range. Since you are not used to rail transport you may find some differences. For one thing, many will put up with a longer trip if it is by rail and you can relax. Everyone seems to want to live in Naperville: singles for the nightlife, parents for the schools.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Naperville will be out of the question if you want a commute that short. You've got a good budget so i'd look in areas such as la grange, brookfield, possibly western springs if have to be on the BNSF line. Otherwise elmhurt, forest park and park ridge could also be options on different metra train lines.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktimesk View Post
Hi all,
First of all thank you for the tons of useful information in these forums. I have been poring through the posts the last few days.

Here is my situation
I am relocating to Chicago from Columbus for work reasons.
My office is directly across the Union Station downtown.
For this reason I want to live near a station on the BNSF Metra RAIL line.
I know zilch about Chicago. Therefore I am looking to rent for 6-12 months
before I buy a home.
I am used to having a commute of less than 10 mins in Columbus and I
realize that this won't be possible in Chicago unless I shell out a bunch of
moola for living in the city. That is a different post in the Chicago forum
however

I have been looking at living in Naperville and at an apartment complex called Railway Plaza. Again, the reason is that I want to live as close as possible to a station on the BNSF line to minimize commute time.
I have been told that the commute time from Naperville to Union station is 45 mins which is unacceptable to me.
I don't want the commute to be more than 20 mins.

So, can you recommend a city closer to Union station on the BNSF line?
Also can you recommend a good apartment complex?
I am looking for a 2 bedrrom and a 1 or 2 bath apartment and not looking to pay more than $1300-$1400/month.

Thank You for your time.
Not that its much closer but cool area would be the fifth avenue apts in Naperville at the downtown Naperville train station. There's soem retail stores, restaurants etc in the building. Kind of a cool loft feeling to the place also just a few blocks from the dt naperville bars.

Lisle also has some townhomes and apts right near their train station that are in your price range. Not much closer to the city though just one stop.

If you wantd to be closer to the city on that the same line bnsf northern the only decent burb I can think of would be brookfield aka hollywood. Not a whole lot of nightlife though. If your comming from columbus and enjoyed hving bars and restaurants naperville would most fit your bill if you reallyu want to live in the burbs instead of the city.

I think living hear, especially in the burbs you'll realize nothing is really close, youll drive to grocery shop, drive to go to the mall etc.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 PM

214 posts, read 545,843 times
There are other Metra lines that go to Union Station. Three more lines go to Ogilvie station which is only three blocks away. No reason you have to limit yourself to the BNSF tracks.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM

247 posts, read 688,366 times
You should be able to find a decent place in the city for 1300-1400 a month, or even less than that.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM

Default Thanks for your feedback so far

I would like to live in the city if I could. I have heard that parking is a major hassle.
I would like to live in a 2 bed/1bath with central heating and A/C, parking included, in apt washer and dryer or at least a washer and dryer hookup.

Everything else is optional.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 PM

247 posts, read 688,366 times
Parking depends on which neighborhood you're in. Some neighborhoods have better parking than others. I've heard that parking at the train station in Naperville is also bad.

You might want to consider a near west suburb like Oak Park, Berwyn, LaGrange...

Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 AM

I know I had it narrowed down to naperville if I lived in the city but that is a 1 hr commute to the Union station. I am looking to cut my commute in half.
Can anyone recommend apartments for rent in the following neighborhoods? Also some feedback regarding the neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.
Lagrange
Hinsdale,
Brookfield,
Riverside

Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Berwyn has several apartments along the BNSF line on Stanley Ave. and Windsor, and three Metra stops at Harlem, Oak Park and LaVergne. It's an 18 minute ride from the furthest one (Harlem) to Union Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs