Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 PM

677 posts, read 4,211,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly2008 View Post
Unfortunately my employer does not offer assistance in terms of housing search as part of the relocation package. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and information.
Sorry we weren't more helpful. I don't really know anything about that part of Mundelein and it doesn't look like anyone else does either. Visit it during the day and at night and see how it feels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Mundelein is a safe area close to shopping in Vernon Hills and there are new shops in Mundelein as well. Its a quiet place, nothing at all to fear (as in, not even close to the ghetto). Its situated between other nice middle and upper class suburbs.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 36,481 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the area and I would like to live within a reasonable drive to my future office in Mettawa area. I found this new development in downtown Mundelein that is only less than 10 miles away from the office location and the rent is reasonable. Is the area close to shops? Anyone can share any insights about the neighborhood? Thanks.
I will guess that the development is the new condos being built directly next to the tracks? Cardinal Square I believe?

Let's see how 'on' I am tonight. Guess #2: The new job is either CDW or HSBC?

Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
There aren't any areas that are completely safe. But if you look at the crime statistics of Chicago and all of the its suburbs, Mundelein is pretty safe. There isn't much crime. Random incidents of crime (shootings in malls, etc) can happen anywhere. Your commute from Mundelein to Mettawa will be close to as safe as you can get.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,017 times
Red face downtown mundelein

Downtown mundelein isn't that bad at all. Just have to get used to the wayside horns on the trains. I've been living in downtown Mundelein for a few years now.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,017 times
Schaumburg is in cook county, and they have highest sales tax anywhere around here....otherwise it's nice area

Old 04-19-2008, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,154 times
Mundelein is very safe. The downtown area is very quiet and offers a few shops and restaurants, although there is a big redevelopment plan for that area. You will find that living in Mundelein is very convenient and you will love your quick commute to work. If being on top of the train tracks isn't right for you, there are other new communities being built in Mundelein you should check into. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:58 AM

545 posts, read 2,044,058 times
Quote:
I'm a single professional female and will be relocating to northwest suburb of Chicago in mid Febuary for work. Just wonder if the area of down town Mundelein a safe neighborhood to live? I appreciate any advice.
REPLY: Theres some areas in the downtown area that are not really too desirable. Same for the southside of Mundelein. Your best bet is west of Route 45 and north of Division st. ,all the way north to Winchester rd. Property taxes are out of sight in Mundelein which is why i moved to Lake Villa unincorporated and got ALOT more value in a home , half an acre, and almost half the property taxes. Its only another 20 minutes up the road north.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Not just amount of taxes, but where the spend is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Theres some areas in the downtown area that are not really too desirable. Same for the southside of Mundelein. Your best bet is west of Route 45 and north of Division st. ,all the way north to Winchester rd. Property taxes are out of sight in Mundelein which is why i moved to Lake Villa unincorporated and got ALOT more value in a home , half an acre, and almost half the property taxes. Its only another 20 minutes up the road north.

The "downtown redevelopment" of Mundelein is one of those costs that just makes your property taxes higher for no immediate benefit (unless you are the firm getting paid for the planning proposals) and only a vague hope that there might be some future pay off...

Similarly the expenses that are incurred trying to get students that are not native English speakers up to speed academically mean there are less resources available for more traditional academic programming.

So too is the "anti crime" activity of the local police an expense that is not needed in a area with fewer rentals and less dense neighborhoods.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the benefits that there are to living in Mundelein. A very good friend grew up in a house that fronted Diamond Lake. I remember some terrific times water skiing in the crystal water, hoping off his boat, cooking out on their personal dock and other hard to replicate experiences. His parents have since sold their home and moved to Vegas where there tax is non-issue...

Old 04-21-2008, 02:18 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The "downtown redevelopment" of Mundelein is one of those costs that just makes your property taxes higher for no immediate benefit (unless you are the firm getting paid for the planning proposals) and only a vague hope that there might be some future pay off...

Similarly the expenses that are incurred trying to get students that are not native English speakers up to speed academically mean there are less resources available for more traditional academic programming.

So too is the "anti crime" activity of the local police an expense that is not needed in a area with fewer rentals and less dense neighborhoods.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the benefits that there are to living in Mundelein. A very good friend grew up in a house that fronted Diamond Lake. I remember some terrific times water skiing in the crystal water, hoping off his boat, cooking out on their personal dock and other hard to replicate experiences. His parents have since sold their home and moved to Vegas where there tax is non-issue...
REPLY: Hi Chet. With a $4,000,000 Police Dept. built and Re-refurbishing the Downtown area....I suspect alot of current Mundelein residents are going to yell 'Uncle' and move out . I finally moved out in 2005 and wish I had left in 1993 right after my divorce. I suspect Mundelein is trying to make thier Village more like a Libertyville..but its never going to be a Libertyville or anything close. While i had some good times and memories of Mundelein, it was for the most part a big money sponge to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs