Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 16,287 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job located in LaGrange, IL and know next to nothing about the Chicago suburbs and in particular LaGrange. Can anyone give me a sense of the LaGrange vibe and what it is like to live there?

Things I would like where I live:
-Medium size (think Madison, Portland, and Seattle)
-Overall politically liberal -Large number of people in their late twenties and early thirties.
-Short commutes and easy access to public transportation.
-Easy access to urban environment and outdoor parks and green spaces
-Ultimate frisbee leagues or pickup nearby
-Access to lakes for sailboat racing and windsurfing
-Good bike trails
-Local non-chain restaurants and shops

Are there any particular parts of this suburb or other suburbs that I should try to at least drive a round to get a feel for the area?

How easy would it be to live in one of Chicago neighborhoods closer to the core?

Any problems with crime or other issues?

What is the general vibe in LaGrange?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,341,538 times
LaGrange is a suburb filled with families. It has around 20,000 people, which is more of a small city.

There is nothing wrong with that suburb, but I think what you are looking for only exists in the Chicago. The question is if you will be willing to put up with long commute times by train or car.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
We pretty much have only one lake here. Luckily, its a pretty big one. LaGrange is close enough that you can live in the desirable north lakefront neighborhoods and commute without too much hassle.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Madison is a college town, that sort of mix of kids is going to exist inn the parts of Chicago near the collge campuses and most of the lake front as well as some hipster areas.

Depending on what kind of job offer you have in LaGrange you might be able to take Metra, our regional commuter railway via the BNSF. There is some Pace suburban bus service that connects to the handful of employment centers that are not walkable from the train (like the hospital).

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleback View Post
I am considering a job located in LaGrange, IL and know next to nothing about the Chicago suburbs and in particular LaGrange. Can anyone give me a sense of the LaGrange vibe and what it is like to live there?

Things I would like where I live:
-Medium size (think Madison, Portland, and Seattle)
-Overall politically liberal -Large number of people in their late twenties and early thirties.
-Short commutes and easy access to public transportation.
-Easy access to urban environment and outdoor parks and green spaces
-Ultimate frisbee leagues or pickup nearby
-Access to lakes for sailboat racing and windsurfing
-Good bike trails
-Local non-chain restaurants and shops

Are there any particular parts of this suburb or other suburbs that I should try to at least drive a round to get a feel for the area?

How easy would it be to live in one of Chicago neighborhoods closer to the core?

Any problems with crime or other issues?

What is the general vibe in LaGrange?
You will have to live in the City of Chicago to get what you are looking for. You could live in Oak Park as well I suppose. I assume the commute from Chicago/Oak Park to LaGrange is horrible, though I don't really know.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM

358 posts, read 847,997 times
It feels kinda like a psychedelic trip through the 20's with the scent of some 70's herbs lofting between tangerine trees beneath marmalade skies.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM

298 posts, read 580,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You will have to live in the City of Chicago to get what you are looking for. You could live in Oak Park as well I suppose. I assume the commute from Chicago/Oak Park to LaGrange is horrible, though I don't really know.
The commute from Oak Park to LaGrange is easy non rush (Ike to LaGrange Rd South). 15-20 minutes. Even during rush it's fine....

From the city central you could take Ogden all the way and it's still fine. Not pretty, but not too bad.

All in all LaGrange is a great burb, great architecture, with lots of amenities to the west. Politically mixed, very nice people.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,187,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
LaGrange is a suburb filled with families. It has around 20,000 people, which is more of a small city.

There is nothing wrong with that suburb, but I think what you are looking for only exists in the Chicago. The question is if you will be willing to put up with long commute times by train or car.
Aurora has 200,000 people, that's a small city. 20,000 is a medium sized town.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,341,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Aurora has 200,000 people, that's a small city. 20,000 is a medium sized town.
In my mind in some ways I agree. But, unfortunately, the definition in Illinois of a town is 2,500 and below. Any place over that can call themselves a city. When Chicago incorporated as a city in 1837, it only had about 4,000 people.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 03-30-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Town is a pretty generic term. There are a handful of places that have their borders of "township" and municipality coterminous , like Cicero and Berwyn, but most everyone uses it to mean "incorporated place of any kind".

The style of governance usually goes along with "city" having a Mayor and Council while "villages" tend to have a President and Board of Trustees along with an appointed Village Manager...

The power of the appointed "operational government head" varies widely, put size is not the real factor -- legislative intent and liability are pretty clear distinction of who is the "implementet" vs "idea people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs