Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 PM
j33 j33 started this thread

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times

Advertisements

The Ford Heights Police Department has stopped doing police work after running out of officers.

Apparently $12 an hour isn't enough incentive to serve as the law in the downtrodden village. "A lot of them found jobs elsewhere," said Trustee Jimmy Viverette.

Ya think?

I've driven through Ford Heights on many occasions, but it has been at least 15 years since I've been down that way, but it seems like not much has changed. Reading this made me depressed. How do we let places like this slide so far downhill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,668 times
I just read the article via internet from The New York Times regarding East Chicago Heights, which has now become Ford Heights. It just really touched my heart and had me on the brink of tears (yes i am a male and i cry) to hear of how this suburb has slipped under the radar so to speak. But what really touched me was what their income per capita was and how much their police force (which is of four) make annually. Myself, i live in the Englewood area of Chicago, (which often is the subject of the local news) which is also not a great place to reside and/or raise a family. On the verge of moving out soon though, but that would not stop me from coming back and helping out in whatever why possible to help left up our young men and women there. Thats what Ford Heights needs, some national attention or at least some press coverage, and investors who are willing to come in and take a chance with this suburb. This city is just like an open, forgotten about field; But once its cultivated, and seeds are planted and watering takes place; Then up sprouts new growth and life, and this is what Ford Heights need.

Last edited by simple1171; 04-14-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add additional comements

Old 04-14-2009, 07:09 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,589 times
Ford Heights had their police department disbanded last year due to corruption and mismanagement. Their chief didn't even show up for work. The Cook County Sheriff's Police now conducts 24 hour patrols of the village. There was a debate as to whether Ford Heights could or should deincorporate as a village and become unincorporated, which is probably still ongoing.

Ford Heights has been a major recipient of Section 8 housing. It is similar to what happened in Dixmoor several years back, but they snapped out of it.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,540 times
Angry Ford Heights needs a Change

What the town of Ford Heights needs is a Change. A change in local government and the citizens need to take responsibility for their children. I"ve lived here for a few years and I've noticed how no one really cares about how our town looks or operates. Most of the citizens just do what they want to do but they are very respectful when they go to so called "White Neighborhoods" and its truly a shame that you wouldn't want the town that you reside in to be beautiful and respected. I also think that the youth are really horrible-some but not all. They are not being taught moral values and they dont even have goals. Must of them smoke weed and think that everything should be handed to them on a silver platter. The local government is corrupt and even cheated in the April 7th election so more crooks could get elected. This town really needs some help.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 21,600 times
Ford Heights doesn't need any help. It's the perfect place for a mafia to setup shop.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Ford Heights is a hopeless slum and nothing more or less than a prison for its residents. Maybe they should just tear it down and "re-locate" the people living like they did with the housing projects in Chicago. The only civic problem with this idea is the major roads like Lincoln Highway that run through Ford Heights and the absense of these roads would become a hassle for many drivers.

Last edited by urza216; 02-17-2010 at 01:51 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 AM

378 posts, read 1,288,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtkeller View Post
What the town of Ford Heights needs is a Change. A change in local government and the citizens need to take responsibility for their children. I"ve lived here for a few years and I've noticed how no one really cares about how our town looks or operates. Most of the citizens just do what they want to do but they are very respectful when they go to so called "White Neighborhoods" and its truly a shame that you wouldn't want the town that you reside in to be beautiful and respected. I also think that the youth are really horrible-some but not all. They are not being taught moral values and they dont even have goals. Must of them smoke weed and think that everything should be handed to them on a silver platter. The local government is corrupt and even cheated in the April 7th election so more crooks could get elected. This town really needs some help.
I'm interested to hear anything you want to share about Ford Heights. The crime, culture, schools, whatever. It's always better to hear something firsthand.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Long Grove does not have a police department either. It relies on Lake County sheriff. In addition some residents hire private security services. This is a town with many million-dollar plus houses. So absence of a police department does not of itself mean a city is a basket case.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,589 times
Ford Heights had a police department until a year ago. Until 2005, the police department patrolled for 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Since 80% of the entire village of 4,200 (might have changed now) is on public assistance, the tax base was lacking. From 2005- 2008ish, the department only had the resources to keep 4 officers and a chief. Other nearby suburbs had issues as well, I think it was Dixmoor that couldn't afford to keep their patrol cars filled. Anyway, in 2008, Sheriff Dart picked up the slack and now has 2 Cook County Sheriff's Police on patrol near Ford Heights each shift.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
If I am not mistaken, Dixmoor had a Park District police force of about a dozen to patrol a one-acre property. The scandal was uncovered when they applied for federal law enforcement assistance. This was back in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs