Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,095 times

Advertisements

Currently we live in Naperville but I will need to start commuting to Addison and possibly Northbrook. Is there a good option that is nearby or between the two?
Elements we are looking for:
Good schools
Affordable housing ($350-$425K) 3-4 bed/2.5 bath
active health/fitness culture
Town center (not just a bedroom community)

My husband is a stay-at-home Dad and teaches yoga, boxing, martial arts, and is a trainer.
Naperville has not been great for oppportunities for him so we are hoping that a move might offer more possibilities, plus be a little less conservative than Naperville. (more accepting of stay at home Dad's who teach yoga/martial arts) (more facilities to teach in)

We have been looking around but it seems like open minded suburbs like Evanston are super expensive. Other Northshore suburbs get more expensive and more conservative. St. Charlies seems like it might be closer to what we are seeking but it is nowhere near Addison or Northbrook.
Is there something out there for what we are looking for or are all the elements I am trying to fit together just not possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,132,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCTB View Post
Currently we live in Naperville but I will need to start commuting to Addison and possibly Northbrook. Is there a good option that is nearby or between the two?
Elements we are looking for:
Good schools
Affordable housing ($350-$425K) 3-4 bed/2.5 bath
active health/fitness culture
Town center (not just a bedroom community)

My husband is a stay-at-home Dad and teaches yoga, boxing, martial arts, and is a trainer.
Naperville has not been great for oppportunities for him so we are hoping that a move might offer more possibilities, plus be a little less conservative than Naperville. (more accepting of stay at home Dad's who teach yoga/martial arts) (more facilities to teach in)

We have been looking around but it seems like open minded suburbs like Evanston are super expensive. Other Northshore suburbs get more expensive and more conservative. St. Charlies seems like it might be closer to what we are seeking but it is nowhere near Addison or Northbrook.
Is there something out there for what we are looking for or are all the elements I am trying to fit together just not possible?
Addison and Northbrook are in two different directions. But if you are more progressive/liberal the place most people consider (Also where I live) is Oak Park. Northbrook is basically directly north from OP along 294. Addison is west along 290. Possibly a half hour-40 minutes one way.

Housing is expensive however in Oak Park. There may be some houses that are in that price range, but they would be small, and in need of some work.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
I'd give mt. prospect or des planes a shot. Both are what you are looking for and not as conservative as naperville.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Curious, by what measure are judging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'd give mt. prospect or des planes a shot. Both are what you are looking for and not as conservative as naperville.
I understand these kinds of things are highly subjective, but in my experience I would call both Mt. Prospect and Desplaines MORE traditional / conservative than N'ville. Older residents, less new blood, more staid options in terms of both commerce and public services...

I would agree that commute from either town to Addison / Northbrook would be no worse than from N'ville but might involve trade off for schools.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:13 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,074 times
Arlington Heights, Des Plaines, maybe even Palatine. All have good schools, Des Plaines a little less so, but lots of diversity in those communities and absolutely more liberal than Naperville.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Unless you are commuting to Northbrook often, why move because you are doing a Naperville to Addison commute? Are you looking for justifications to move because you don't like where you live or are you trying to trim your 40 minute commute to a 15-20 minute commute? Or are you going to Northbrook often? Moving is expensive! I always figure $5-10K minimum to move when you add moving costs, fixing up new place, closing costs etc......
Depending on where in Addison, parts of Arlington Heights/Prospect Heights/Mt. Prospect will put you 20-30 minutes from both and in good school districts. I'm near Rte 83 & palatine Rd and it is about 30 minutes to Rohlwing & North (quicker sometimes) and about 20 minutes to many parts of Northbrook (sometimes a little longer getting through traffic backup at Palatine between Milwaukee and Sanders or Euclid between Rte 45 and Milwaukee)

Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Arlington Heights, Des Plaines, maybe even Palatine. All have good schools, Des Plaines a little less so, but lots of diversity in those communities and absolutely more liberal than Naperville.
What? These communities are absolutely more liberal than Naperville?? Why does everyone think Naperville is so much more conservative than there northern Cook County suburbs? I don't get it. Naperville has a thriving downtown more metra oriented (at least the older part) than those aforementioned places.

Maybe perhaps a bit of the conservative Christian stance spill over from Wheaton, but besides that I don't get it.

Naperville has just as many Asians and many of the NW suburbs (Lots of Chinese, Indian,etc.) Like Chet said new fresh blood. Sure there aren't many hispanics as Palatine or Des Plaines (Arlington Hts is very white) in Naperville and other souther DuPage suburbs, but there are in nearby Aurora. And personally I don't see whats the difference. There maybe a Naperville-Aurora division, but WITHIN Palatine or Des Plaines its is segregated. Arlington Hts is in no way significantly more liberal or diverse than Naperville.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
What? These communities are absolutely more liberal than Naperville?? Why does everyone think Naperville is so much more conservative than there northern Cook County suburbs? I don't get it. Naperville has a thriving downtown more metra oriented (at least the older part) than those aforementioned places.

Maybe perhaps a bit of the conservative Christian stance spill over from Wheaton, but besides that I don't get it.

Naperville has just as many Asians and many of the NW suburbs (Lots of Chinese, Indian,etc.) Like Chet said new fresh blood. Sure there aren't many hispanics as Palatine or Des Plaines (Arlington Hts is very white) in Naperville and other souther DuPage suburbs, but there are in nearby Aurora. And personally I don't see whats the difference. There maybe a Naperville-Aurora division, but WITHIN Palatine or Des Plaines its is segregated. Arlington Hts is in no way significantly more liberal or diverse than Naperville.
I didn't focus on diversity in my recommendation of AH, Prospect Hts or Mt Prospect. I focused on location, quality of schools and quality of life. I live in AH but kids attend Prospect Hts Dist 23. Not many African Americans but otherwise VERY diverse. Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Polish, Eygptian, Russian, Ukranian, Israeli, Korean and on and on. Yes AH is majority white, but it is more diverse than you might think and it is VERY tolerant. During the election of '08 saw about an even mix of Mc Cain, Obama, Kirk and Seals yard signs. Trader Joe's is nearby, Whole Foods is Nearby in Palatine and the AH Garden Fresh Grocery store has many ethnic foods.
More diverse than Naperville? Don't know, but certainly not homogeneous.
Heck my suggestion was to stay in Naperville and commute to Addison unless the trips to Northbrook were to tiring/demanding and too often. I like AH and certainly am a "homer", but Naperville has some really appealing areas, a lively downtown and has good schools.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I didn't focus on diversity in my recommendation of AH, Prospect Hts or Mt Prospect. I focused on location, quality of schools and quality of life. I live in AH but kids attend Prospect Hts Dist 23. Not many African Americans but otherwise VERY diverse. Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Polish, Eygptian, Russian, Ukranian, Israeli, Korean and on and on. Yes AH is majority white, but it is more diverse than you might think and it is VERY tolerant. During the election of '08 saw about an even mix of Mc Cain, Obama, Kirk and Seals yard signs. Trader Joe's is nearby, Whole Foods is Nearby in Palatine and the AH Garden Fresh Grocery store has many ethnic foods.
More diverse than Naperville? Don't know, but certainly not homogeneous.
Heck my suggestion was to stay in Naperville and commute to Addison unless the trips to Northbrook were to tiring/demanding and too often. I like AH and certainly am a "homer", but Naperville has some really appealing areas, a lively downtown and has good schools.
Your post was fine, it was chitown85s post that sounded a bit biased.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
You probably want to move to Fort Collins, or Colorado in general. The f*t*ss*s around here don't want to exercise anything but their jaws, hence the thousands of buffets. oink oink!
WHAT?! The group ride yesterday had at least 40 riders. I see plenty cyclists & runners on my weekend bike rides and plenty of runners, joggers, power walkers, bladers and cyclists on my runs around Lake Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs