Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 08:33 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times

Advertisements

Hey, wondering if anyone can add some commentary. I'm looking at a home in Downers Grove. Love the house but it's a bit on the smaller side. While I'm fine with it, I thought it might be nice to put a little maybe 15x10 shed/container in the backyard and use it as a little office/studio.

I was curious whether the city would allow that type of thing. It seems as if Downers is a bit more lax than Naperville and some other suburbs. Assuming I can meet the requirements for a shed ie 10 feet back from house, etc, etc, etc is there any reason why that wouldn't be allowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:00 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Go to city hall and talk with the building department. I don't know how useful that is because it will get damn cold there in winter. Mostly people here if they have a shed they use it to store tools. The kind of thing you are talking about is done by people in their basements or attics. Nobody puts a shed in there yard for a home office. The only time I've seen that is if there is a very old property with a coach house. Why can't the basement be fixed up and a home office be put in there?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:01 AM

165 posts, read 309,731 times
Not true. Lots of people do it. Google "shed office" or something like that. Can get use out of it probably 10 months of the year with a heater and window ac

Old 09-16-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Go to city hall and talk with the building department. I don't know how useful that is because it will get damn cold there in winter. Mostly people here if they have a shed they use it to store tools. The kind of thing you are talking about is done by people in their basements or attics. Nobody puts a shed in there yard for a home office. The only time I've seen that is if there is a very old property with a coach house. Why can't the basement be fixed up and a home office be put in there?
The house I'm looking at actually doesn't have a basement.

If you look on Etsy for "backyard studio" there are all types of cute little "sheds" for lack of a better word. Basically just some additional living space for an office, workout room, etc. I know the city would never allow this as liveable space but as a workshop, art studio, etc I thought it may be allowed.

Basically just some seperate space, if my gf is watching tv in the house I could go out there and do my work, I do a lot of video creation and things that I need silence for.

As far as temperature, most of these spaces are like 10x12 give or take so a small heater I would imagine could keep it tolerable for a good portion of the year even here in Illinois.

Here's an example of something similar to what I'd be looking to do...

http://etsy.me/2cf07H3

One other thought, if the city wouldn't allow a structure I could do something like this on wheels and just say I'm parking an RV in the backyard.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
In some parts of DG this would not be an issue at all -- the larger parcels near Midwestern U and Good Samaritan Hospital come to mind as an area where some folks have extra garages with loft space and such. Similarly there are some areas near Belmont with a very rural mix of homes.

In the core of town or areas with an more restrictive HOA it is not just zoning but folks with concerns over safety / uniformity may interfere with your desires.

The smartest way to do is almost certaintly to find existing situations with such uses, casually inquire with the owner or the Village zoning / planning department, and then use the information to guide you -- best case you move into an area where the neighbors don't care / want the same things, worst case Village says "grandfathered uses are ok but no new such uses will be permitted"...

BTW I have seen a few such situations near the "private airstrip communities" like Brookerridge, similar live / work uses in unincorporated parts of DuPage Co and even areas in the Fox Valley. I remember one case where there was a FULL professional recording studio in what looked from the outside to be a combination of two car garages joined at a right angle. The place was impressive, with enough space for a jazz ensemble, a huge mixing studio, a lounge with pool table sofas, and even a little kitchenette / wet bar. Rumor was that a certain rather well known California musician lived there for a time...

Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 AM

748 posts, read 832,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Hey, wondering if anyone can add some commentary. I'm looking at a home in Downers Grove. Love the house but it's a bit on the smaller side. While I'm fine with it, I thought it might be nice to put a little maybe 15x10 shed/container in the backyard and use it as a little office/studio.

I was curious whether the city would allow that type of thing. It seems as if Downers is a bit more lax than Naperville and some other suburbs. Assuming I can meet the requirements for a shed ie 10 feet back from house, etc, etc, etc is there any reason why that wouldn't be allowed?
From what I remember you might have to permit something that size. It's all here:

Municipal Code | Village of Downers Grove

Old 09-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
From what I remember you might have to permit something that size. It's all here:

Municipal Code | Village of Downers Grove
Thanks for posting, yeah I had seen the other day I believe 10x10 or smaller may not require any permits but going larger would.

I think a workaround may be a tiny house shell. Technically speaking I'm storing an RV which had guidelines but as long as I'm within those who really cares if I just go happen to sit in my stored RV and make youtube videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs