Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:59 AM

17 posts, read 32,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, Folks,

I'm considering relocating to around Evanston, for a job in Northwestern University. This will be a 1-year relocation.

We have 4 children. They will be in elementary, middle, and high school.

So, what am I looking for? A nice, safe place to live, which is characterized by:
  1. Easy commute by public transportation to Northwestern University
  2. Has great schools with ESL (English as Second Language) support, as they're not native English speakers
  3. Has affordable housing that will accommodate the 6 of us.

Which areas should I be focused on?...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Arnon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 10:42 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,963,361 times
I'm not sure if you could say Evanston has affordable housing. Its a wonderful place to live, I think. For something more affordable, try looking in Skokie or Lincolnwood. Skokie is a veritable United Nations and although I am not familiar with the schools, there are certainly a lot of students who are not native English speakers there.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Thanks for pointing out to Skokie/Lincolnwood. Indeed, I was afraid that Evanston is not that affordable (mainly for a relatively big apt/house that we'll need).

Old 01-20-2019, 02:10 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,577,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnonra View Post
Thanks for pointing out to Skokie/Lincolnwood. Indeed, I was afraid that Evanston is not that affordable (mainly for a relatively big apt/house that we'll need).
Evanston has become one of Chicagoland's most expensive suburbs, and single-family homes are at a particular premium. It all depends on your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I'm not sure if you could say Evanston has affordable housing. Its a wonderful place to live, I think. For something more affordable, try looking in Skokie or Lincolnwood. Skokie is a veritable United Nations and although I am not familiar with the schools, there are certainly a lot of students who are not native English speakers there.
Skokie is extremely diverse across the board. It's more diverse than Evanston, and diversity is known as one of Evanston's most significant selling points. Skokie is also relatively expensive, however. Skokie has its own school district with an excellent reputation. However, a considerable portion of Skokie, in the northeast corner of the village, is in Evanston/Skokie School District 65 and Evanston Township High School District 202. Most properties in that area have Evanston addresses.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:18 PM

Default Thanks for that!

We'll probably live on a relatively limited budget, but I don't yet know how much.

Looking at some rental website - it was really a preliminary search - I see that 4-bedroom single-homes in Skokie are rented at the range of the mid-high $2000s - is it really so?...

Old 01-20-2019, 02:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times
Quote:
Hi, Folks,

I'm considering relocating to around Evanston, for a job in Northwestern University. This will be a 1-year relocation.

We have 4 children. They will be in elementary, middle, and high school.

So, what am I looking for? A nice, safe place to live, which is characterized by:
  1. Easy commute by public transportation to Northwestern University
  2. Has great schools with ESL (English as Second Language) support, as they're not native English speakers
  3. Has affordable housing that will accommodate the 6 of us.

Which areas should I be focused on?...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Arnon
Have you talked to Northwestern's housing department or to people who you will be working with? Those should be resources for you.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:20 PM

Will do so as well, although I'm not optimistic re this route...

Old 01-20-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
We'll probably live on a relatively limited budget, but I don't yet know how much.

Looking at some rental website - it was really a preliminary search - I see that 4-bedroom single-homes in Skokie are rented at the range of the mid-high $2000s - is it really so?...
That doesn't seem unreasonable.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,272,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
That doesn't seem unreasonable.
Did the OP say that was unreasonable(?) .

The hard way to go is to start to look around and plan, involving the kids, w/o having a target budget. That has to come first if someone is moving into an expensive area.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Did the OP say that was unreasonable(?) .

The hard way to go is to start to look around and plan, involving the kids, w/o having a target budget. That has to come first if someone is moving into an expensive area.
I could not follow what they were trying to say about the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs