Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 91,726 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just started working in oak park and really need to look for an apartment close by to my job. I currently live in Calumet City, IL. and it is extremely far for me to commute back and forth everyday.

I'm not familar with the area so I need some advice on where I can find an apartment that is not to expensive but yet not to ghetto either. I just want to feel safe and not have to be scared living by myself. I don't have to live in oak park, just somewhere close by!

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:16 PM

677 posts, read 4,211,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick View Post
Hello!

I just started working in oak park and really need to look for an apartment close by to my job. I currently live in Calumet City, IL. and it is extremely far for me to commute back and forth everyday.

I'm not familar with the area so I need some advice on where I can find an apartment that is not to expensive but yet not to ghetto either. I just want to feel safe and not have to be scared living by myself. I don't have to live in oak park, just somewhere close by!

Thanks for any advice!
I would look at Forest Park and Berwyn. They border Oak Park to the west and south and housing prices are lower. Almost anywhere is going to be safer than Calumet City, good lord.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:01 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
For new college grads, probably the most lively areas around Oak Park to live would be the downtown Oak Park neighborhood and northern Forest Park (around Madison St). Lots of apartments available in that area with studios and one bedrooms well under 1000/month.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 AM

198 posts, read 822,481 times
You might try the Oak Park Regional Housing Center. They are a non-profit group and offer free help with apartment searches. All the other suggestions you received are very good. I too would recommend the Madison street area of Forest Park for its younger vibe. Berwyn does have more affordable housing. Oak Park has such a great downtown - that would be my first choice. Plus you would be living where you work which would be such a nice relief after the commute you have endured. You might also try Riverside if you are not into the nightlife scene of Forest Park. While homes there are pricey, there are a few apartment buildings that haven't gone condo and even condos that people rent right in the downtown area. Oak Park and some of the surrounding towns have restrictions on overnight parking so if you see a great deal on an apartment and it doesn't have off-street parking, make sure you check to see if there is a village lot that has space nearby if you have a car (Oak Park is very pedestrian friendly and it is very easy to live there without a car). Good Luck!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Also check out the Berwyn Housing Center. This was just formed by the Oak Park Regional Housing Center and functions the same way.

About » Berwyn Housing Center

I lived in downtown Oak Park near North and Forest and it's definitely a great area. It's right next to the Metra and plenty to do. It's more boutiquey than lively though. Depending on the building and size, it can get pretty pricey over there. Madison St. in FP fits the "lively" bill, absolutely. I don't know what rents are like in that area though. Berwyn will give you good bang for the buck, and the Roosevelt Rd. area is starting to get some good stuff (FitzGeralds, Wishbone, martini bar, Friendly Tap, etc.).

Old 10-23-2007, 01:05 PM

79 posts, read 264,623 times
Berwyn has an abundance of housing furnished and unfurnished apartments 2 BR from the $500-$800 range nice area; but don't pay more than that!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:07 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx69 View Post
Don't is my advice. You will be thanking me for this advice deary.

I've lived in the area for 23 years...by and large its traditional middle class chicago. Oak Park is more established and has an incredible downtown, although pricier. An inordinate amount of restaurants and shopping, as well as 2 L lines and Metra access. Forest Park is already borderline "trendy", with lots of art galleries and the like, and Madison St. is a huge bar/restaurant area with younger people (i think theres literally over 20 bars within walking distance of each other). Berwyn I dont think has registered on most people's radars and to be honest if you're a recent grad, within the town itself theres probably not a whole lot to do. if you were looking to buy i would def rec it b/c the housing stock is pretty incredible and very affordable. but as far as renting i would prob skip.

None of these towns in and of themselves are "bad" by any stretch of the imagination as some people here would try and have you believe, but there are probably areas within them you may want to avoid: just like any other town. just do your homework and visit a few places and you'll be fine. All 3 of those cities are a mix of urban and suburban, and far more established than outlying suburbs. the tree canopy is by and large over 100 years old, the housing is diverse, you have easy access into the city by either expressway or train (as well as out to other suburbs), with plenty of stuff to do. def an underrated area.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:22 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Don't waste your breath. This poster has trashed Chicago, Lombard and even Elmhurst as being dumpy. I'd actually consider it a complement to be in such company! And I must respectfully offer a dissenting opinion as to there being nothing to do in Berwyn. There's plenty of cool places (FitzGeralds, Cigars and Stripes, Harlem Ave. Lounge, Lalo's, Sevilla's tapas, Olive or Twist, James Joyce, Garv's Inn, Voseky's Bakery, several top quality parks, bike routes, and a new theater opening soon near 16th and Oak Park). Plenty to do if you're looking for it. She may not be Madison or Lake St. just yet but she's coming along. Give it time.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:15 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Don't waste your breath. This poster has trashed Chicago, Lombard and even Elmhurst as being dumpy. I'd actually consider it a complement to be in such company! And I must respectfully offer a dissenting opinion as to there being nothing to do in Berwyn. There's plenty of cool places (FitzGeralds, Cigars and Stripes, Harlem Ave. Lounge, Lalo's, Sevilla's tapas, Olive or Twist, James Joyce, Garv's Inn, Voseky's Bakery, several top quality parks, bike routes, and a new theater opening soon near 16th and Oak Park). Plenty to do if you're looking for it. She may not be Madison or Lake St. just yet but she's coming along. Give it time.
I definitely wasnt trying to imply theres nothing to do. It just depends what you're looking for. All the places you listed are outstanding, but its not quite the same as say Oak Park where you could eat at a different restaurant every night of the week and not overlap for a month straight. Berwyn is definitely carving out its niche, and like you said it will take time.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:22 AM

14 posts, read 44,862 times
I guess this is one of those "glass half empty or half full" senarios! For me, I think Berwyn is a great location! So what if my downtown isn't quite as developed as Oak Park or River Forest? It will be, and I am only minutes away from both of those suburbs and all their eateries and misc establishments. My property cost less to buy and my taxes are cheaper, and I have all the perks of being just about as close to all those places as someone who lives there. Our park district rocks, and there is always something to do. There's 3 parks within walking distance of my house, and I can walk to North Riverside mall. My daughter is a teacher in Berwyn, and the school she is at is awesome. She's subbed at other schools in the area, and thinks they all are pretty well on the ball. Since she graduated from DePaul with highest honors in early education, I think we can assume she knows what she talks about. We bought 8 yrs ago, and my property value has already doubled. Every location has it's perks. We go to other places like Naperville for civil war stuff, and the Children's Museum. Who doesn't travel outside their area for things? Personally, I feel like we have a lot of perks with our location being so close to cool places to visit like Oak Park, Oakbrook, Riverside, and River Forest. When all is said and done, I come home to a beautiful house on a well kept street in a safe neighborhood that we can afford and still have money left over for such things. I used to live in Ukranian Village in Chicago. I won't go back for all the tea in China! I have made many great friends here, and it's a pretty friendly town as well. I know most of the people on my block by their names. That is really, really nice. I so agree that we do need to develop our 'downtown" area. That's a given. Once we do that, we can rival most suburbs in our state as far as I'm concerned. But for now, from where I sit, I can have my cake and eat it, too! I think Berwyn is an excellent location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs