Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:38 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRF View Post
Thanks- there does seem to be a preference for Northbrook schools, though I can't figure out why exactly.
Higher test scores, except for the one district that's shared between Glenview and Northbrook (I think it's district 34). However, as I mentioned before, the higher rate of low income housing areas probably account for that on the Glenview side. Glenview is far from a slum though, as many affluent suburbs have their share of lower income housing, that's just the way it is. It's hard to get away from. You really can't go wrong with either location as both have their perks. Glenview is slightly closer to the city, and has more charming house stock. Northbrook has lots of 70's era Brady Bunch homes, and McMansions. Many people on this forum prefer Glenview to Northbrook for that reason.

I bought in Northbrook, as this "school perception" does help with property values there, but Glenview has it's charm that people enjoy, and probably not as many scary elderly drivers that shouldn't be on the road. LOL!

In the end, they're both awesome suburbs and safe family oriented places to live with great schools. You can't go wrong with either. If I could have found the house of my dreams in Glenview, I would have bought it. I just felt that I was paying just as much for homes in Northbrook with better rated (not necessarily better overall) schools, at the time. This helps property values. I did avoid Northbrook that fed into that district 34 though, as it didn't hold its property values as high as the rest of the suburb, and I tried to find a central Northbrook location. Some people prefer downtown or East Northbrook, but I wasn't as keen on the junior high there as much as Wood Oaks for IEP learners. I also avoided a more Western location as I always try to avoid sections on the edges of towns. I'm a bit paranoid about school rezoning, that's why. Call me crazy!

Homes that also sit on large major streets also don't hold their value as well. I swear, at one point, there were a zillion homes up for sale along Phingsten, which is a noisy road, and they were selling for 5 to 10% less than similar homes near quiet streets.

Last edited by twodoor2; 01-03-2016 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 AM

130 posts, read 254,542 times
Looks like you're kind of right.

District 34:
GLENVIEW CCSD 34 | District Snapshot

Northbrook/Glenview 30:
NORTHBROOK/GLENVIEW SD 30 | District Snapshot

But everyone talks about how East Glenview is the more preferable area... yet they have poorer schools? Or is it "poorer" because people perceive lower-SES people as undesirable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Higher test scores, except for the one district that's shared between Glenview and Northbrook (I think it's district 34). However, as I mentioned before, the higher rate of low income housing areas probably account for that on the Glenview side. Glenview is far from a slum though, as many affluent suburbs have their share of lower income housing, that's just the way it is. It's hard to get away from. You really can't go wrong with either location as both have their perks. Glenview is slightly closer to the city, and has more charming house stock. Northbrook has lots of 70's era Brady Bunch homes, and McMansions. Many people on this forum prefer Glenview to Northbrook for that reason.

I bought in Northbrook, as this "school perception" does help with property values there, but Glenview has it's charm that people enjoy, and probably not as many scary elderly drivers that shouldn't be on the road. LOL!

In the end, they're both awesome suburbs and safe family oriented places to live with great schools. You can't go wrong with either. If I could have found the house of my dreams in Glenview, I would have bought it. I just felt that I was paying just as much for homes in Northbrook with better rated (not necessarily better overall) schools, at the time. This helps property values. I did avoid Northbrook that fed into that district 34 though, as it didn't hold its property values as high as the rest of the suburb, and I tried to find a central Northbrook location.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRF View Post
Looks like you're kind of right.

District 34:
GLENVIEW CCSD 34 | District Snapshot

Northbrook/Glenview 30:
NORTHBROOK/GLENVIEW SD 30 | District Snapshot

But everyone talks about how East Glenview is the more preferable area... yet they have poorer schools? Or is it "poorer" because people perceive lower-SES people as undesirable?
East Glenview is more desirable because its closer to the North Shore, and some of it feeds into New Trier as does some of East Northbrook. There's also more retail and charming home stock towards East Glenview. The low income housing in Glenview, is more on the Southwestern side near Milwaukee and Lake Street. Some of those sections also feed into Maine East, which is perceived as a much more inferior school to Glenbrook South.

The grade and middle schools in Northbrook, aside from those you mentioned above, are very highly rated. I did try to find a home that fed into Maple Middle School, which would have been my ultimate preference, but the homes were too expensive in that area of East Northbrook. If shopping East Northbrook, try to get into Maple, as it's one of the highest rated middle schools in the state. I think it's in the top ten. Wood Oaks is in the top twenty.

http://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Sc...50160270021005

http://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Sc...50160300021001

http://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Sc...50160280021004

http://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Sc...50160310021001

Maple did score slightly lower on the recent PARCC exams though than Wood Oaks. Northbrook Junior High scored at least 14 points below either of them. Field is only five points lower than NB Jr. High on the PARCC, but if you look at the snapshot, it has a much higher percentage of low income kids, so they're doing something right over there. I just avoided it because of the higher percentage of low income kids. Unfortunately, this does affect property values.

We're in NB district 27

http://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Di...Id=05016027002

Last edited by twodoor2; 01-03-2016 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 09:15 AM

The places that we like as we look around are all Lyon and Pleasant Ridge. Hm.

Quote:
East Glenview is more desirable because its closer to the North Shore, and some of it feeds into New Trier as does some of East Northbrook. There's also more retail and charming home stock towards East Glenview. The low income housing in Glenview, is more on the Southwestern side near Milwaukee and Lake Street. Some of those sections also feed into Maine East, which is perceived as a much more inferior school to Glenbrook South.

The grade and middle schools in Northbrook, aside from those you mentioned above, are very highly rated. I did try to find a home that fed into Maple Middle School, which would have been my ultimate preference, but the homes were too expensive in that area of East Northbrook. If shopping East Northbrook, try to get into Maple, as it's one of the highest rated middle schools in the state. I think it's in the top ten. Wood Oaks is in the top twenty.

WOOD OAKS JR HIGH SCHOOL | School Snapshot

MAPLE SCHOOL | School Snapshot

NORTHBROOK JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL | School Snapshot

FIELD SCHOOL | School Snapshot

Maple did score slightly lower on the recent PARCC exams though than Wood Oaks. Northbrook Junior High scored at least 14 points below either of them. Field is only five points lower than NB Jr. High on the PARCC, but if you look at the snapshot, it has a much higher percentage of low income kids, so they're doing something right over there. I just avoided it because of the higher percentage of low income kids. Unfortunately, this does affect property values.

We're in NB district 27

NORTHBROOK ESD 27 | District Snapshot

Old 01-03-2016, 06:31 PM

When I was researching Glenview schools, the one I really avoided was Springman middle school. It seems to be an underperformer for the area.

It seems Northbrook spends more on their students as well, and taxes are similar to Glenview.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Ha, well, I think we're about to put in an offer on a house in the Springman district. I guess here's hoping for some changes in the next 10 years.

Quote:
When I was researching Glenview schools, the one I really avoided was Springman middle school. It seems to be an underperformer for the area.

It seems Northbrook spends more on their students as well, and taxes are similar to Glenview.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Quote:

Springman has 30% low income students versus 16% low income at Attea. When my daughter was in middle school and in cross country, many of her meets were at Attea and Springman and the Northbrook middle schools too except for Maple for some reason. Anyway, both middle schools seemed nice and both of then are still considered good schools. However, Attea's building is awesome! It's a big school, but it's still a very nice building.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 AM

Thanks! It's difficult to get "true" information when it comes to schools since everyone has a favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Springman has 30% low income students versus 16% low income at Attea. When my daughter was in middle school and in cross country, many of her meets were at Attea and Springman and the Northbrook middle schools too except for Maple for some reason. Anyway, both middle schools seemed nice and both of then are still considered good schools. However, Attea's building is awesome! It's a big school, but it's still a very nice building.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 PM

If I had to chose between Field and Springman, which both have similar levels of low income kids, I would chose Field. I've heard nothing but great things about Field. Springman on the other hand, not so much.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:28 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
I like Northbrook better because it is the real life "Shermer", the fictional town where John Hughes set all his movies. He grew up there. Glenview was not used in any of his movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs