Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 17,158 times

Advertisements

So, we're relocating to Lisle. I stumbled upon some homes for sale in Channahon. Since I've never seen it mentioned as possible options for suburban living, what can anyone tell me about this city? Is it practical to think my husband could commute to his job in Lisle every day? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 01:12 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
My aunt has lived in Channahon for about 13 years now. She really likes the park district there. Taxes are kind of high, and it's getting built up fast. Oh yeah, and it's right by the nuclear plant. That's about all I know.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Congestion could be a killer...

Even if the job in Lisle is in the extreme portion of town it would be the kind of commute that makes people hate driving in Chicago.

If the job is in the northwest part of Lisle (and many are) the congestion along the whole route would mean some days would be really awful.

The combination of the Stevenson, I355, and I88 would be huge deterrent.

Channahon has lots of folks that left Joilet, and in comparison it is a much more rural place, I suppose that is why it is not as commonly discussed as an option for most suburban commutes.

Depending upon how screaming a deal you are envisioning I could see folks with a very secure work situation contemplating the move, but should job move from southern Lisle to anyplace even a bit further east or north the commute would just be in the "you gotta be kidding me" category...

Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 PM

217 posts, read 581,397 times
The commute would be bad, add snow and it will be crazy.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Thanks for all the advice. My husband's job is going to be in the old Lucent Tech building. I have no idea what side of Lisle that is on. I was hoping I had found our perfect community. I guess I'll keep looking, and trying very hard to get excited about this move.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Really depends on tolerance for traffic and stability...

Lucent mostly had buildings on the extreme north end of Lisle, off of Warrenville Rd, near Naper.

There was an Ameritech facility on the south end of town, off of Rt 53 difference is one is not too far from the 63rd St or Maple Ave exits from 355, the other requires heading up to 88 and then off at Naper -- big differnce during rush hour.

I suppose if the job stays at the facility (and if it is Navistar I think they are making a big investment in that site, so they will probably be there a long time if they don't have layoffs...)it MIGHT makes sense for a big discount, but if job moves (or you get tired of living way out there...) It would be hard to predict how selling would work out. I would feel better getting a bargain closer to Lisle so that if job ends up not workingmout there are other options or youncouldmbe reasonably certainly of not sellingmforma loss...

Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Yes, it is Navistar. Yes, they're making a huge investment. And, right now, they're just hoping to retain their workforce- because no one from Ft. Wayne, IN wants to move anywhere near Chicago. So, layoffs are not in the immediate future, but always a possibility in the automotive industry.

Our current situation is we are on assignment in Monterrey, Mexico. My husband's current commute is: 1 hour in the am and at least 1 1/2 hours in the evening.

Is that what we're looking at if we move to Channahon? Or will it be worse.

I get that 2 things are inevitable in the Chicago area: taxes and traffic (unless you're lucky enough to have a studio apt under your desk). So, I'm just wondering if a more peaceful lifestyle is worth the trade-off....

Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Default I think you should look closer to Lisle...

Without knowing your budget I can't make too many suggestions, but I know there are some really attractively priced homes on the market in towns much closer to where your husband will be working and the likelihood of those homes being a better long term bet.

If you don't want a long commute, and have the ability to get either a place that is a shortsale or foreclosure I would jump on it -- towns like Warrenville, Naperville, Lombard, Wheaton, Lisle, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn are much closer, but also in general pricier than the fringe areas.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Probably no one from Ft Wayne wants to move there because of a large increase in cost of living. Channahon would definitely be a rough commute, unless a carpool can be formed.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Okay, thanks. Back to the drawing board. Naperville is ideal, for lots of reasons, although I've heard horrible things about their traffic, too. Anyway, we may just rent there for a while and see how we like living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs