Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times

Advertisements

Seems this time of year water heaters conveniently start leaking or going bad. If I buy a replacement one at a Lowes or Home Depot and pay for their installation services, are they supposed to take care of any permits that may need to be pulled, etc.? They say on their website that they only used licensed professionals to do their installation jobs so just wondering if I have to do anything on my part as far as getting a permit (and a subsequent inspection after the installation), or they take care of it as part of their whole service (which they make it sound like they do if you look at their web page towards the bottom, for example below). Is there even a need for a permit to replace an old, broken water heater, in this case, Will county?

Hot Water Heater Installation, Repair & Replacement*at The Home Depot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
While I can't say will 100% certainty there is no town that requires a permit for replacing a water heater, the logistics of what is often a middle- of-the- night emergency call being held up by a need for some governmental oversight strikes me as totally impractical.

Even in towns where I owned a rental home that was subject to additional inspections I never had to get a permit to have . water heater installed...

Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Depends on the circumstances Chet. The OP probably has a single family and wouldn't run into what I did, but Elgin requires permits in my situation, which is a 3 flat with 1 owner occupied unit and 2 rentals apts. I imagine other towns may have similar ordinances. The rationale in Elgin seems to be it's ok to blow yourself up if you install your water heater incorrectly in your own home, but not if you have tenants. In an emergency, I am sure you can replace your water heater 1st and deal with the permit later.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Depends on the circumstances Chet. The OP probably has a single family and wouldn't run into what I did, but Elgin requires permits in my situation, which is a 3 flat with 1 owner occupied unit and 2 rentals apts. I imagine other towns may have similar ordinances. The rationale in Elgin seems to be it's ok to blow yourself up if you install your water heater incorrectly in your own home, but not if you have tenants. In an emergency, I am sure you can replace your water heater 1st and deal with the permit later.
Good point, I am in a single family home.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 PM

While we're on the subject, what about flooring? Getting new hardwood floors to replace carpeting, does that kind of work require a permit? I probably should post a separate thread and call my village to get answers, but I wanted to check here first.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 PM

217 posts, read 581,397 times
You should not need a permit to replace a water heater in your home or to do hardwood floors. Replacing a water heater is like getting any other new appliance in your home, no big deal. You are overthinking this. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs