Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 08:27 PM

179 posts, read 271,901 times

Advertisements

I think the northwest suburbs have little pockets of problems that would alarm some people, but in terms of violent crime and gang activity, that nearly always seems to be in apartment complexes that people know from reputation/optics look less than savory anyway. Places like Mt. Prospect and Palatine are big enough that if you want to avoid the sketchiest parts, you can find a home with other single-family houses and not walk right into an apartment complex parking lot when out for a stroll.

I second the poster who wrote that Schaumburg seems to align with your wish list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 02:37 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksbill View Post
Thank you all for your input! This is very helpful. We're closely monitoring MLS listings in the corridor between about Libertyville and Schaumburg.

I have one follow up question regarding gangs and overall safety.
While crime statistics for the North and Northwest burbs are generally pretty reasonable, I have seen numerous references to local gang activity in the news and on social media.

For example, the Latin Kings, Surenos, and Gangster Disciples appear to have a presence in areas like Mt. Prospect and Palatine. I try to take sensational news stories and social media posts with a grain of salt, but the police in both of these towns have set up gang units, which is slightly alarming.

I was reading some comments written by a Mt. Prospect apartment resident (very anecdotal, I know) who had a family member get "jumped" by Latin King gang members on the way to school--north of Algonquin near Busse Rd, right on the Prosect High boundary (and Hersey's district includes the Boxwood area which also looks pretty questionable). Even if this is a relatively uncommon occurrence, this is the type of thing that I'd like to avoid completely.

Am I being overly cautious here, or are there legitimately bad areas dispersed throughout some of these otherwise highly regarded Northwest suburbs?
This should not be a personal concern unless you or your loved ones plan on joining a gang. There is gang activity throughout the Chicagoland area. It is a community concern and a problem for those directly involved. It is not something that I am actively worried about as a resident.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:24 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
This should not be a personal concern unless you or your loved ones plan on joining a gang. There is gang activity throughout the Chicagoland area. It is a community concern and a problem for those directly involved. It is not something that I am actively worried about as a resident.
I would agree - gang activity usually involves gangs vs gangs, not gangs vs "civilians". All the years I lived in the suburbs, gang stuff never even crossed my mind.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:39 AM

17 posts, read 12,618 times
Northbrook.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:17 AM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
I don't want to start another thread so I hope I can piggyback off of this.

Is there anything similar to Naperville, price, demographics, safety, etc but closer in? Looking for some diversity, friendly neighbors good schools etc

Old 12-18-2023, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,107 times
Not the same size since Naperville has about 150k people
But, Hinsdale, Elmhurst and Park Ridge are very nice (albeit smaller) and closer in

Old 12-18-2023, 02:14 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksbill View Post
Thank you all for your input! This is very helpful. We're closely monitoring MLS listings in the corridor between about Libertyville and Schaumburg.

I have one follow up question regarding gangs and overall safety.
While crime statistics for the North and Northwest burbs are generally pretty reasonable, I have seen numerous references to local gang activity in the news and on social media.

For example, the Latin Kings, Surenos, and Gangster Disciples appear to have a presence in areas like Mt. Prospect and Palatine. I try to take sensational news stories and social media posts with a grain of salt, but the police in both of these towns have set up gang units, which is slightly alarming.

I was reading some comments written by a Mt. Prospect apartment resident (very anecdotal, I know) who had a family member get "jumped" by Latin King gang members on the way to school--north of Algonquin near Busse Rd, right on the Prosect High boundary (and Hersey's district includes the Boxwood area which also looks pretty questionable). Even if this is a relatively uncommon occurrence, this is the type of thing that I'd like to avoid completely.

Am I being overly cautious here, or are there legitimately bad areas dispersed throughout some of these otherwise highly regarded Northwest suburbs?
The idea of "gangs" in mount prospect is pretty laughable. If there are gangs there, you won't notice them. I realize you don't know better being from out of town, but in this case your gut intuition is right which is that gangs in that area are sensationalized nonsense. I'm sure the person who got jumped just assumed the offenders gang affiliation... That isn't to say some parts of MP aren't dicey, but it's not like you'd ever notice gang activity there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollingcentrist View Post
I agree with the skepticism about LZ/Barrington/Fremd and would only recommend if commuting via the Barrington/Palatine train station is acceptable. Their variety of housing options for OP's preferences makes them worth a look. Overall, OP appears to be looking for Hersey/Prospect if they can find a suitable house. I'm not familiar with the Western Suburbs other than Oak Park, Hinsdale/Oak Brook, and Naperville so can't help much there.

Deerfield is much more in "elite world" with pressure cooker academics and less political diversity (very progressive).

I'm quite familiar with Park Ridge. I've only heard of airplane noise being problematic in the small portion south of Devon. Others don't even notice it. But Park Ridge is far more expensive. Park Ridge's greatest appeals that justify its expense while sacrificing space don't seem to matter to OP: walkability, charming downtown, central location, and being culturally connected to Chicago's northwest side (strong community spirit and roots, active Catholic presence, outspoken, sporty).
As someone who lives in Park Ridge, the airplane noise anywhere north of Touhy is pretty unnoticeable, at least from inside the house. If you get closer to devon, then yes airplanes interrupt outdoor conversations and can occasionally be bothersome indoors.

From my experience up near Milwaukee and Oakton we only have heavy airplane noise during inclement weather, which for me is perfect because I'm not outside when it's raining.

With that being said, I don't think Park Ridge is for the OP from a housing perspective relative to their budget. I agree with you completely about the advantages not being for the OP.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:15 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 6 days ago)

792 posts, read 373,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post

Is there anything similar to Naperville, price, demographics, safety, etc but closer in? Looking for some diversity, friendly neighbors good schools etc
Downers Grove. Western Springs. LaGrange.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:56 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Downers Grove. Western Springs. LaGrange.
Similar, but the same house in either of these towns will be more expensive than Naperville.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:40 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post

I would recommend you look into Elmhurst. Very similar vibes to naperville and similar demographics but a bit more diverse. The major benefit to Elmhurst is that it's much closer to downtown and the urban center. Great schools too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs