Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:43 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
My Apologies if this sounds harsh, but your statements are so ridiculous I'm not sure if you are serious or pulling our legs? "High property taxes are a positive bc it puts a cap on home appreciation"-- tell me you're joking!!
When property taxes are used as a wealth tax, they can be helpful in reducing speculation, keeping home prices affordable, and encouraging turnover. Many economists believe that Proposition 13 in California has contributed to the state's housing crisis because it incentivizes homeowners to remain in their homes resulting in a lack of inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 12:08 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
When property taxes are used as a wealth tax, they can be helpful in reducing speculation, keeping home prices affordable, and encouraging turnover. Many economists believe that Proposition 13 in California has contributed to the state's housing crisis because it incentivizes homeowners to remain in their homes resulting in a lack of inventory.
I wouldn't compare California"s "housing crisis" to Illinois tax strategy... that's two totally different problems.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:14 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
My Apologies if this sounds harsh, but your statements are so ridiculous I'm not sure if you are serious or pulling our legs? "High property taxes are a positive bc it puts a cap on home appreciation"-- tell me you're joking!!
Agreed, it is a bit strange. I think the OP's basic question is valid.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:22 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Just got my property tax bill for this year. Went up 1%. Not a big deal, but it's already high so it is what it is...

Old 05-04-2019, 10:13 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I wouldn't compare California"s "housing crisis" to Illinois tax strategy... that's two totally different problems.
I wasn't commenting about any 'problems'. Illinois property values are depressed, in part due to high property tax rates. California property values are inflated, in part due to artificially low property taxes and an arrangement that encourages people to hold onto properties.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:21 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Here in Wheaton homes are selling well and there are still new ones going up. I have not noticed a decline in home prices. I think Chicago will always be desirable for many reasons. True we do have very high property taxes but Illinois does not tax pensions. I would not buy in exurbia, but one of the more popular suburbs.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Just got my property tax bill for this year. Went up 1%. Not a big deal, but it's already high so it is what it is...
You did not just get your property tax bill. They don't go out until later in the year. What you DID get was your new assessment. Yes, that may have gone up 1%. No big deal. But even if your assessment remains flat, they can increase the rate to pretty much whatever they want and you can't do a thing about that.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
Default The Migration out of the state has to be reversed.

The State migration issue has compounded substantially in the last 7 years. It has to be reversed by the state soon or it will meet a critical level. The thought process is people are migrating at retirement ages to better weather in states like Arizona or Florida. The reality is data shared on US Census is providing ages 29-55 demographics are leaving to neighboring states with more lenient tax structures. The population decrease in 2011 when the state taxes expired and then subsequently were raised in 2017 to 4.95% is when the compounding effect really took off. So many ideas and plans have been implemented but ineffective because of the elephant in the room. The state pension deficit that is out of control and property taxes. Until steps are taken to amend the states constitution that protect its current structure nothing can be done to balance the budget.

But, if they take a page out of Arizona's play book when faced with the same issues they were able to amend some of the unsustainable benefits by amending their laws and were able to climb out of a fiscal nightmare of being billions of dollars in the red. Arizona was at 53% funding and $1.7 Billion dollars in debt with the long-term solvency of the pension in serious question.

Liljenquist,D (2017) stated “The reform, which enrolls new employees in a modern retirement plan with 100 percent vesting within three years of service and more retirement planning choices, will help ensure the long-term solvency of the pension system while saving the state billions of dollars.”

For the state to have any chance of decreasing migrating numbers the changes in pension reform and tax restructuring will be the only way the state can attract a future labor force of companies that can stimulate tax revenue to finally start balancing the budget and look at growth rather then continual bleeding.

Liljenquist, D (2017). Pension Reform Comes in Many Shapes and Sizes. Forbes

Old 05-05-2019, 12:21 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdiesel21 View Post
The State migration issue has compounded substantially in the last 7 years. It has to be reversed by the state soon or it will meet a critical level. The thought process is people are migrating at retirement ages to better weather in states like Arizona or Florida. The reality is data shared on US Census is providing ages 29-55 demographics are leaving to neighboring states with more lenient tax structures. The population decrease in 2011 when the state taxes expired and then subsequently were raised in 2017 to 4.95% is when the compounding effect really took off. So many ideas and plans have been implemented but ineffective because of the elephant in the room. The state pension deficit that is out of control and property taxes. Until steps are taken to amend the states constitution that protect its current structure nothing can be done to balance the budget.

But, if they take a page out of Arizona's play book when faced with the same issues they were able to amend some of the unsustainable benefits by amending their laws and were able to climb out of a fiscal nightmare of being billions of dollars in the red. Arizona was at 53% funding and $1.7 Billion dollars in debt with the long-term solvency of the pension in serious question.

Liljenquist,D (2017) stated “The reform, which enrolls new employees in a modern retirement plan with 100 percent vesting within three years of service and more retirement planning choices, will help ensure the long-term solvency of the pension system while saving the state billions of dollars.”

For the state to have any chance of decreasing migrating numbers the changes in pension reform and tax restructuring will be the only way the state can attract a future labor force of companies that can stimulate tax revenue to finally start balancing the budget and look at growth rather then continual bleeding.

Liljenquist, D (2017). Pension Reform Comes in Many Shapes and Sizes. Forbes
I see no will to amend the current pension structure.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:16 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You did not just get your property tax bill. They don't go out until later in the year. What you DID get was your new assessment. Yes, that may have gone up 1%. No big deal. But even if your assessment remains flat, they can increase the rate to pretty much whatever they want and you can't do a thing about that.

Depends on where you live. I got my RE tax bill in Lake County last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs