Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,192 times

Advertisements

We are looking at two homes: 1 in Western Springs (around the Springdale Park area) and 1 in Downers Grove (about a block away from Prince Pond).

Downers Grove house:
-Walking distance to Metra (.6 miles)
-Walking distance to Elementary (Pierce Downer) School (.6 miles)
-Beautiful street
-Close to downtown DG
-Quick Express trains to the city(work in west loop), but my schedule sometimes varies, so worried a bit of about potential 45-60 mins non-express train rides.

Western Springs house:
-Not walking distance to train (1.5 miles)so very short drive and confirmed can park
-Not walking distance to elementary (Highlands Elementary)
-Very nice street
-Quick Metra rides to the city
-What I have been able to gather is that LT highschool is looked up more favorably than that of DG North and that generally Western Springs is much more appealing than further west Suburbs (which obviously helps in re-sale)
-Taxes higher (about $490 more per month than the home in DG)

Quick background:
Wife and I are two working professionals that will be commuting into the city. We have 1 child (entering kindergarten in the fall) and are Jewish. We are aware that neither area has many Jewish families, and ok with that as long as the community and neighbors are tolerant, that not all family social activities revolve around Church activities and that we will be left out.

We are having a difficult time deciding between the two and wanted to get some additional information on the two specific areas of each town and the overall communities and what might be some pro's and con's.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ajcooper; 06-19-2017 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: added information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 02:36 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
So far, it's looking like a no-brainer to me. You listed 3 pluses and no minuses for Downers Grove. You listed 1 plus and 3 minuses for Western Springs. (Only non-overlapping line items were counted.) As for your concern about religion, most west suburbs aren't Jewish. (They aren't heavily Christian, either, with a possible exception of Wheaton.) Even so, people there are very much "live and let live"; the worst you might get is someone thinking Hanukkah is a Jewish Christmas.

Based on those criteria alone, I would go with Downers Grove. Not to mention, it's more urban, but that's my personal taste.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:42 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I agree, I personally like Downers Grove better

Old 06-19-2017, 04:11 PM

748 posts, read 833,410 times
Do you mind sharing the listing in DG? I understand if you don't want to (you can DM me on this site, too). I've kept a very close eye on the real-estate in the Pierce Downer district, and much of what hasn't sold is either overpriced, or at the top of the market. If you're looking at something at the top of the market, there might be better options. If you're looking at one of 2 or 3 houses I think you are, this might be more about the house than the neighborhood - i.e. wait for the right house in the right hood.

As far as commuting into the city, Downers is great if you're close to either Belmont or Main Street. If you are not south of Prairie, walking to the school is a bit off, but it's a short drive.

Are you certain you can park in WS, and find parking, whenever you need it (i.e. later in the day and things have filled up)? Be careful with that certainty.

I live in Downers, never go to church, and don't know if my neighbors do or not -- I've never been invited to go, for what it's worth.

I also have a feeling that DG North is going to be on the uptick, with a TON of high-end new construction in the area. There is also a 5-10 year plan that the village has started to undertake on the high-school, that will include significant capital improvements.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,188,839 times
If I had to guess, home in DG is 4908 Middaugh Ave and home in WS is 309 53rd St. I like the location of the DG home better but like the actual house in WS better. The one thing I would warn against is assuming that the DG property taxes will remain that low. In my opinion, the assessed value on that home is way low and will adjust following resale of the home in the upper $600s or so. Overall, DG property tax rates are slightly lower than WS but not $500/mo cheaper when comparing homes of similar value.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:27 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Property taxes (on residents) are lower in Downers Grove because it's not the only source of revenue; the city can afford it. It has a much larger downtown, which means more businesses providing tax revenue. It also has a sizable industrial area near the Belmont Metra station, that also pays taxes, probably higher than a private citizen would pay. Western Springs, based on Google Maps, is mostly residential, with a small downtown and a shopping plaza. That's nothing bad in and of itself. However, the sources of tax revenue are less diverse, putting more burden on residents. So, there is no alternative but to have higher property taxes, if the village and/or school district wants to provide good services.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,188,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Property taxes (on residents) are lower in Downers Grove because it's not the only source of revenue; the city can afford it. It has a much larger downtown, which means more businesses providing tax revenue. It also has a sizable industrial area near the Belmont Metra station, that also pays taxes, probably higher than a private citizen would pay. Western Springs, based on Google Maps, is mostly residential, with a small downtown and a shopping plaza. That's nothing bad in and of itself. However, the sources of tax revenue are less diverse, putting more burden on residents. So, there is no alternative but to have higher property taxes, if the village and/or school district wants to provide good services.
As I said, DG is lower on average but not by a wide margin. If comparing home's of equal value, one should anticipate taxes to be ~10% higher in WS. For a home valued at $700k that amounts to roughly $125/month.

Compare your property tax rate (database) - Chicago Tribune

Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 AM

748 posts, read 833,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
As I said, DG is lower on average but not by a wide margin. If comparing home's of equal value, one should anticipate taxes to be ~10% higher in WS. For a home valued at $700k that amounts to roughly $125/month.

Compare your property tax rate (database) - Chicago Tribune
Yup - this is spot on.

DG tax assessments also seem to be a little on the lower end, especially for older houses. New builds get a hefty bill right up front, but you can expect a few years until things catch up with sales (naturally, as property taxes lag).

Inventory is tight everywhere, but walkable DG is hard to get something "good" under 650K right now. However, things that have been on the market -- like that home mentioned above -- are apt to go for 10-15% less than asking.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
As someone who looked at the western suburbs, my preference would be Western Springs by a wide margin.

The Western Springs-La Grange area was a personal favorite of mine, with older grid system neighborhoods and a large downtown in La Grange. As a Boston native who holds no allegiance to any particular suburb, it just has an energy and vibrancy about it. La Grange had families and kids littered on the streets- biking, playing catch, etc. The restaurants and bars were all very family friendly, with a fairly extensive list of options in which to choose from.

As for reputation and resale, I think your investment will hold steadier in an area that's closer to the city. When the housing bubble bursts, i'd all but guarantee that the % decrease in value will grow larger in a Downers Grove/Wheaton/Naperville than a Western Springs/LaGrange/Park Ridge.

Side note: We loved the fact that Lyons has two campuses which enables Freshman and Sophomores to stay Freshman and Sophomores without the pressure of upperclassmen. Not sure about DG North.. Maybe they offer that too.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,192 times
Thank you all for the info and opinions.

Does anyone have any more insight into the Springdale area of Western Springs. We drove around there yesterday and it definitely has a different (not bad) vibe than a bit closer to downtown Western Springs. Just wondering what the culture of the neighborhood is there, etc. We had heard mixed messages from people who said that some who live in that area don't really feel part of the Western Springs community as they are further south, while others raved about the area. At the top of our list is a very community oriented and family friendly neighborhood.

Also if there is anything pertinent to know about Highlands Elementary and middle school that I might not of already seen online. They seem highly rated and regarded, etc. (also bonus for full day kindergarten available).

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs