Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 42,497 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone had any information or insight regarding the Prestwick Country Club located in Frankfort IL? Are there young families that belong to it? (We have three children ages 4, 6, and 8) Do people have fun and really enjoy going to such a place? How would you rank swimming lessons, swim team, tennis lessons, and junior golf for children? Are people friendly and down to earth? Would a family feel comfortable joining without knowing anyone? Do people like the restaurant?

Would anyone be able to recommend a different country club in the south suburbs? If so, what do you like about it?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 PM

162 posts, read 803,834 times
Three of my neighbors are members, they did it primarily for their kids (total of 12 kids, all under 11 years old). Great for swimming, tennis, social events, golfing, etc.

I was looking into it myself, but have only driven through - I will see what I can find out from them in more detail - but they all love it and joined for the kids.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 13,983 times
Default great place

I am currently a member there and it is the perfect place for young families & kids.
A lot of social events and great golf.

I Highly recommend joining!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 PM

16 posts, read 111,584 times
It's a very nice country club in the middle of a very nice subdivision. Do you live in Prestwick? I'm not sure what town you live in or where you are willing to drive to, but there are plenty of country clubs in the south suburbs to pick from: Prestwick, Crystal Tree, Olympia Fields, Flossmoor, Idlewild, Ravisloe, Calumet, Lincolnshire, Ruffled Feathers.

Prestwick does have lots of social events, the pool is packed during the summer, and have a beautiful golf course.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
it's a great place to live but realize that it is a woodsy area combined with a golf course. which sounds lovely unless you consider the crime element when there used to be none. in the past 2 months, there have been 3 house burglaries in Prestwick. And on November 11th, another rich area of Frankfort (abbey woods off LaGrange Ave.) had 2 home invasions with young black males with guns...not exactly the type normally seen in Abbey Woods (homes up to a million dollars and over). so, in short, Prestwick would have been Ideal 10-20 years ago but now i would consider a town that isn't experiencing as much growth as Frankfort is because i have family in that town and there is more than just increased traffic going on...

the information about the Burglaries were in "The Star" and here's a link for one of the home invasions:

Breaking news: Frankfort police investigating home invasion

remember where there's money, the less fortunate thugs will go there to get it!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM

I live in Frankfort, near Prestwick and am in the process of joining and aside from the Abbey Woods incident (people were followed home and robbed in the driveway of their house - there was no home invasion - more info will come out in the future on it) crime in Frankfort is very, very, very low. Prestwick is a beautiful club and very nice golf course.

If you are telling me traffic is bad and crime is bad in Prestwick and Frankfort you are wrong or lying. The only traffic in Frankfort is along LaGrange - and that is not traffic that stops, except when there is a red light.

I have not heard of any burglaries in Prestwick and have a close friend on the Frankfort Police force so that is news to me - and him. Outside of the Abbey Woods incident and a Burger King incident a few months ago and very minor crimes, it is as safe as any very nice suburb. Like any other town, there can be crime but to say it is bad or Prestwick is not safe is delusional.

A very good friend lives in Deerfield and had his house robbed when his wife was giving birth - that does not make Deerfield an un-safe town.

An acquaintance was unfortunate enough to be on the wrong end of the armed break-in/robbery in Barrington Hills a few months ago - does that make it a crime-ridden town?

Last edited by vester72; 11-14-2008 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vester72 View Post
I live in Frankfort, near Prestwick and am in the process of joining actually, but aside from the Abbey Woods incident (people were followed home and robbed in the driveway of their house) crime in Frankfort is very, very, very low. Beautiful club and very nice golf course.

If you are telling me traffic is bad and crime is bad in Prestwick you are wrong or lying. The only traffic in Frankfort is along LaGrange - and that is not traffic that stops, except when there is a red light.

I have not heard of any burglaries in Prestwick and have a close friend on the Frankfort Police force so that is news to me - and him. Outside of the Abbey Woods incident and minor crimes, it is as safe as any very nice suburb. Liek any other town, there can be crime but to say it is bad or Prestwick is not safe is nuts.
See, you're from chicago if i remember correctly and have only lived there a year (if i am correct, if i am not please tell me as i do not mean to offend you) thus your belief of bad traffic has no relevance to mine which goes back 20-25 years and does not compare it to the previous places in which you lived which obviously has some relevance in your opinion as to what is bad and what is not bad traffic.

Trust me, traffic all along Rt. 30 has never been so thick and congested and it only gets worse as frankfort, mokena, and new lenox are home to republican demographics so the democrats who control the funds for the state will continue to ignore the much needed widening of Lincoln highway like they have been for the past 8 years as well as other much needed improvements.

I've got news for you, little more than 5 years ago LaGrange and Rt. 30 was not some monstrous intersection with 2 turning lanes in each direction...gas stations such as "Phillips 66" were knocked down in order to expand that intersection. the growth of frankfort is ridiculous compared to how it was in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

When I say frankfort has bad traffic, it has bad traffic compared to Frankfort 10-15 years ago before all the cook county types fled their communities after they "discovered" frankfort.

Frankfort was never home to Taco Bells, Home Depot's, Kohl's, etc. That only happened in the past 5-8 years. With all of these new businesses on Rt. 30 and LaGrange, it actually attracts people from neighboring communities to shop there where in the past there was never this draw because Frankfort wasn't home to Applebees, Culvers, and Buffalo Wild Wings like it is now. Those places were in Orland Park and Tinley Park. So this increased draw means, you guessed it! increased traffic...compared to what it was like in previous decades.

Your friend on the police force must not read the police blotter because there have been multiple burglaries that never occured there until the train tracks were removed and replaced with a bike path that sneaks right into Prestwick from neighboring towns with higher crime rates such as Park Forest. Before the Old Plank Trail, there wasn't a low key paved path that directly connected frankfort to these other communities.

what about the man who was shot in the head and had his house set on fire in downtown Frankfort? did your police buddy tell you about that murder/cover up?

I am not saying Frankfort or Prestwick is bad, I am saying Frankfort HAS CHANGED! and it continues to change because of all the cook county types, such as yourself, that keep moving there. it's not the old Frankfort. It's no longer a "quiet suburb" even though the new people who move there may interpret it as such but this is only because they did not know the old, the original Frankfort.

black males with guns doing home invasions and murders with arson to cover them up never occured in frankfort until the rapid growth ensued in the past 8-10 years.

I am glad you enjoy it but you do have to realize that Prestwick has been there for decades and decades on end. Frankfort was incorporated in the mid 1800's...only in the past 5-8 years has things changed. For well over a century, frankfort was undiscovered and off of the map. It remained a nice, quiet suburb for a long, long time. but there is a reason as to why Will County is the 9th fastest growing county in AMERICA! and Frankfort has a lot to do with that. in fact, will county is the only county on the top 10 fastest growing counties in the United States of America not in the sun belt.

So again, enjoy Frankfort but remember there were those there before you and remember the way it used to be...

Again, please don't take offense to my post and I do not mean ANYTHING personal at all. I just have family there and driving there is ridiculous compared to what it was a mere 8-10 years ago. the town has EXPLODED!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
what about the man who was shot in the head and had his house set on fire in downtown Frankfort? did your police buddy tell you about that murder/cover up?
That was not a robbery or random incident, but they know a lot more than they have told the public.

I have been there since March 2008, but my family (cousins and in-laws - no, not the same people - ha) have been there for about 30 years (or however long ago Frankfort Square was built (they do not live there now, but did when it was first built). So I was very familiar with the area prior to moving there.

In that context it has changed a lot - I can't believe how much it has changed - and the towns to the East are not what I would call good. But I was just trying to say that despite some incidents, it is a very safe place for anyone to live. Housing stock is very good and taxes are high, which will help to keep it an upscale, safe area. But, the growth will continue so if you like the rural "feel", it will not be like that for much longer - even though I love how it is now (I am South of Chelsea School, Laraway Road) - still very quiet and peaceful and will hate to see the growth take off again when the economy recovers.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM

and you are totally right in your comment regarding Frankfort's safety. I agree with you 100%.

regarding Frankfort Square and your knowledge of the towns to the east...expect that large community of roughly 10,000 people to head down compared to what it used to be. the demographics are changing. it is unincorporated and home to many 1 and 2 car garage homes that are much more easily affordable than the $600,000+ mansions one will find in Georgetown, Hunters Estates, Butternut, etc.

so i would be leary of Lincoln Way North...compared to Lincoln Way Central and East any way.

Again these aren't major concerns, just changes...that's all. And compared to what one finds when they travel to the east side of Joliet or 10 miles east into chicago heights...it's not bad in the least!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:29 PM

I agree 100% - we specifically chose our location for the 157c school district (Lincoln-Way East), big lots, proximity to parks and schools (and the forest preserve) but 157c was a must for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs