Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Has anyone ever noticed how everyone's kids are always super smart and advanced? I guess there is no such thing as average any longer.

Here's a clue. If your child is the next Stephen Hawking, it will become readily apparent and the district will accelerate him/her. Otherwise, accept the fact that your child--like most of the others--is an average kid. Let them be a child. If they need additional enrichment, provide it for them outside of school.
This is not somebody that merely feel their child is "super smart" but someone that RELOCATED to an area that has a DIFFERENT SET of guidelines for the age at which kids start school.

How you would feel if your kid had to repeat a grade even though they mastered all the content from that grade level?

The OP almost certainly was NOT AROUND last fall for the appropriate placement tests and if the district was slammed with an influx of new residents it is very likely that the "placement decision information" was not supplied to them in the most professional manner.

I feel sorry for people who have a chip on their shoulder against those that merely want the best for their kids...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:16 AM

36 posts, read 41,156 times
They are not actually holding him back. It is the grade he would be in if he had started school here, unless he was moved ahead a grade. It is really just a number. I would guess that is likely that there a quite a few differences between what is taught in 5th and 6th grade in both countries. Can we really compare the two. If he is indeed gifted and or more advanced than his peers they are required by law to accommodate him. He will have to be tested. This will be done in the schools anyway. I have a child who is one of the oldest in his class because he missed the the birthday cut off. He has tested gifted in some areas and above grade level in all areas. I had thought of moving him ahead when he was young thinking he would be horribly bored. It is not a popular concept here. They prefer to keep them with their "same age peers". You will here that phrase a lot. They finally convinced me when they told me it would be an advantage for him when he got into sports because he would be bigger. I thought he was going to be a small guy like my brothers and I did not want him to get bullied so I did not pursue. OK so here is the short story. He is not a small guy. Being one of the oldest has been an advantage for him. we discovered late that despite his IQ he has a learning disability. And remember it takes boys longer to mature. He is not into sports at all but being the oldest in his class has been an advantage in his chosen extracurriculars. He was the Lead in School Play as Sophomore. Anyway it will all work out as long as you do what you need to advocate for your son as you are now. Being the oldest in his class has been a huge advantage for us. Plus we have a whole more year to save for college.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Illinois does not mandate gifted education, nor is there any Federal requirement to do so -- Illinois | National Association for Gifted Children

Old 09-07-2015, 01:51 PM

36 posts, read 41,156 times
This I did not know and that is very unfortunate. I hope there is a way around that then. We tested into a "gifted program while in Illinois. Maybe that is an option? I know that some of the schools "differentiate" education. Some places call it individualized instruction. At any rate that kind of teaching can make a world of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: