Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM

306 posts, read 480,675 times

Advertisements

I live out in Geneva, but have friends all over Chicagoland and many in Naperville. I know many on here have a lot more info on Chicago suburbs, but correct me if I am wrong, but is there any suburb with as much economic activity as Naperville?

I don't mean housing development, but business development/restaurant/retail/hotel. Right off I-88 and Naper by Mortons, Maggianos etc looks like a big hotel, more restaraunts, an I Fly.

The downtown area(which in my opinion is already the best downtown in Chicagoland) is growing both north and south of the completed area. The north Promenade is almost complete and I believe they are to break ground this year or next year south of the river by the walgreens area on building up the riverwalk area with a fancy hotel and more restaurants.

Now a negative I read is that Office Max is moving its headquarters to Florida(don't know what is going to go on with that building) and don't know if Nicor is moving or they are just changing the color of the budling(the name has been removed by 59, I-88)

Anyways, you have to give credit where credit is due, Naperville has good schools, parks, park district, library district, downtown, train access and continues to grow.

Are any other suburbs growing like this in regards to economic activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,347,299 times
Appears as though there has been a pick up in economic activity throughout the Western suburbs. Especially, it seems, in the towns served by Metra that also have developed or developing downtown districts. In downtown Wheaton, a new-build grocery store, a new-build medical office, and a 306-unit luxury apt building have all been completed in roughly the last six months. Construction is underway on a couple new condo developments, as well as parks and a permanent French market structure, and there has been a large number of independent businesses that have opened their doors recently. I've also read that plans have been approved to redevelop some of the "dead zones" along Roosevelt Road. Plenty still in the pipeline.

I've seen/read about similar such development/new biz in neighboring Glen Ellyn, as well as a few other Western burbs.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times
Downtown St. Charles is another worthy mention... lots of recently-developed land being gobbled up downtown.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:44 PM

306 posts, read 480,675 times
St. Charles is right next to me. They did a nice job on the 1st street project phase 1. It blends in well with the building on 64. The lot next to Za Za's has been vacant for quite a long time. The Arcada Theatre has put on some amazing showing the last few years
Here is an article I found, a little dated, so things may have changed. Also I know they have changes in plan for the Charlestown Mall which has turned into a movie theatre ghost town mall
St. Charles considers revised First Street plan - Chicago Tribune

Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,347,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
St. Charles is right next to me. They did a nice job on the 1st street project phase 1. It blends in well with the building on 64. The lot next to Za Za's has been vacant for quite a long time. The Arcada Theatre has put on some amazing showing the last few years
Here is an article I found, a little dated, so things may have changed. Also I know they have changes in plan for the Charlestown Mall which has turned into a movie theatre ghost town mall
I really hope they bury those plans for Charlestown Mall. Or at least that the city stays out. Totally wrong direction. I haven't read the most recent on the subject, but that's just not money well spent.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,254,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
We stopped in that mall as we happened to be passing by and I was looking for something for the kids to do. My phone said there was a minigolf place in there. Anyway, it was super freaky walking around there. Basically the Von Maur and a bunch of empty store fronts.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,951,604 times
Once a suburb has gotten on a "national radar screen" by being on all of the "best of" lists, everyone and their uncle wants to have a presence there even if they don't have a clue what Naperville is like. The same thing happened to Oak Brook in its hey day and is still happening. All the chains, all the restaurants, hotels, etc. want to be "in Naperville". It will continue to attract a lot of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs