Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times

Advertisements

Zion has a lot of down to earth types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
What's all this "worry" about NT? Concerned your kid won't fit in because he doesn't have the right sort of high-end European SUV?
The worry is mostly reverse snobbery, but my kids went there and didn't do particularly well in the hyper-competitive academic atmosphere. I'm pretty sure they would have been in the top 10% in an average suburban high school.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Don't listen to Vlajos lol. If you don't mind a bit more distance from Chicago, I'd consider Lake Bluff & Libertyville as "chicagojlo" mentioned earlier in the thread.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
My cousin lives in Lake Bluff and his kids went to Lake Forest HS. It's my understanding that the LF kids look down on the LB kids (at least these 2) - until these kids started excelling at X Game type sports. Then suddenly they were cool.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
There is a thinking amongst local parents that Lake Bluff Middle School doesn't do as much to prepare kids for Lake Forest High School as the Lake Forest middle schools do. Perhaps this is filtering down to the kids too.

I recommended Lake Bluff because of the somewhat reduced snobbery among LB residents, but if you can handle Lake Forest it's a better deal, as property taxes are lower there too.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
"Muffy, should we buy the Bentley or the Maybach" "I don't know Thurston, the neighbors may look down on us if it's not a Bentley, but the Maybach is such a better value."

Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdo View Post
I have recently lived in Winnetka and was not very happy. For me there was too much homogeneity. I really wanted to make it work for my family as there was so much to offer, but I found myself venturing to Evanston all the time. Here is the dilemma I have two young children. I want some diversity, walkable, train to city and under 40 minute commute to North Chicago. Houses from 1920-30.
My current thoughts are: Wilmette (worried about NT and too much like Winnetka?) Evanston (worried about schools and frustration with taxes etc) and Arlington Heights (worried I will become bored)

I probably sound like a boar, but I liked the amenities of Winnetka, but would love something more down to earth. Maybe this is impossible. I just don't want to make the same mistakes. Any suggestions would be very welcomed.
I think that you meant to type "bore", although maybe boars sound like this

If the kids are happy enough, then perhaps you can get your Evanston "fix" on your own...

Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM

I think smdo meant boor.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
"Muffy, should we buy the Bentley or the Maybach" "I don't know Thurston, the neighbors may look down on us if it's not a Bentley, but the Maybach is such a better value."

The kids I was referring to a couple of posts above yours have a father who owns a small blue collar type business and my cousin (their dad) is very much not the typical North Shore parent. Their family has lived up north for a couple of generations but I could see them as being looked at as "trade" by snobs.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
More of a poke towards OP. I worked in Winnetka during college, and was friends with a few kids from Winnetka. Co-workers and co-students were very down to earth and approachable. Kids didn't get the new BMW on 16th birthday. Were taught manners, humbleness and work ethic by their parents. Majority of customers were also this way even though quite a few were very well off. I think it is the "old" money vs. "new" money mentality. Typically, "old" money is taught manners and at least some modesty; bragging or flaunting your money is considered poor manners and boorish behaviour. Of course there are those who will look at the car one drives, the watch one wears and the home one lives in and assume they are a snob who brags and flaunts their wealth.

The materialistic, keep up the Jonses, can be found in many areas. I shrug my shoulders at them and seek friendships with people who are like me and have similar values. Although not a majority, you will run into these types in Arlington Heights, Libertyville, Skokie, Buffalo Grove and many other suburbs. And across much of the country from reading other forum posts. So moving may help, but changing one's mental approach and circle of friends may be the true key to success with this "problem".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs