Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 17,223 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm planning to move from Crown Point IN to Orland Park IL. In your opinion (specially if you leave in Orland Park IL) will this be a good idea?
I like certain things from Crown Point but I can't stand its health/medical system. So mediocre. I'm sorry if I hurt any feelings. I don't trust Drs. here and I have a special medical situation with one of my sons. I really need a very good Dr. or hospital close to me. I'll be willing to pay higher taxes if I have a higher quality life in IL. That is the question. How good will be IL for us. It is worth it to pay higher taxes and being closer to Chicago?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,087,284 times
I think the quality of life is pretty good in Orland Park and the Chicago area, but not good enough to match the extremely high taxes. Also, home prices in IL are much more expensive, so that's something to think about too. What's your price range for a house?

Have you had mediocre experiences with many hospitals or doctors in the area or just one or two? Are you not happy with the medical services in and around Crown Point or in all of NWI? If it's just around Crown Point, then maybe you can move somewhere else in NWI.

Also, why Orland Park? I like Orland Park a lot, but I'm just wondering if it's because there's a doctor that you really like is there or if you just like the area? If health services are very important to you, which it seems like it is, I would research doctors and hospitals and move wherever seems to have the best doctors and hospital.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,994,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I think the quality of life is pretty good in Orland Park and the Chicago area, but not good enough to match the extremely high taxes. Also, home prices in IL are much more expensive, so that's something to think about too. What's your price range for a house?

Have you had mediocre experiences with many hospitals or doctors in the area or just one or two? Are you not happy with the medical services in and around Crown Point or in all of NWI? If it's just around Crown Point, then maybe you can move somewhere else in NWI.

Also, why Orland Park? I like Orland Park a lot, but I'm just wondering if it's because there's a doctor that you really like is there or if you just like the area? If health services are very important to you, which it seems like it is, I would research doctors and hospitals and move wherever seems to have the best doctors and hospital.
I wonder the same things.

Personally, if I had a job where living in northwest Indiana made sense there's no way I'd move to Illinois right now. This state is in a huge financial mess. Is there a reason you couldn't use a doctor in Illinois while continuing to live in Indiana?

Old 07-10-2015, 06:14 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,188,498 times
look in Oak Lawn. Christ Hospital is a major medical center, and every available space in Oak Lawn is being filled with new medical buildings. It is by far the top town for medical needs in the south suburbs.

Last edited by prairiestate; 07-10-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 06:40 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,188,498 times
Well, Orland Park doesn't have a hospital. Why exactly did you pick that town? If you need to be close to Indiana, and you need top of the line medical care, look in Oak Lawn. Christ Hospital is a major medical center, and every available space in Oak Lawn is being filled with new medical buildings. It is by far the top town for medical needs in the south suburbs.

Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, IL - US News Best Hospitals

Christ Medical Center Ranked Among Top Hospitals--Again Oak Lawn, Illinois (IL) - Advocate Christ Medical Center

Chicago Mag ranked Christ #4, and it's top hospital in the suburbs.

Top Hospitals in Chicago and the Suburbs

Old 07-13-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post

Answering your questions:
1.- My price range for a house would be from $400,000 to $450,000

2.- I have had mediocre medical experiences several times here. I have been living here for 3 years and saw at least 6 different Drs. for different circumstances and all of them were not knowledgeable and diligent. The last horrible experience we had was with one of my kids when we took him to the closest hospital with an appendicitis. Of course we didn't know what he had. They applied morphine for the pain, performed all exams and the final diagnosis was a VIRUS. He was sent home and of course the appendicitis became a generalized peritonitis. My son almost died. We took him to the University's Children Hospital of Chicago where they saved his life. He had surgery and stayed several days in the Intensive Care Unit. In Chicago they said that even not knowing what he had, they should not sent him home, specially after being applied morphine for his severe pain.
That bad experience is just ONE OF MANY I had here with Drs. so enough is enough.

3.- I like Orland Park because its what I know because I have friends living there and they like it a lot. They recommend that area. I also like Orland Park because is a developed suburb of Chicago. It looks like you have everything you need in the same area. We need to be in close proximity to Whiting IN and the city of Chicago which is where our jobs are.

Thank You so much for all your responses

Old 07-13-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu873 View Post
Answering your questions:
1.- My price range for a house would be from $400,000 to $450,000

2.- I have had mediocre medical experiences several times here. I have been living here for 3 years and saw at least 6 different Drs. for different circumstances and all of them were not knowledgeable and diligent. The last horrible experience we had was with one of my kids when we took him to the closest hospital with an appendicitis. Of course we didn't know what he had. They applied morphine for the pain, performed all exams and the final diagnosis was a VIRUS. He was sent home and of course the appendicitis became a generalized peritonitis. My son almost died. We took him to the University's Children Hospital of Chicago where they saved his life. He had surgery and stayed several days in the Intensive Care Unit. In Chicago they said that even not knowing what he had, they should not sent him home, specially after being applied morphine for his severe pain.
That bad experience is just ONE OF MANY I had here with Drs. so enough is enough.

3.- I like Orland Park because its what I know because I have friends living there and they like it a lot. They recommend that area. I also like Orland Park because is a developed suburb of Chicago. It looks like you have everything you need in the same area. We need to be in close proximity to Whiting IN and the city of Chicago which is where our jobs are.

Thank You so much for all your responses
Then I think moving to Illinois will be better for you. You will definitely find a nice house in Orland Park and the South/SW suburbs and they are some very good hospitals in the Chicago area. Are schools a concern?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 PM

Yes! I need a good school district for my children. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2015, 01:27 PM

141 posts, read 217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu873 View Post
Hi!
I'm planning to move from Crown Point IN to Orland Park IL. In your opinion (specially if you leave in Orland Park IL) will this be a good idea?
I like certain things from Crown Point but I can't stand its health/medical system. So mediocre. I'm sorry if I hurt any feelings. I don't trust Drs. here and I have a special medical situation with one of my sons. I really need a very good Dr. or hospital close to me. I'll be willing to pay higher taxes if I have a higher quality life in IL. That is the question. How good will be IL for us. It is worth it to pay higher taxes and being closer to Chicago?

Thanks!!!
I live in Crown Point, and I frequent Orland Park so I can give you some advice.

Taxes are going to be ALOT more in Orland. At least 3x more for property taxes, Sales tax is (soon to be) 10.75% vs. 7%, although income taxes end up being a little bit less, 3.5% vs. about 5% in Indiana including county taxes.

The commute honestly is not going to be much different to downtown. I commute to downtown Chicago from Crown Point and it is about 1hr 20 minutes each way on the train. Orland Park is going to be the same, or even longer.

I agree with you on the quality of medical care in Northwest Indiana. It feel that for major issues you need to travel to the city for really good quality medical care. Other than that, I don't know if the quality of life in Orland Park is that much better than Crown Point to account for the taxes, but it depends on what you consider a good quality of life.

State politics and services are quite different between IN and IL Sure, IN has a surplus, but they also spend very little and like to privatize everything. Illinois might be in a financial mess, but I feel they also take care of their residents and infrastructure wayyy better than Indiana does.

Personally, if I could afford it I would pick Orland Park over Crown Point, however I don't feel that Crown Point is a bad place at all, and does have some good qualities.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:57 PM

Orland Park schools are good. The schools are k-2 then 3-5 which is different from most school districts, and Sandburg High School is a big high school (3500 students), but the schools are really good compared to other school districts in the south suburbs. If you move to Orland Park try to be in the Century jr high district since it is the best jr high in Orland Park.

Check out nearby Orland Hills and Tinley Park. The schools are also good too especially in the Andrew High School district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs