Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:28 PM

36 posts, read 39,658 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I move a ton for my job and it looks like the Chicago Suburbs will be my next stop.
I have two possible locations as my job is opening two buildings in the area. One is in Aurora, IL the other location is Waukegan, IL.
I'm young...24 years old, black guy (if that matters, it shouldn't lol), willing to drive 20-30 mins to work.

Ideal location would be somewhere that's half way between work and downtown Chicago. I'm pressing my boss for the Waukegan site simply because it's closer to the Northside bars. But hey I'm open to wherever.

I'm very unfamiliar with the Chicago area. Can you all recommend a city with decent apartments and not too bad of a drive.

I'm originally from Benton Harbor, MI so I'm looking forward to this move.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:49 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,946 times
Evanston if north or Naperville if west... thats what i would do...

Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,991,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Evanston if north or Naperville if west... that's what I would do...
Agree.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:52 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,184,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Evanston if north or Naperville if west... thats what i would do...
Agree with Evanston to Waukegan assuming he's willing to stretch his commute a bit longer than 30 minutes.

Naperville is a good place to live if commuting to area, but don't expect that to be a reasonable commute into the city for any leisure activities.

Waukegan and Aurora are both at the outskirts of the metro area. To be quite blunt about this, it's almost impossible to be halfway between one of those locations and downtown Chicago while keeping your work commute to 20-30 minutes. By downtown, are you referring to the Loop or the North Side bars you'd like to visit? I'm not trying to nitpick, but there's obviously a difference when driving. When I lived on the North Side people frequently asked how I liked living downtown.

Park Ridge or the northwest side of the city may shorten your commute a little by giving you a slightly shorter drive if you are working in Waukegan, but Evanston has a little more going for it for a 24 year old and some more appealing apartment options.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:25 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,945,525 times
I agree Evanston or Naperville. You might skip the north side bars that are almost entirely filled with white frat boy types and start focusing on Aurora...live in Naperville near I-88 and you will have a straight shot to Chicago from there and you might be surprised at how much you might like it in Naperville. I think there are all kinds of people living there, black, Asian, white, etc.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Okay cool! I was looking at apartments in both Evanston and Naperville, so this is good. I have a few buddies from college that live North Side Chicago by Wrigleyville and all I keep hearing about are the bars haha. Ironically, they are all "white frat boys."
I'm going to dig deeper into Evanston. I'm cool with a 40 min drive to work.

How is the city of Waukegan? I see the rents are lower there. Is that a "bad" city?

Old 03-04-2017, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 13,012 times
I'm a white frat boy - what the f--- is your problem with them?

Old 03-04-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterllc View Post
I'm a white frat boy - what the f--- is your problem with them?
Nothing bro lol. I'm a frat boy myself.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

27 posts, read 30,275 times
I will also recommend Evanston for Waukegan location and Naperville for the Aurora location. Tons of frat boys and GDI's that celebrate SAFTB in both locations.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 AM

81 posts, read 100,090 times
I'm not a big fan of living in Waukegan.

Is either job location near the Metra (commuter rail) stops in Aurora or Waukegan? There's no rule that says you have to drive to work every day in the Chicago area if you pick your apartment location carefully. If the jobs are within walking distance of the Metra stops you could find an apartment that's along the same train line and not bother driving to work. Metra is very pleasant, unlike the CTA trains, which are more of an acquired taste (and smell).

The Metra maps, ticket prices, and info about each station are easy to find on line. There are also RTA buses in the suburbs which link up to Metra. Some larger corporations even offer shuttle service to Metra. And your company may reimburse you for taking public transit. All things worth checking into IMHO.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs