Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times

Advertisements

all fair feedback. I'm growing more and more anxious. Anyone want to rent my 3 kids for the weekend so we can go on an exploring trip ?? (kidding of course)

It's aggravating the snot out of me that his offer has not yet arrived - he accepted the position 3 weeks ago!! (his new boss has been in and out of the hospital, his old boss and new boss are having a urination contest regarding his start date - thus the delays)

My understanding is that the territory is not geographically based, which totally bites!

Sorry for the rant, I'm getting really frustrated. Oh - I totally know that we are not going to find what we presently have - not a goal - our goal is to find the right balance of commute / comfort.

Still - if you know of any upcoming rentals - please - PM me if you aren't comfortable posting them here!! Thank you all - I do appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
Sorry for the rant, I'm getting really frustrated. Oh - I totally know that we are not going to find what we presently have - not a goal - our goal is to find the right balance of commute / comfort.
Then you should definitely look at renting to get a feel for the area. I'd suggest the far NW side of the city, Skokie, Park Ridge, Oak Park, River Forest, Forest Park, Oak Lawn or the Beverly/Mount Greenwood areas on the south side of the city. Commutes from those locations would be manageable.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times

Also be warned none of the areas mentioned probably fit your idea of suburban. They are very urban to less urban than a typical city neighborhood, but not quite post WWII or even 1960ies suburbia.

Beverly although it is a nice Southside neighborhood is a little out of the way from most of the city imho. It is a nice area but you just are not that near any expressway to quickly get you to other parts of the city. Oak lawn is probably the most suburban looking of them all and likewise a tad out of the way. It can do but I think I would choose Oak Park, forest park over them due to location.

Oak Park and Forrest Park are near 290 which are kind of/sort of central to the city(Think an uneven cut through the middle since the south side of the city is the largest area of the city). Using 290 you can get to all the other expressways in the city. It won't always save street driving but it can be quicker to drive 290 to the Dan Ryan than to drive the street down to some far south side location. This I think could be a better place to rent then move to a more ideal location. The only kicker is if all the schools are in one area far to the north or south of Oak park, then it is less ideal. These locations are more central but central to the city might not be ideal to the locations he needs to work at.

Skokie is reasonably close to 94 and likewise isn’t that bad a choice, but traffic on 90/94 heading north (the Kennedy) is unpredictable and very bad esp. where 90 and 94 split. 290 usually just jams during rush hour. Northbound 90/94 likes to jam when it feels like it. However access to 90/94 is still very useful. The risk of Skokie is that if all of the schools are to the south you are in for a long commute.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Does Husband need to be at school(s) at certain time? Every day? Schools don't want to see salesmen at arrival or dismissal time. If he can control his schedule, commuting becomes much easier than always fighting the rush hour traffic.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
he's involved in food management - he's "back of house" and is definitely a welcome visitor when he arrives. My understanding is that his piece of it will be 150 schools. Not divvied up geographically. He's planning to be onsite at any of his facilities early - and then head home early as well. I believe his work hours will be 7-3. (theoretically leave at 6a, home by 5). Still a long day no matter how you slice it!

Just got back from peds ... 2 of my kids have strep ... GREAT add that to the stress of moving!!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Actually, your husband's work hours are GREAT. He will avoid much of the worst rush hour traffic.

I agree with those who suggest just renting now. Try to find a suburb central/close to the city and see how his work/driving schedule evolves.

Within your price range, take a look at Craig's list apartments/?houses for Forest Park and Oak Park. Oak Park has the better schools. You can sometimes get shorter leases in Oak Park (eg. 6 months) so you can move again more easily if the location is not perfect for you.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
...Schools don't want to see salesmen at arrival or dismissal time...
What?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
...Skokie/Morton Grove/Niles are good choices...
I agree. But as usual here comes Oak Park.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times
Well, really, if I'm understanding correctly, the schools are all over the place. So the near western suburbs are probably going to be the best choice.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan
...Schools don't want to see salesmen at arrival or dismissal time...

Avenger: What did you not understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs