Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieTA View Post
I personally wouldn't consider Evanston a true suburb (though it technically is). Many consider it part of Chicago. I believe it's part of Chicago's "gold coast" ... ritzy neighborhoods on the lake. While I'm sure it'd be fantastic to live there ... it'll be closer to city living than suburb life.

Um, NO. Many may consider Evanston similar to Chicago's nicer north side neighborhoods, but people know it's not Chicago. And how can the residential streets north of Central Av. be confused with Chicago?! The lots are too big; it looks more like Wilmette than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 11:33 AM

12 posts, read 21,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
OK. Gives you flexibility. What do you like to do recreation wise or hobby wise? What do you need to be near to be happy? Is within walking distance more important than having to use your car? Do you like rural, suburban or urban living?
I am pretty flexible. One thing that Houston doesnt have is nature. (the kind of nature Im used to growing up in northern MI)
I love the outdoors. Hiking, Biking, Beaches....of course in the winter time I love to ski (cross country). I feel like Ill have more of that in IL in general...but driving to get to that isnt a problem. Im used to driving everywhere. I also have two dogs that love the dog park but none of these are "must haves" which is why Im interested in learning what some of the main areas are like. To be quite honest, there are robberies/drugs/ and shootings often where I live now and Im quite tired of it, so I really just want somewhere that this isnt happening on a weekly basis.

Other then that I dont really have many hobbies. lol, that sounds boring. We are your normal couple that enjoys going to dinner/movies/occasional concerts & comedy clubs, maybe a piano bar here and there... Thats about it. Not big night life people. Compared to everywhere I have lived, I like suburban feel the best, but I grew up in rural so I am open to both.

Dont know if that helps at all, but I do feel less confused already based on the info Ive gotten on here. Ive been doing research for so long, getting feedback from others just confirms or rules out things for me.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM

39 posts, read 156,391 times
Quote:
Um, NO. Many may consider Evanston similar to Chicago's nicer north side neighborhoods, but people know it's not Chicago. And how can the residential streets north of Central Av. be confused with Chicago?! The lots are too big; it looks more like Wilmette than Chicago.
LOL. You clearly know everything ...

FYI - I work with a large corporation that has locations all over the country ... about 50 in the Chicagoland area. Many people call my location (in the NW burbs) and say "that location in the city" or "the Chicago one" and are, in fact, refering to our Evanston location.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
When you get north of central street, you are almost in Wilmette. I really have no idea what streets you are talking about here because I did not see big lots anywhere in Evanston.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
I think the biggest change for you will be the weather. Although the winters can be brutal I would actually prefer changing seasons, it brings flexibility and its not the same thing day after day. I honestly don't like Texas and I don't see what the big deal is, no offense. Chicago is a great city and one of my personal favorites. In terms of neighborhoods if you are looking around Schaumburg, also check into Arlington Heights, Palatine, and Hoffman Estates. If you look around Naperville also consider Bolingbrook, Plainfield, and Romeoville. If you looking around $1200 a month IMO I think you would get more for your money in the South suburbs. The nice thing is whether you live in the North suburbs or the South suburbs the drive is about 30-40 minutes to Chicago(with no traffic or weather complications of course). Just be ready for corrupt politics, barely fixed roads, and those dang Packers fans lol.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:18 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
FYI - I work with a large corporation that has locations all over the country ... about 50 in the Chicagoland area. Many people call my location (in the NW burbs) and say "that location in the city" or "the Chicago one" and are, in fact, refering to our Evanston location.
So what?

Evanston is not Chicago.

Nobody born and/or raised in Chicago considers Evanston to be in Chicago.

You and people like you will get laughed at when talking to a native.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
My family and I are moving to FL this summer. We can get a bigger, better house in a much prettier area (with much better weather!) for much less than this area. Granted we're looking to buy, but still.
Bye.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
I personally wouldn't consider Evanston a true suburb (though it technically is). Many consider it part of Chicago. I believe it's part of Chicago's "gold coast" ...
No and No.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
Does your fiancé have a job lined up?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 PM

12 posts, read 21,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I think the biggest change for you will be the weather. Although the winters can be brutal I would actually prefer changing seasons, it brings flexibility and its not the same thing day after day. I honestly don't like Texas and I don't see what the big deal is, no offense. Chicago is a great city and one of my personal favorites. In terms of neighborhoods if you are looking around Schaumburg, also check into Arlington Heights, Palatine, and Hoffman Estates. If you look around Naperville also consider Bolingbrook, Plainfield, and Romeoville. If you looking around $1200 a month IMO I think you would get more for your money in the South suburbs. The nice thing is whether you live in the North suburbs or the South suburbs the drive is about 30-40 minutes to Chicago(with no traffic or weather complications of course). Just be ready for corrupt politics, barely fixed roads, and those dang Packers fans lol.
I AM A PACKER FAN! GO PACK GO! So, I will be right at home haha
Thanks! I appreciate that help. Im ready for the change in weather which really wont be a change SO much since I spent the first 19 years of my life in Northern Michigan (the UP). I actually am the only person in tx that doesnt complain when it gets 'cold' lol

What south burbs are nice? Some people scared me off from the south side of chicago so I have not explored there much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Does your fiancé have a job lined up?
No, but we are financially secure to not "need" jobs for 6mths to a year or longer..so we would like to find the best area for us and we will find jobs based on that and when we are ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs