Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:06 AM

38 posts, read 108,851 times

Advertisements

I am going to be working in Aurora and I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to these 3 area's. I have 2 children in elementary school, the schools are the most important factor in where I will live. I will be buying a house and plan on spending around 200k. I have heard decent things about all 3 but I wanted to stop by here and see what you all thought! Can any one offer information on the Concealed Carry situation in Illinois?

Cliffs
-Working in Aurora
-Where are the best elementary schools?
-Are property taxes high in all 3 areas?
-CC Laws...what are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM

369 posts, read 760,165 times
Naperville schools are generally considered better than Kaneland (the district serving Elburn and parts of Sugar Grove). You definitely want to avoid the parts of Sugar Grove that go to West Aurora schools. Your housing dollar will go much farther in Elburn or Sugar Grove, but those areas are more rural too. Your commute won't be a problem but you'll have to travel farther for shopping and activities than if you live in Naperville, unless outdoorsy activities are your thing. There are some great forest preserves and nature areas out toward Elburn.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Great, thanks for the info! I will continue to research and ask more questions as they come. I hope to come for an extended visit soon to get a feel for the area. It seems the housing market still has not turned around much so there is a good chance I may find a good deal on some property as well.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:18 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Look at Oswego/Yorkville when you're here.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
all are decent areas. i would say sugargrove and elburn pretty similar, naperville is the one which is the most different from those two. naperville has more going on, better schools although the areas you mentioned are still good. naperville is going to have more shopping, better access to trains downtown and expressways. elburn and sugargrove are a bit further out, slower paced a bit less going on.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 12,969 times
Naperville certainly has a lot more going on but housing is really pricey. Schools are excellent but there is a lot of money in Naperville and that can affect some personalities IMO (I moved away from there due to that)
Sugar Grove and Elburn not your best bet with regard to schools. definitely more rural settings there with subdivisions built into the corn fields.
Agree with previous poster that you should check out Oswego. I live in Yorkville and things are decent here but Oswego a bit nicer.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 11,656 times
Forget Sugar Grove look towards Naperville.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
$200k won't go far in Naperville.

Honestly without more info about what the OP likes about Elburn or Sugargove I don't really understand why they have "narrowed things down" to those towns. Personally with a budget that maxes out at $200k I would be looking at every listing in the widest area possible -- Plano, Sandwich, Somonauk, Hinkely...

ALSO someone unthread seemed to suggest West Aurora was less desirable, based on what? All things considerd at the OP's price point they need to be realistic and frankly I would rather stable area with nice neigbors that is served by decent schools with fair taxes than someplace where all the neighbors are in foreclosure and taxes are off the charts...

Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 AM

369 posts, read 760,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Honestly without more info about what the OP likes about Elburn or Sugargove I don't really understand why they have "narrowed things down" to those towns. Personally with a budget that maxes out at $200k I would be looking at every listing in the widest area possible -- Plano, Sandwich, Somonauk, Hinkely...

ALSO someone unthread seemed to suggest West Aurora was less desirable, based on what? All things considerd at the OP's price point they need to be realistic and frankly I would rather stable area with nice neigbors that is served by decent schools with fair taxes than someplace where all the neighbors are in foreclosure and taxes are off the charts...
I said that the school district should be avoided, based on the experience of a friend of mine who just moved out of that district. The teachers were having to spend so much time catching up the kids who barely speak English that her kids fell through the cracks. This is in addition to the test scores. I'm not the kind of person who believes test scores are the ultimate indicator of school quality, but when scores are as low as West Aurora's, I certainly wouldn't send my kids there.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

200k is not the budget, with the housing market in such terrible condition in IL I am hoping to find something for that price, if the market gets better I can spend much more.
I was told Elburn had a train that went downtown, I have also heard good things from people who live there.
I have friends in Naperville that grew up there and have nothing but good things to say about it, however coming from lots of small-med sized Midwest towns I think I might get overwhelmed.

Sugar Grove was mentioned by a few people as well, I really know nothing about it.

My ideal setting would be a newer home in the country, with a few acres of land, that sits in a good school district. I would like to have access to parks and such, but I also spend a lot of time in my garage restoring old mopars, so having extra buildings/garage space is huge for me as well. I will look into the other places suggested, all of this is very good info and I appreciate all of your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs