Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:10 PM

79 posts, read 536,555 times

Advertisements

What do you people think about chicago hosting the olympics and how much tourist could it possibly draw? How good do you think it will be for chicago's economy? I think it was be crazy. Assuming chicago has about 3-3.5 million people at 2016. the olympics could attract 5-6 million people. it will turn into new york for six months. I think the olympics might be a good way to advertise the city. I don't think many people outside The united states know about chicago. Its mainly new york and sometimes L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Just what we need....more traffic.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
It isn't likely to happen that we'll win. And if we do, how the hell are we supposed to handle that many people?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It isn't likely to happen that we'll win.
Why do you say that?

Old 12-16-2007, 09:11 PM

646 posts, read 813,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
What do you people think about chicago hosting the olympics and how much tourist could it possibly draw? How good do you think it will be for chicago's economy? I think it was be crazy. Assuming chicago has about 3-3.5 million people at 2016. the olympics could attract 5-6 million people. it will turn into new york for six months. I think the olympics might be a good way to advertise the city. I don't think many people outside The united states know about chicago. Its mainly new york and sometimes L.A.
New York's never hosted the Olympics, they always lose the bid. So it won't turn into NY. However, hosting it would certainly boost local economies for obvious reasons.

Chicago based United Airlines has already applied for new routes to Moscow and waiting for moves from Putin. Russia pulled the plugs on air routes a few years back by violating international agreements leaving United cold for expanding service in Russia and some Baltic cities and expanded CIS (Russian Federation), especially that were planning to offer direct or non-stop service and were US based. Before the Russian games in Sochi that will be next, this would reestablish some important routes between the US and Russia.

United is very important to Chicago. It definitely wants the games and to be able to service the city internationally from more places.

Waiting to see because other airlines are trying to form and United has once again filed with the DOT and FAA, as a US one along with others for more Russian Federation service.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:23 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
I'm not worried at all about the number of people. Looking at what is already in place in terms of our size, infrastructure, and transportation compared to cities like Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney, and Athens Chicago is very well prepared to handle it. Everything will be crazy for a couple weeks, but smaller cities with less infrastructure have handled it fine. Economically it will be a boon for the city. It will help to push through federal funding for work on a lot of projects - especially the CTA, O'Hare/Midway, Amtrack, and roads. There would be obvious support from Democrats and Dennis Hastert has signed on to help push the bid and lobby for federal funding for projects.

These facts, combined with the strength of the bid proposal, has made Chicago the favorite to win the bid on a number of betting sites. Rio has a good shot as well, but at this point it is pretty much between Rio and Chicago.

I agree that Chicago is not as well known as NY and LA, and that is why there is the potential for getting a real benefit out of hosting the Olympics. Barcelona used to be a regional vacation destination, but was not known at the international level. Chicago is the same way - if done right the Olympics could be a great marketing opportunity for Chicago. A lot of of things seem to be falling in place for this to happen, just think what will happen to Chicago if over the next 5 years we see the completion of the Spire, being named host for 2016, and possibly a President Obama. The key is making sure that it is done right, and so far it has been.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:44 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I'm not worried at all about the number of people. Looking at what is already in place in terms of our size, infrastructure, and transportation compared to cities like Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney, and Athens Chicago is very well prepared to handle it. Everything will be crazy for a couple weeks, but smaller cities with less infrastructure have handled it fine. Economically it will be a boon for the city. It will help to push through federal funding for work on a lot of projects - especially the CTA, O'Hare/Midway, Amtrack, and roads. There would be obvious support from Democrats and Dennis Hastert has signed on to help push the bid and lobby for federal funding for projects.

These facts, combined with the strength of the bid proposal, has made Chicago the favorite to win the bid on a number of betting sites. Rio has a good shot as well, but at this point it is pretty much between Rio and Chicago.

I agree that Chicago is not as well known as NY and LA, and that is why there is the potential for getting a real benefit out of hosting the Olympics. Barcelona used to be a regional vacation destination, but was not known at the international level. Chicago is the same way - if done right the Olympics could be a great marketing opportunity for Chicago. A lot of of things seem to be falling in place for this to happen, just think what will happen to Chicago if over the next 5 years we see the completion of the Spire, being named host for 2016, and possibly a President Obama. The key is making sure that it is done right, and so far it has been.
The Olympics might be a great thing for Chicago as long as the city can accommodate that many visitors.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
The Olympics might be a great thing for Chicago as long as the city can accommodate that many visitors.
I cant find the numbers offhand, but Im fairly certain Chicago's hotel capacity is second only to NY, with a ton of rooms coming online in the next few years.

Last edited by via chicago; 12-17-2007 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 07:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
As a visitor to the Atlanta Olympics -- I have to say I saw nothing of REAL Atlanta when I was down there -- only the "Olympics Atlanta". I think that's pretty typical. Maybe it will raise our profile internationally, but I doubt it will have a long-term tourism boost from other Americans.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
As a visitor to the Atlanta Olympics -- I have to say I saw nothing of REAL Atlanta when I was down there -- only the "Olympics Atlanta". I think that's pretty typical. Maybe it will raise our profile internationally, but I doubt it will have a long-term tourism boost from other Americans.
Oh, no doubt its the city they want you to see. But thats really no different from the typical experience most people have when they visit other places...they hit up all the "touristy" spots, but probably dont take the time to venture off into the neighborhoods. The oppprtunity is there for you to expand your experience, you just have to take it and get out of what has been manufactured. Now Chicago may be somewhat different in its design because many of the venues actually are located either in the downtown or surrounding areas..and the Olympic Stadium would be in the Washington Park/Bronzeville neighborhood. So I think people would definitely be exposed more to the "real" Chicago than other Olympic cities, where venues are sprawled miles and miles away from each other.

In terms of attracting more long term tourism..I think we are already getting to that point. Millennium Park was huge in attracting more international attention. Walk around downtown on a summer day and just look at the tourists..theres a plethora of languages being spoken. Most are on their first visit. And most walk away incredibly impressed and go back home and talk up their experience. However, the typical images conjured up by most people internationally is still Michael Jordan/Al Capone/Stockyards. The renaissance the city has been undergoing for the past 10 years hasnt entered into the international consciousness. The Olympics would be a unparalleled opportunity to broadcast that makeover. Because thats essentially what the Olmpics are: a 2 week advertisement to the entire world.

Also, there are some inherent differences between Atlanta and Chicago. Atlanta is a U.S. regional hub. Chicago is a player on the international stage, and pretty much has been since its inception. A list containing Atlanta I would say includes cities like Denver, Miami, Phoenix, etc. While Chicago is in the same breath as New York, LA, London, Paris, etc. Chicago wont be hurt if it dosent land the Olympics..life will go on and development will continue to take place regardless. For a city the size and stature of Atlanta, a lot more is at stake in landing the games (as a side note, its probably the last time we will see an Atlants get the games. I think I read somewhere the IOC is trying to move away from these regional hubs and focus more on the true big players as host cities).

Last edited by via chicago; 12-17-2007 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs