Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:45 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
I use to travel from Oak Park to Andersonville once a week @ 6:30 p.m., and I would always make it in 30 minutes. In terms of getting to various city neighborhoods, it feels like an extension of the city. OP/RF are great for both city and west suburban access. My bottom line is I feel more a part of the city than were I to live in a further out suburb...popping into the city on a Saturday whim is much more likely to occur from Oak Park than from LaGrange (though I love LaGrange too and could easily live there). RF schools are great. Nightlife is less an issue for the over 30 w/ young kids crowd...you can quickly and easily get to any and all cultural and night life options - Lyric, symphony, House of Blues, art in pilsen, shopping in Oak Brook, or Caffe de Luca in Forest Park....if at 30-sumpin' you need to hang out on Rush street or Division to pick up trash then time to make an appt w/ Dr. Phil ...so there you go

Why put down Rush and Division? Its a nightlife spot. So what. Theres fun places to dance there. Trash? Why be judgemental??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 AM

40 posts, read 170,145 times
I moved to Oak Park from another state and had only 3 weeks to find a place to live. I'd checked out the city for several months and finding good schools just seemed to complicated. I decided on Oak Park and I love it!!!! It has everything I was looking for:
1. Good schools (Must have when you have a 6 year old!!!)
2. Quick Commute downtown
3. Great public transportation - el and Metra station
4. Walkable neighborhood
5. It's own downtown
6. Diversity
7. Interesting Vibe - people around, walking dogs, jogging, parks, outdoor restaraunts, festivals, etc
8. It's visually appealing

As far as getting places, I go where I want when I want. If I want to drive to Lakeview to meet friends, I don't care that it takes 45 minutes because it's not every day. It's pretty ridiculous to think one can go to all the places one wants in less than 15 minutes in a city of this size. Relax people! However, a daily long commute......for me that would suck!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Oak Park is where you go if you liked living in the city but now have young kids, don't have a taste for one or more aspects of traditional suburban lifestyle, and don't want to pay for private school.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM

172 posts, read 438,363 times
It takes you 45 mins to get from Oak Park to Lakeview? Is this during rush hour? If there is no traffic we usually make it to Lakeview in around 25 mins. (We live in Cicero)

Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,410 times
My husband schools in Downer's Grove and I wanted to be as close to Chicago as possible. Oak Park was our compromise. It's safe, pretty - and rents are reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs