Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 04:34 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what there is to explain further. I grew up in Evanston and Glencoe, and I know that many Jews move to places like Glencoe where they are clearly the majority to be in that atmosphere. It's about two decades old, but the book The Jews of Chicago: From Shtetl to Suburb by Irving Cutler is a good rundown of the Jewish history and demographics of suburban Chicago. Highland Park, Glencoe, and west Wilmette have very significant Jewish populations that greatly inform the communities. If you are interested in that, you'll probably like living there. If not, you might want to weigh that among your options. It's information to consider when considering your options. With regard to Draper, Utah, my understanding is that it's upwards of 50% LDS. That's similar to how Jewish Glencoe and Highland Park are based on my experience and the research in that book.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
20 years ago the only people on the Internet were researchers from universities.
Now the vast majority of folks with any sort of white collar job spend their whole day online. The well educated workforce that makes this happen is dominated by folks from Asian nations; many such workers have found the desirable schools of the North Shore to be excellent places to raise their family. Demographic information, broken out by school for the Illinois State Board of Education Interactive Reportcard confirms such shifts...

Old 10-13-2017, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 10,755 times
Thanks Hiruko! I appreciate your insightful input. My husband is Catholic(non practicing) and I'm unaffiliated. I'm in Glencoe often to get my hair done and I really love the small town feel it has. My ideal town is Lake Forest, but I think the commute downtown would drive me nuts. I really love Evanston as well, but my husband doesn't like the crime issue.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:43 PM

I'm glad I could be helpful. If you really like Lake Forest and Evanston, I think Winnetka or Glencoe could be a happy compromise. Both of them have that quiet small town feel, but are still close to Evanston for things like Whole Foods, the movie theater, nice restaurants, and the performing arts. If you don't need the train you might also look at northwest Evanston (60201) or Skokie/Evanston (60203). You should be able to find some 1920s Georgians and Colonials, as well as some sought-after Hemphill homes in those two areas. Northwest Evanston has the upscale Central Street shopping district that is very similar to the shopping districts of Winnetka and downtown Glencoe.

I've never had a problem with crime in Evanston, and I don't personally know anyone who has. Evanston police briefings are very detailed, and readily available on the city's website. The police are very proactive and engaged with the community. The most common crimes are identity theft, theft of items left unattended, and car break-ins (there are a lot of cars parked on the street in Evanston and Wilmette). I've never experienced any of those things, but those crimes are common everywhere including further north.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,908 times
We're a family with children still in school, moving to Chicago area. I have my eyes on Wilmette. It seems on the surface, looks like the town we're in now (population wise, income level, cultural diversity...) from reading the blogs, I've learned there is a large population of Jewish here, any other minorities? We're looking for a place that offers cultural diversity so our children can identify with (not identify with their race, but the environment of mix races and culturally diverse, and feel comfortable). Would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:28 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuen View Post
We're a family with children still in school, moving to Chicago area. I have my eyes on Wilmette. It seems on the surface, looks like the town we're in now (population wise, income level, cultural diversity...) from reading the blogs, I've learned there is a large population of Jewish here, any other minorities? We're looking for a place that offers cultural diversity so our children can identify with (not identify with their race, but the environment of mix races and culturally diverse, and feel comfortable). Would like to hear from you. Thanks.
Nearby Evanston and Skokie are more diverse than Wilmette.

FWIW, maybe it’s the way you wrote your thoughts out above, but do you really consider people who are Jewish a minority(?)

Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,424 times
Quote:
New Trier: 84.9% White
Glenbrook South: 63.7% White
Glenbrook North: 77.2% White
Highland Park High: 70.4% White

Winnetka, Deerfield, Lake Forest are also around 88% white.

But even at the Glenbrooks, the diversity is really mostly just one other race…Asians.

As an Asian person, the north shore culture was great growing up here in the 80s & 90s. But I can’t speak for ethnicity that’s outside the White+Asian combo, since that’s a lot of the area.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I don't consider Wilmette to be very diverse at all. Traditionally, the Jewish community has been centered around West Wilmette near Beth Hillel and Chabad. There have been quite a few families of East Asian background moving into that same area. My best friend's Jewish grandmother's immediate neighborhood is now about half Asian.

I think the level of diversity that you speak of is more likely to be found in Evanston or Skokie.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
It's not speculation. I live here, and I grew up here. I am giving you a first hand account of the ethnic and socioeconomic realities of the area, as well as the history behind it. If you do not know that Highland Park, Glencoe, and west Wilmette are associated with the Jewish community, you definitely are not from the area. Likewise, if you do not know that Lake Forest, Winnetka, and east Wilmette are associated with white gentiles, you are definitely not from the area. Precinct level election results are readily available, and they correlate with my first hand account of the local demographic makeup. These differences are very distinct for those of us that grew up here. I think people looking to move somewhere new should be made aware of the local culture, so that they can determine if that is something that they want or not. My analysis of the local housing market is corroborated by your information from Redfin.
Wilmette is changing. West Wilmette is as Asian as it is Jewish, and East Wilmette (east of Ridge) has a fair sprinkling of Jews (including me). If you consider only east of Green Bay to be East Wilmette, it's still probably most Mainline Protestant, but more politically liberal than conservative; at any rate, there were lots of Romney signs (including me) but almost no Trump signs.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:13 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
If you don't need the train you might also look at northwest Evanston (60201) or Skokie/Evanston (60203).
The train stops in Northwest Evanston, at Central Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs