Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 02:39 PM

13 posts, read 35,286 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move from Algonquin, IL to Wilmette, IL so that I can be closer to my place of employment in Northbrook. I have an eleven year old and I am very concerned about how she may be treated in the schools in this area. I have driven around the area that I am looking at moving to and was very impressed with the active families and what appeared to be, very proactive community involvement, however; I have read on this site as well as others that there is not much diversity within this area. I am not so much concerned about how my daughter will do in this environment because she has been one of a few if not the only african american in her school on several occasions, but I am concerned about the attitudes and level of inclusiveness that she may experience if I were to move to this area.

Can someone share with me their experiences of living in this area and what their take is on the openness of the people that reside there?

Thank you for your assistance in helping me make the best decision that I can for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 10:49 PM

47 posts, read 164,709 times
As a black male myself, I will tell you that Wilmette can be a bit snobby. I use to work in Northbrook off of Lake Cook road so I'm very familar with the area that you currently work. For years and years, I was the only back person for miles and miles. I am actually use to being the only black person at work and in the suburbs. There are some definate advantages to moving there, so I can see why you have concerns.

Have you thought about moving to Northbrook or Deerfield? There are some great homes in those areas along with good schools.

Most of the people keep to themselves so its not like moving in the deep south. If there's any other questions you have, just let me know.. I'm more than happy to answer if I know the answer.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:50 PM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
I am an african american woman and I would highly recommend you look further north into Glencoe. We have a nice sized african-american population. You being a single-parent it will be a bit different for you. You should private message me so that we can talk privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs