Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 PM

474 posts, read 2,538,350 times

Advertisements

In reality, this subject is for everyone in the country. And since I don't know where to place it, I choose the Chicago Suburbs since many people read them. IF you are expecting to receive a firearms collection as family inheritance, then WATCH OUT ! The original owner ('Grandpa, for example) has to hold a current Illinois "FOID" card (Firearms Owner's Identification card). It is available from the Illinois State Police in Springfield, IL ($5 for a renewal).
So 'grandpa' has to have a FOID card and so do you as the estate firearms collection recipient. IF you don't have these people with FOID cards, then the attorney, local sheriff or some other municipal 'officer' will confiscate your collection and most likely steal it. You won't get a dime from that collection and it will just disappear. Either by being sold by some municipal officer or into his private collection. So make sure that 'Gramps' and you are registered with a FOID card.
In my own family, I hold both an Illinois FOID card and a Federal Firearms License. A dealer's FFL costs around $500. However, a collector's FFL is only around $30.
So be very careful to be 'set up' with the proper licenses before that estate goes to a local attorney.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 03:36 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
I do not think that lack of a FOIA results in confiscation. I received as a gift a shotgun so old it didn't even have a serial number! (pre-JFK assassination). I registered it in the city with no problem. Actually, the police explained to me why there was no serial number on it. Since the original owner died in '64 out of state, he had no such card.

Although I am anti-NRA, I can tell you that it maintains an excellent listing of state firearms rules for reference.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:16 AM

Default Maybe 'yes', Maybe 'no'

A while back, I ran into a man and such a thing had happened to him. So it just depends upon where you are located and whether you have honest or dishonest people in your municipality. After all, it is the same idea that police can confiscate your expensive cars, boats, houses if you are a drug dealer. This is what happens in the larger cities and elsewhere too.
My purpose is for a 'caveat' and I have done that through my thread. Whether people agree or not is up to 'them'. However, in my own view point, I would not want to take the chance if I owned a $10,000 gun collection. And some do since a single gun can cost around $2,000. So having cheap insurance with BOTH people each having a FOID card ($5 each card) is very cheap insurance regarding this manner.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Yes, even though I don't shoot guns very often. Husband has me have a FOID card that is current all the time. In case something happens in which he passes. He wants me to be able to keep them, or be able to sell them legally or pass them on, whatever I need to do. You never know what bills could be passed without knowledge that can hold loopholes. Although DH is an NRA member and keeps pretty up to date with gun laws.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Thank You Gardener For Sharing Your Inputs

So let's take it one step further. Suppose 'you' have an terminally ill relative with a very expensive gun collection. If 'Grandpa' can still sign his signature, the apply for an Illinois FOID card. At the same time, 'you' also apply for a FOID card yourself. However, you keep both of those cards in your own possession. After Grandfather has passed away, then take those firearms - - on at a time to a nearby gun shop. But also include your own FOID card, leaving Grandpa's card at home in a safe place. In visiting a local gun shop with your firearm, the gun MUST be unloaded. And it MUST be in a carrying case. Show the gun shop owner what you have and ask him if he wants to buy it and at what price? However, keep in mind that he wants to buy the gun at a 'steal' price. And obviously, you want to get the most. So don't sell the gun to that dealer. If after several gun shop visits, with dealers not willing to pay a fair price, then visit your local library for a gun reference catalog. Some have 'buy' prices and also 'sell' prices. With that knowledge, take the gun back to your favorite shop and tell him that you want a fair price if he is interested in buying it.
Somewhere out there, SOMEBODY owns Al Capone's hand gun. Maybe that person knows it, and maybe not. But a gun shop owner might recognize it for Al's gun. IF that is the case, such gun dealer might offer you $5K for the gun when in reality he knows that he can sell it for $150K. So do your homework very carefully. That's because you have now shown people that you own a gun collection. And SOMETIMES a dealer might report to the police that you have such gun collection but have not shown your FOID card to him.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Default A P.s. Or Two

Here is a p.s. to my above thread(s). Under NO circumstances are you to sell ANY firearm to a minor (under age children) or someone who does NOT have an Illinois FOID card. That's because it is a felony to do so even though it might be done out of ignorance. So before you even show that gun to a neighbor or relative, ask him / her to see your Illinois FOID card.
So, let's say that your state does not require a firearm's registration card. In that case - - as I mentioned in my 'op' - - obtain a Federal Firearms License as a gun collector. From memory, that FFL license class is an '03'. However, to be sure I would have to take a look at my own FFL license and right now it is locked up in my vault box. So someone living out in the 'sticks' (maybe a desert town in Arizona) would then have their own FFL license as a gun collector. And that would be a very needed overkill in the event that the local constable wanted to confiscate your gun collection.
Please excuse all of my P.S. modes. That's because I write very quickly before I get kicked off our local ISP due to the huge number of people on our Wheaton, IL ISP.

Carter Glass

Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,193 times
I have just recieved my Foid card in the mail and I am looking to get a FFL how do I go about obtaining that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs