Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

OK but the 4x4 model still only gets 20 mpg! What exactly is the point of spending $50+ (and that's not for the 4x4 version) on a car that gets less than 20 miles to the gallon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,522 times
Default Thank you all

Thanks people for the information. That feedback was very helpful. I was talking to few folks and they gave the same options. Driving from areas off I294 seems to be a workable solution. Have to deal with the IDOT construction on I 294 north. Is it too bad once you cross the
But how is the commute by train (Metra) from downtown to Lincolnshire (Lake Forest). Driving to Lincolnshire from Downtown is definitely a NO NO option. Well, it seems it will be an hour train journey but from Home to Office doorstep will be 90 minutes easy. And in addition, the living expenses are more in the city. I am inclining towards I294. Hope I am heading in the "right direction". Thanks again guys.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM

216 posts, read 723,922 times
I would look along 294 also. From Burr Ridge (not sure if rentals there) or Westmont up to Elmhurst and on up a little further to Des Plaines. You will find rent more reasonable than the city. Open tolling is helping ease the backups on 294. I have driven in the snow here for 15 years and never needed a huge vehicle. I have had great luck with a front wheel drive or smaller suv's with 4 wheel-drive. Like someone said, there are only a few horrible snow storms a year. If it is that bad along 80-94 from Indiana, you could opt to stay over a night at a hotel on those nights. Sometimes 80-94 does get completely shut down due to lake-effect snow. Your wife will probably always make it home o.k., but it may take awhile. Best of luck.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
The reason I suggested a larger SUV, is because to some people, gas costs don't really matter to them, however what certain individuals FAILED to notice is that I not only recommended a large SUV (suburban, expedition), but also listed numerous smaller ones.

Like I stated yesterday, I have a AWD Lexus SUV and it handles great in the snow. The vehicle is equipted with an electronic snow skid protection so the vehicle won't slip in the snow. Now Lexus came out with the Hybrid model SUVs a year or two ago of which I do not have , but I have to admit that if you can afford one ($43K), they are by far one of the best vehicles for the Chicago area. They ride great on our crappy pothole filled roads, can handle all types of weather, get decent fuel mileage, and last a long long long time, not to mention the rather posh feel to the whole car in general.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:07 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
I worked in East Chicago while living in Hyde Park (#3 Sheet Mill, J&L!). On a nice day I could see my job site from my apartment. And vice versa. The commute was real easy down Lake Shore Drive and route 41. Hyde Park is accessible to the downtown for your wife to take Metra out to the burbs. But, remember, there is really no rapid trans to East Chicago industry from anywhere.

My only problem with vehicles was convincing my fellow workers that I was driving a US-made car.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:16 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I worked in East Chicago while living in Hyde Park (#3 Sheet Mill, J&L!). On a nice day I could see my job site from my apartment. And vice versa. The commute was real easy down Lake Shore Drive and route 41. Hyde Park is accessible to the downtown for your wife to take Metra out to the burbs. But, remember, there is really no rapid trans to East Chicago industry from anywhere.

My only problem with vehicles was convincing my fellow workers that I was driving a US-made car.
I suppose they were the same dip $#!ts that would go and say that Ford and GM are made all in America when most of the parts in the cars are made in either Canada or Mexico and even China and then in the next breath they would critize someone for driving a Toyota which is made right in Tennessee as my old Camry said right on the sticker on the side of the door, or Mitsubishi which is made right in Bloomington Normal, or Honda which is made right in Ohio.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Here's one problem with the lack of a south suburban presence on this board. Everyone's talking about the minor widening project going on near O'hare on the Tri-State (which, incidentally, is the responsibility of the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority, not IDOT.) Nobody has bothered to mention that you have to take the Tri-State to get to East Chicago, there is no other reasonable alternate. Also not mentioned is that the south end of the Tri-State will be widened over the next two years, from 95th St. to I-80. This year they were only doing preliminary work , and traffic slowed to a crawl before the Stevenson. When they actually begin tearing it up next year, traffic will be at a standstill almost to the Wisconsin border. If you live in the west suburbs, be prepared for a minimum 4 hour round trip commute to East Chicago. Unfortunately, there is no where you can live that won't then mean a 4 hour commute to Lincolnshire. Honestly, one of you should think of finding a new job. Finding somewhere to live that's a reasonable commute to each location is going to be impossible.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Here's one problem with the lack of a south suburban presence on this board. Everyone's talking about the minor widening project going on near O'hare on the Tri-State (which, incidentally, is the responsibility of the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority, not IDOT.) Nobody has bothered to mention that you have to take the Tri-State to get to East Chicago, there is no other reasonable alternate. Also not mentioned is that the south end of the Tri-State will be widened over the next two years, from 95th St. to I-80. This year they were only doing preliminary work , and traffic slowed to a crawl before the Stevenson. When they actually begin tearing it up next year, traffic will be at a standstill almost to the Wisconsin border. If you live in the west suburbs, be prepared for a minimum 4 hour round trip commute to East Chicago. Unfortunately, there is no where you can live that won't then mean a 4 hour commute to Lincolnshire. Honestly, one of you should think of finding a new job. Finding somewhere to live that's a reasonable commute to each location is going to be impossible.
What he said. My first instinct when I saw the "me: East Chicago, her: Lincolnshire" split commute was "one of you needs to find a different job," because I promise that's what will happen sooner or later. If one of you doesn't do it now, then one or both of you will have absolutely had it with the commute within a few months.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 AM

677 posts, read 4,211,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Here's one problem with the lack of a south suburban presence on this board. Everyone's talking about the minor widening project going on near O'hare on the Tri-State (which, incidentally, is the responsibility of the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority, not IDOT.)
Minor?! 32 miles of highway is being rebuilt and widened. Maybe if your commute was two to three times longer because of it such that you have to quit a job you love and find a new one closer to home, you wouldn't think it was so minor.

That being said, I agree from my own experience that living somewhere in between isn't going to work. I work in Lincolnshire and I live in Western Springs, which is right off of I-294. Unless you enjoy living in your car, save yourself the frustration and find a new job now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs