Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 06:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Looks like you've found the correct answer. Doable and affordable. But how long can the OP do nothing but eat, sleep, work, bathe, and commute during the week? Seems like it would get old in a hurry. Whatever they are making in Waukegan would probably be less than working close to home at lower pay, banking the commuting costs, and working a part-time gig with the extra hours. Or, moving close to the new job, but they said that's not possible. OP, would the new job allow you to work four, ten hour days? That would make it much more palatable for most.
I have met people who commute by rail from:
Grayslake to Roselle (via River Grove)
Matteson to Rosemont
South Chicago to Bensenville
Cicero to Hyde Park

I don't necessarily endorse it, but it can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 07:20 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There is, but few would consider it. Perhaps ride the UP-W line downtown then transfer. A long ride, to be sure. But at least it's economical, at about $240 a month, much less than driving. Maybe less than gas + tolls alone.

Incredibly long ride both ways time wise. Plus, what do you do when you get to Waukegan? The train station is all the way on the east side near the lake and not likely near the work location. If the work location is along that strip on 43 north of 137 where most of the major employers are located, that is a long way from the train station. Maybe the employer has a shuttle, but going east/west on Belvedere or Washington during rush hour will add considerably to the commute. Just not a practical option.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:11 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodiddly View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Its a great opportunity, but everyone's replies are echoing what I was thinking...don't know if I could deal with this commute day to day. The extra pay would more than cover commuting costs, but still not worth it. Additionally, I don't think hours are particularly flexible.

I once tried what you're considering, 90 days in I quit.
The 3-4 hours daily on the road just wasn't worth it, had no life.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:34 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Check if they are still doing road construction.. that will set you back an extra hour.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:09 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times
I did a very similar drive for years. It was at minimum an hour each way, and if you.throw in traffic, snow, tolls, etc its a lot longer. It eats up a lot of costs quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs