Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 PM

610 posts, read 2,730,266 times

Advertisements

I'm at my wits end with my headaches I've had MRI's done, given various meds and nothings works. I went to a chiropractor and that gave me temporary relief. Has anyone had success with a doctor, treatment, etc... I was thinking of going to the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago. I suffer from chronic tension and cluster headaches. The last batch has lasted a week. Any suggestions/referrals would be appreciated. I live in the western burbs but I'm willing to travel! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
I don't have any doctor suggestions, but I have been getting headaches ALL week right before bedtime. i'm pretty sure it's the weather. I think I'm allergic to everything outside. Maybe you have problems with allergies/sinus too?

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:42 PM

Supernerdgirl, thanks for the idea. I had allergy testing done and I take meds when allergy season hits. I still get these unimaginable headaches. I have the traditional cluster headache pain which feels like an ice pick going into your eye socket. The pain then radiates to the side of my head to the point where I don't want to drive. The pain is always on one side of my head. Occassionally I get the typical migraine auras that affect my sight. These are not as common however. I was thinking about acupuncture since I've read that it can help headache sufferers. I have a high tolerance for pain but after so many years you can only take so much.

Thanks again for any insight or referrals. I just have not found the right Dr. or treatment yet.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:27 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,131 times
I'm SURE you have tried this, but just on the outside chance....sinus headache medicine. The kind that doesn't cause drowsiness. The kind you now need a driver's license to purchase up at the prescription counter.

I used to get awful headaches that didn't respond to ANYTHING. Now I keep a supply of this stuff everywhere-- car, work, home-- just in case one hits.

It's probably a long shot that you haven't tried it, but considering the time of year, it seemed worth a shot.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
I'm SURE you have tried this, but just on the outside chance....sinus headache medicine. The kind that doesn't cause drowsiness. The kind you now need a driver's license to purchase up at the prescription counter.

I used to get awful headaches that didn't respond to ANYTHING. Now I keep a supply of this stuff everywhere-- car, work, home-- just in case one hits.

It's probably a long shot that you haven't tried it, but considering the time of year, it seemed worth a shot.
I constantly have sinus problems and managed to quit taking the sudafed (I still take allergy medication), when i walked into jewel one day and found this: NeilMed Pharmaceuticals, Makers of Sinus Rinse, NasaFlo Netipot, Nasal Irrigation

Yes, I realize the idea of squeezing water up your nose is kind of gross, but it works. I flew home for Christmas and ALWAYS get a sinus infection. After using that stuff twice the infection was cleared up. Craziness.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the input! Yes, I have tried the sinus headache stuff, every brand. I have had prescription meds and they don't work either. I have eliminated caffeine and I exercise. I've learned to live with constant head pain but just don't think this is normal. Again, thanks for the advice. The only thing I have not done is accupuncture. The idea is a little creepy but I hear it works for many people.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:28 PM

73 posts, read 365,770 times
I came across your post by doing a search. I too suffer from cluster headaches. I don't think anyone can quite understand what a horrible condition this is unless they actually have it. I have had these headaches off and on for more than 20 years.

I don't know how long you have had them but they run in cycles. I am currently in a cycle that has been going on for about 5 weeks now. I have a wonderful neurologist and am taking topamax daily and imitrex injections at the onset of a headache.

When I first started getting them 20 years ago, I rarely went more than a few weeks in between headaches but recently I was headache free for nearly five years. So there is hope.

I can try to help from my experience if you have any questions. It is so excrutiatingly painful and mine have gotten worse over the years. Find youself a good neurologist and stick with him/her.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,650,631 times
irishsettergirl, I periodically suffer from horrible headaches and utilize the chiropractor. He is in aurora. they also have a couple of massage therapists on staff and I have had great response with this. I also do a couple of strange things at home..I really like to use vicks! i rub it on my neck, massage in into my forehead, whatever. it really helps.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Paging Dr. Advil. Dr. Advil please come to the front desk. Paging Dr. Advil.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM

Man, I wish Advil did the trick. Thank you FLtoVA and SGresident. Cluster headaches are so hard to explain. For me it feels like a constant "brain freeze" behind my eye and then my head gets hot. I did find relief from one chiro. but she was forced back to Canada by the US (she had so many unhappy patients). I've skipped from one chiro to another, none have done the trick like she did. I will search for a good neurologist, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to check them out. FLtoVA, have you ever done oxygen treatments for your clusters? A website that I follow (dedicated to "cluster-heads") often has people who swear by it and it is often covered by insurance. I didn't find much relief from imitrex but perhaps I need it along with something else. My SIL actually takes an anti-depressant and imitrex to reduce her headaches, she says it works. I'm really trying to find a drug-free method to reduce the pain but my cluster cycles are getting longer and longer.

Thanks for all the suggestions/support. There is nothing worse than chronic head pain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs