Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 07:31 AM

9 posts, read 15,480 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are currently renting in Park Ridge to figure out our final destination. I do love Park ridge, but I do not like the surrounding areas/activities to do with children. Maybe I am missing something? I am intrigued by Wilmette, as I think I might like the area better. Our max budget is 750,000, which I do not know if that’s possible to find a home in East Wilmette at that price. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 08:32 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
CTCook, I can not help you and I apologize to take up your time.

I do have a question for you, however. Please tell me, what do you NOT like about Park Ridge for the children? I only know Park Ridge because I like the Edison Park neighborhood. I've driven through Park Ridge. I heard they have a decent library, and usually libraries and park recreation programs can offer a lot for children activities. And Park Ridge definitely seems family-oriented.

I also know Wilmette from all my drives down to the city. Wilmette, too, has a very nice park on Skokie Blvd. My kids always liked the skateboard park there. My brother was going to move there if he got a job in Chicago... But he ended up getting a job in Madison, Wisconsin so you KNOW I was disappointed!

Old 12-02-2020, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the response! We love Edison park area, but I do not love the surrounding area of niles/morton grove. I love park ridge, and they do have great programs. I think it’s hard to tell right now also bc of COVID. With Wilmette I guess I like that you are getting better surrounding suburbs if that makes sense!

Old 12-02-2020, 08:53 AM

CTCook, when I stay overnight I typically stay in the hotels in the Niles/Skokie area.

Edison Park has great restaurants and parks for the kids.

Niles and Morton Grove are all very nice and offer more cultural diversity than Edison Park/Park Ridge (IF that is an important factor to you guys?).

Wilmette does have great surrounding suburbs. Do you think Park Ridge does NOT???

Old 12-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Correct! I am not wowed by the surrounding areas of park ridge!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:09 AM

CTCook, as a Milwaukeean the area west of, say, Cumberland Avenue, is NOT my typical stomping grounds. I prefer to take routes down, other than I-94, to save money on tolls. I use the other highway routes down.

I have SOME experience being "out in the west burbs" but not like the northern area. And YES, the north burbs are great!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:53 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCook View Post
Hello,

We are currently renting in Park Ridge to figure out our final destination. I do love Park ridge, but I do not like the surrounding areas/activities to do with children. Maybe I am missing something? I am intrigued by Wilmette, as I think I might like the area better. Our max budget is 750,000, which I do not know if that’s possible to find a home in East Wilmette at that price. Any input is greatly appreciated!
I think you are missing something because I can't see what Wilmette offers that is above and beyond Park Ridge as far as family activities—aside from the proximity to the lakefront.

You can find something for $750k east of Green Bay Road, but it will be smaller and more dated than what you would likely be able to find in parts of the village to the west.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:09 PM

223 posts, read 170,533 times
A house in park ridge would be more expensive than a house in the l streets of west wilmette but east wilmette is more expensive than park ridge. Park ridge is convenient to the airport and wilmette is convenient to the lake. It matters what house you like more and for the price you want downtown park ridge is nicer than downtown wilmette, but wilmette has Gilson beach.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:56 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I think you are missing something because I can't see what Wilmette offers that is above and beyond Park Ridge as far as family activities—aside from the proximity to the lakefront.
Yeah, I'm a bit confused myself.

Both have a good amount of families, though I would think Park Ridge is a bit younger (human age). Neither have a Children's museum, but both are equidistant to the one in Glenview. Wilmette has the lake. Park Ridge has the more extensive and busier downtown. Both offer nice, old housing stock around the core, with post war housing stretching west (and northwest, for Park Ridge).

Price per square foot in Park Ridge is probably 15-20% less when comparing an apples-to-apples house to Wilmette. Wilmette comes with a better brand name, and feeds into New Trier. But, I don't expect Wilmette and the immediate area to be a far better place for a family.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 8,694 times
...and it looks like we'll be moving to Wilmette or very nearby after having given up on Madison due to chronically low real estate inventory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs